Windows XP Login

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jerry G., Oct 23, 2004.

  1. Jerry G.

    Jerry G. Guest

    I have a computer that is running Win XP-Pro. The other day I installed
    Framework 1.1 with its upgrade. This had to be done in order to use an
    interface software for an external scientific calculator for the
    machine. It is the TI Voyager 200, that I have to interface with the
    computers here.

    Since I did this, the logon has changed. I used to have the machine set
    up so that when it was started, or restarted, it would not show a
    welcome screen, and ask for a login. It would directly start up for me.

    There is a utility called control userpasswords2 that can be typed in at
    the system prompt. This allows the direct configuration change for the
    users. I saw that there is a prompt that the check mark can be removed.
    The prompt at the checkmark indicates to have the users to not have to
    log in on start-up. When I removed this check mark, the machine was put
    back to its birthdate, or the time when XP-Pro was first installed. I
    was able to go back to where I am now, so that I do not have to
    re-configure everything back up again.

    In TweakUI, there is a similar command where the check mark can be
    removed. When removing this check mark, the system will re-start the way
    I want, but only for the one time. Something is starting up with
    Windows, that is making the change back again.

    If I have to, I can live with this, but I would prefer to have the
    computer be able to start up without me having to log in, since I am the
    main person who uses the machine.

    Maybe someone has a solution for this?

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Oct 23, 2004

  2. Jerry G.

    Skeleton Man Guest

    >I have a computer that is running Win XP-Pro. The other day I installed
    >Framework 1.1 with its upgrade.

    >Since I did this, the logon has changed. I used to have the machine set
    >up so that when it was started, or restarted, it would not show a
    >welcome screen, and ask for a login. It would directly start up for me.

    This is a hardware group, and your question relates to software, but I'll
    try and answer anyway.

    >There is a utility called control userpasswords2 that can be typed in at
    >the system prompt. This allows the direct configuration change for the
    >users. I saw that there is a prompt that the check mark can be removed.

    This what you want, it should say something like "users must enter a
    username and password to use this computer" (I don't run XP at home, so I
    don't remember the exact wording). When you untick the box, you should be
    prompted for a username and password to automatically logon with.

    >When I removed this check mark, the machine was put
    >back to its birthdate, or the time when XP-Pro was first installed.

    Something tells me the username you put for auto-logon was not the one it
    was using before, hence nothing appeard to be setup (just as if it was a
    fresh install). Make sure the username you put in at the prompt, is the same
    user you are logged on as currently.

    Regards,
    Chris

    Skeleton Man, Oct 23, 2004

  3. Jerry G.

    Skeleton Man Guest

    >> This is a hardware group

    >Of course, you can quote the charter or FAQ on that, can't you, you
    >fuckheaded moron? And when you get around to it, there are three groups in
    >the header, so quote all of them, okay?

    Does mummy know you're using the computer ?

    Chris

    Skeleton Man, Oct 23, 2004
  4. Jerry G.

    Skeleton Man Guest

    >I take it that means you realise your total fuckup and that you cannot
    quote
    >either a FAQ or a charter. You can **** off and die now, you fat-mouthed
    >****.

    alt.comp.HARDWARE ... do I really need to make it any more obvious than
    that ? you stupid or just blind ?

    Chris

    Skeleton Man, Oct 23, 2004
  5. Jerry G.

    Skeleton Man Guest

    >You still can't quote a FAQ or charter?

    To my knowledge neither officially exist for alt.comp.hardware..

    >when you wrote "This is a hardware group", were you
    >completely oblivious to the fact that there were multiple groups involved?

    We're going to make song and dance now because I forgot to put the name of
    the group ? grow up..

    Chris

    Skeleton Man, Oct 23, 2004
  6. Jerry G.

    HonestJohn Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    >I have a computer that is running Win XP-Pro. The other day I
    >installed
    > Framework 1.1 with its upgrade. This had to be done in order to
    > use an
    > interface software for an external scientific calculator for the
    > machine. It is the TI Voyager 200, that I have to interface with
    > the
    > computers here.
    >
    > Since I did this, the logon has changed. I used to have the
    > machine set
    > up so that when it was started, or restarted, it would not show
    > welcome screen, and ask for a login. It would directly start up
    > for me.
    >
    > There is a utility called control userpasswords2 that can be
    > typed in at
    > the system prompt. This allows the direct configuration change
    > for the
    > users. I saw that there is a prompt that the check mark can be
    > removed.
    > The prompt at the checkmark indicates to have the users to not
    > have to
    > log in on start-up. When I removed this check mark, the machine
    > was put
    > back to its birthdate, or the time when XP-Pro was first
    > installed. I
    > was able to go back to where I am now, so that I do not have to
    > re-configure everything back up again.
    >
    > In TweakUI, there is a similar command where the check mark can
    > be
    > removed. When removing this check mark, the system will re-start
    > the way
    > I want, but only for the one time. Something is starting up with
    > Windows, that is making the change back again.
    >
    > If I have to, I can live with this, but I would prefer to have
    > the
    > computer be able to start up without me having to log in, since
    > I am the
    > main person who uses the machine.
    >
    > Maybe someone has a solution for this?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Jerry G.
    > ======

    Try this. Go to Run on the Start menu and type 'control
    userpasswords2' (without the
    quotes) then OK. Select your user name then uncheck the item
    'Users must
    enter a user name and password.' then OK.

    To finish off Go to Run on the Start menu again and this time
    enter 'control
    userpasswords' and select 'Change the way users log on or off' and
    make sure
    that both 'Use the Welcome Screen' and 'Use Fast User Switching'
    are
    unchecked.

    HonestJohn, Oct 23, 2004
  7. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sat,
    23 Oct 2004 07:10:45 GMT, "Skeleton Man" <>
    screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

    >>> This is a hardware group

    >>Of course, you can quote the charter or FAQ on that, can't you, you
    >>fuckheaded moron? And when you get around to it, there are three groups in
    >>the header, so quote all of them, okay?

    >Does mummy know you're using the computer ?

    I wish your mummy had swallowed you. It would've reduced the number of
    fuckwits posting to Usenet by one.

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Oct 23, 2004
  8. Jerry G.

    Thor Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    >I have a computer that is running Win XP-Pro. The other day I installed
    > Framework 1.1 with its upgrade. This had to be done in order to use an
    > interface software for an external scientific calculator for the
    > machine. It is the TI Voyager 200, that I have to interface with the
    > computers here.
    >
    > Since I did this, the logon has changed. I used to have the machine set
    > up so that when it was started, or restarted, it would not show a
    > welcome screen, and ask for a login. It would directly start up for me.

    Jerry, if you go to your user accounts section in the control panel, you
    will see that the .Net framework has created an additional account. The
    cause the logon screen to appear, but the additional account does not appear
    as a login choice. If you delete this .Net account, your logon will return
    to normal. Removing it hasn't seemed to affect the applications I run which
    rely on .Net framework, although there may be some apps that do rely on it,
    so YMMV.

    Thor, Oct 23, 2004
  9. Jerry G.

    Not Me Guest

    I do volunteer tech support (in the land of the blind the one eyed man is
    king) for the local Hospice.

    We had some serious flooding and one clients has lost both their XPpro CD,
    the key and their pass word when their home flooded but still has the lap
    top (Toshiba 1805-5203).

    Is there any way to access the pass word and key data?

    Regards

    Not Me, Oct 23, 2004
  10. Jerry G.

    Eli Kane Guest

    Skeleton Man wrote:

    >>You still can't quote a FAQ or charter?

    > To my knowledge neither officially exist for alt.comp.hardware..
    >
    >>when you wrote "This is a hardware group", were you
    >>completely oblivious to the fact that there were multiple groups involved?

    > We're going to make song and dance now because I forgot to put the name of
    > the group ? grow up..
    >

    > Chris

    Usenet would be so much nicer without the pottymouthed 14 year olds being
    allowed in, eh?

    Eli

    Eli Kane, Oct 23, 2004

    Marcario Economides, Oct 23, 2004

    Jij etterpuistige lelijke vat zonder bodem, Oct 23, 2004
  13. Jerry G.

    Dr. Zonk Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:22:44 GMT, "Skeleton Man"
    <> wrote:

    >>You still can't quote a FAQ or charter?

    >To my knowledge neither officially exist for alt.comp.hardware..
    >
    >>when you wrote "This is a hardware group", were you
    >>completely oblivious to the fact that there were multiple groups involved?

    >We're going to make song and dance now because I forgot to put the name of
    >the group ? grow up..

    No, you grow up, you lily livered twat sniffing head up your ass
    twong.

    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

    Dr. Zonk

    Dr. Zonk, Oct 23, 2004
  14. Jerry G.

    Dr. Zonk Guest

    Dr. Zonk, Oct 23, 2004
  15. Jerry G.

    kony Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 02:41:22 -0400, "Jerry G."
    <> wrote:

    >I have a computer that is running Win XP-Pro. The other day I installed
    >Framework 1.1 with its upgrade. This had to be done in order to use an
    >interface software for an external scientific calculator for the
    >machine. It is the TI Voyager 200, that I have to interface with the
    >computers here.
    >
    >Since I did this, the logon has changed. I used to have the machine set
    >up so that when it was started, or restarted, it would not show a
    >welcome screen, and ask for a login. It would directly start up for me.
    >
    >There is a utility called control userpasswords2 that can be typed in at
    >the system prompt. This allows the direct configuration change for the
    >users. I saw that there is a prompt that the check mark can be removed.
    >The prompt at the checkmark indicates to have the users to not have to
    >log in on start-up. When I removed this check mark, the machine was put
    >back to its birthdate, or the time when XP-Pro was first installed. I
    >was able to go back to where I am now, so that I do not have to
    >re-configure everything back up again.
    >
    >In TweakUI, there is a similar command where the check mark can be
    >removed. When removing this check mark, the system will re-start the way
    >I want, but only for the one time. Something is starting up with
    >Windows, that is making the change back again.
    >
    >If I have to, I can live with this, but I would prefer to have the
    >computer be able to start up without me having to log in, since I am the
    >main person who uses the machine.
    >
    >Maybe someone has a solution for this?

    Try posting in a WinXP oriented newsgroup ONLY, not general
    support, general computer, or hardware. Not only is it the
    appropriate, expedient thing to do, but it also causes less
    distractions for the pinhead trolls.

    kony, Oct 23, 2004
  16. Jerry G.

    Not Me Guest

    "Dr. Zonk"

    | >Before everyone gets into a p*ssiung match it might be prudent to check
    | >see that the post was cross posed to other groups.
    | >
    | >BTW where did you get the idea that using fowl language made you a man?
    |
    | Learn how to spell correctly, you crotch sniffing, fart blowing
    | assfuck.....

    Spelling problems are a side effect of open heart surgery. At one time I
    could do business in 4 languages, now having problems with English but am
    still happy with the result as the alternative...is far less appealing.

    Not Me, Oct 23, 2004