    restrictions etc.
    Also games won't run

    Thanks for any help

    Jim, Sep 6, 2005

  2. Jim

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in news:dfkdti$cjv$:

    > Hi / peeps
    >
    > Can one install a program/game etc under a limited user account in XP
    > Home Reason i'm asking this is because my daugter ihas a limit user
    > account on my computer.
    > When she tries to use microsoft word 97 a error message comes about
    > restrictions etc.
    > Also games won't run
    >
    > Thanks for any help

    No, the user-account must have Admin rights to install anything on the NT
    based O/S. The Limited account also stops some programs from working. You
    should search Google on more information about the Limited account usage on
    the XP O/S.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Sep 6, 2005

  3. Jim

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:51:18 +0100, Jim wrote:

    >Hi / peeps
    >
    >Can one install a program/game etc under a limited user account in XP Home

    Sometimes, maybe or not.

    >Reason i'm asking this is because my daugter ihas a limit user account on my
    >computer.
    >When she tries to use microsoft word 97 a error message comes about
    >restrictions etc.

    Funny you mention Word 97, www.google.com

    Solution by PC Magazine: Limited User Accounts
    Limited-user accounts won't make you exploit-proof, but they will
    generally ... in Micro-soft Word 97 will not run on Windows XP when
    you're a limited user ...
    www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1683498,00.asp - 75k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    >Also games won't run

    No surprise.

    >Thanks for any help

    On a Windows 2000 PC with limited account, some stuff needs admin to
    install or play so my answer is if installs as admin and runs on a
    limited account fine. Otherwise tough.

    I can't remember what the current config on the games machine is I don't
    use use it and it's been a year since it was rebuilt. I have tried -

    Use RunAs to install.

    Create a games group and folder. set full permissions to the games group
    on the folder and add usernames to the group.

    Also have a FAT32 partition, i.e. no NTFS permissions, to install games
    on.

    Some issues, www.google.com helped.

    A few times I added the games group with change permissions to the odd
    system file or folder if needed.

    The problem is most games are different, maybe there is a newsgroup or
    one of many games forum's to ask in.

    Me

    why?, Sep 6, 2005
  4. Jim wrote:

    > Hi / peeps
    >
    > Can one install a program/game etc under a limited user account in XP Home
    > Reason i'm asking this is because my daugter ihas a limit user account on
    > my computer.
    > When she tries to use microsoft word 97 a error message comes about
    > restrictions etc.
    > Also games won't run

    Office97 probably wants to write into system folders or system registry
    hive. It is simply too old to follow the concept of userspace/system
    separation, since it was intended for win9x which had no filesystem
    security at all. Same goes for older games, while even the latest and
    greatest games might want to run as admin because of the direct hardware
    access (force-feedback joystick, graphic functions) they demand.

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Sep 6, 2005