Windows XP Media Centre User Account Login Menu Lost

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by doS, Dec 4, 2007.

  1. doS

    doS Guest

    restore it back

    tezza, Dec 4, 2007

  3. doS

    Mike Easter Guest

    tezza wrote:
    > You know that initial login interface that displays a list of userids
    > accompanied by an icon to the left?

    kb 817142 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817142 The "Welcome to
    Windows" Logon Screen Does Not Appear When You Start the Computer

    > Well it's disappeared! Now all I
    > get is the login dialogue box. I can still log in to all the user
    > accounts by entering a valid user in the appropriate field but the
    > menu screen doesn't appear anymore.

    The kb article suggests that it might have been caused by pcAnywhere
    install or a replacement of msgina.dll w/ awgina.dll for the fast user
    switching interface.

    > Anyone got any idea how I can restore it?

    If it was lost from installing something wittingly or unwittingly, you
    would uninstall that and/or make a registry fix described in the kb.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 4, 2007
  4. doS

    tezza Guest

    >> You know that initial login interface that displays a list of userids
    >> accompanied by an icon to the left?

    > kb 817142 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817142 The "Welcome to
    > Windows" Logon Screen Does Not Appear When You Start the Computer
    >
    >> Well it's disappeared! Now all I
    >> get is the login dialogue box. I can still log in to all the user
    >> accounts by entering a valid user in the appropriate field but the
    >> menu screen doesn't appear anymore.

    > The kb article suggests that it might have been caused by pcAnywhere
    > install or a replacement of msgina.dll w/ awgina.dll for the fast user
    > switching interface.
    >
    >> Anyone got any idea how I can restore it?

    > If it was lost from installing something wittingly or unwittingly, you
    > would uninstall that and/or make a registry fix described in the kb.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    thanks mike. it's a colleague's personal laptop which she brought in to my
    workplace yesterday. i'll check out the kb article tomorrow when i'm in
    front of it.

    and thanks for the quick response

    tezza, Dec 5, 2007
  5. doS

    tezza Guest

    >> You know that initial login interface that displays a list of userids
    >> accompanied by an icon to the left?

    > kb 817142 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817142 The "Welcome to
    > Windows" Logon Screen Does Not Appear When You Start the Computer
    >
    >> Well it's disappeared! Now all I
    >> get is the login dialogue box. I can still log in to all the user
    >> accounts by entering a valid user in the appropriate field but the
    >> menu screen doesn't appear anymore.

    > The kb article suggests that it might have been caused by pcAnywhere
    > install or a replacement of msgina.dll w/ awgina.dll for the fast user
    > switching interface.
    >
    >> Anyone got any idea how I can restore it?

    > If it was lost from installing something wittingly or unwittingly, you
    > would uninstall that and/or make a registry fix described in the kb.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    well, the gina dll and registry entry were just fine. But, i did discover a
    relevant checkbox in the User Account applet of the control panel. It had
    become unchecked. D'oh! Still, she's happy now

    thanks for your help

    tezza, Dec 5, 2007
  6. doS

    JF Guest

    Xdo5j.333$...

    JF, Dec 6, 2007
  7. doS

    George Guest

    JF wrote:
    > "doS" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > Xdo5j.333$...
    >> restore it back
    >>
    >> "tezza" <> wrote in message
    >>> You know that initial login interface that displays a list of
    >>> userids accompanied by an icon to the left? Well it's disappeared!
    >>> Now all I get is the login dialogue box. I can still log in to all
    >>> the user accounts by entering a valid user in the appropriate field
    >>> but the menu screen doesn't appear anymore.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone got any idea how I can restore it?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> tezza

    Sign on as administrator. Control panel - user accounts. Change the way
    users sign on. There should be a button for "Use welcome screen."

    George, Dec 7, 2007