Windows XP Logon taking ages and icons are 'broken'

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by AcidX, Mar 4, 2006.

  1. AcidX

    AcidX Guest

    Heya.
    Earlier today I rebooted my computer (it was working fine before this)
    but then when I tried to logon it was taking ages.
    It logs on eventually, but when it does all my icons are broken and my
    quicklaunch bar isn't working and neither are any of the items in the
    start menu.
    my computer's basically acting as if all the programs have uninstalled
    themselves (but the programs are still installed and I don't get
    warning messages saying the program couldn't be found - even when I
    reinstall programs or install new ones they still don't work from the
    start menu) but that might be due to the fact I ran a few registry
    scanners to try and fix the problem.

    It's very unlikely that it's a hardware problem, unless something
    inside just decided it didn't want to work and has somehow managed to
    damage user domains...?

    Another thing to take note of is that, when in safe mode, logon runs
    fine (at normal speed) but the programs in the start menu and
    quicklaunch bar still don't work.

    So basically... There appears to be something wrong with my
    shortcuts/icon images (they are all that one that windows puts on an
    unrecognised file) and something related to this problem is causing
    windows logon to take ages! (As this happened at the same time, I feel
    it's safe to assume they're related)
    Anyone know what could be wrong and ways to fix it?

    AcidX, Mar 4, 2006

  2. AcidX

    Brian Guest

    sounds like something you installed (possibly), try a system restore to the
    day it was working

    Brian, Mar 5, 2006