Windows XP licensing

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Nimrod, May 12, 2004.

  1. Nimrod

    Nimrod Guest

    I've been playing around with PCs since the mid 80s.

    So, I've given a lot of money to Microsoft.

    I have bought OEM versions or the upgrades for every thing from DOS
    2.11, through Windows 3.1, Dos 5, Dos 6, Windows 95, Windows NT 3.5,
    Windows NT 4.0, NT Server and now Windows 2000.

    Oh..and don't forget Visual Basic and Access and Excel.

    Ok, I'll speculate (as opposed to admit) that here and there I was a
    little sloppy with a license. I've always had more than one machine
    and have networked as many as three at a time together with a mix of
    OSes including Linux (Redhat and others).

    I'm sure a lot of you guys do this too (because it's fun if nothing
    else).

    Well, I've been holding off on getting Windows XP because I've heard
    that the license is really strict. That it stops working if you don't
    validate the license with MS with a snapshot of the hardware.

    Is this true? How do you guys work with Windows XP in your study labs?

    -Nim
    Nimrod, May 12, 2004

  2. "Nimrod" <> wrote in message
    > I've been playing around with PCs since the mid 80s.
    >
    > So, I've given a lot of money to Microsoft.
    >
    > I have bought OEM versions or the upgrades for every thing from DOS
    > 2.11, through Windows 3.1, Dos 5, Dos 6, Windows 95, Windows NT 3.5,
    > Windows NT 4.0, NT Server and now Windows 2000.
    >
    > Oh..and don't forget Visual Basic and Access and Excel.
    >
    > Ok, I'll speculate (as opposed to admit) that here and there I was a
    > little sloppy with a license. I've always had more than one machine
    > and have networked as many as three at a time together with a mix of
    > OSes including Linux (Redhat and others).
    >
    > I'm sure a lot of you guys do this too (because it's fun if nothing
    > else).
    >
    > Well, I've been holding off on getting Windows XP because I've heard
    > that the license is really strict. That it stops working if you don't
    > validate the license with MS with a snapshot of the hardware.
    >
    > Is this true? How do you guys work with Windows XP in your study labs?

    It's true (about XP). If you don't "activate" it within a certain number of
    days, then it will cease to work. There is a "corporate edition" that
    doesn't require activation, but I think there's some cheap (and legal) ways
    to obtain them.

    When I was studying for A+, I had a legal copy of Windows XP and then I
    obtained a "borrowed" copy of 2000 and Windows 98 from my friend. That
    worked great for me. I think there's some cheap ways to obtain the older
    OS's though, like a "trial version" with MCSE books or something.
    Patrick Michael, May 12, 2004

  3. Nimrod

    Geoff Guest

    Nimrod wrote:
    > I've been playing around with PCs since the mid 80s.
    >
    > So, I've given a lot of money to Microsoft.
    >
    > I have bought OEM versions or the upgrades for every thing from DOS
    > 2.11, through Windows 3.1, Dos 5, Dos 6, Windows 95, Windows NT 3.5,
    > Windows NT 4.0, NT Server and now Windows 2000.
    >
    > Oh..and don't forget Visual Basic and Access and Excel.
    >
    > Ok, I'll speculate (as opposed to admit) that here and there I was a
    > little sloppy with a license. I've always had more than one machine
    > and have networked as many as three at a time together with a mix of
    > OSes including Linux (Redhat and others).
    >
    > I'm sure a lot of you guys do this too (because it's fun if nothing
    > else).
    >
    > Well, I've been holding off on getting Windows XP because I've heard
    > that the license is really strict. That it stops working if you don't
    > validate the license with MS with a snapshot of the hardware.
    >
    > Is this true? How do you guys work with Windows XP in your study labs?
    >

    > -Nim

    the legal way of owning windows xp is install it on a pc, and then activate
    it which sends hardware id info about that pc to microsoft, if you try and
    install windows on another pc, or you change too much hardware in that pc,
    windows will want to activate again, it's anti piracy controls of course, if
    it won't activate you have to phone ms etc etc

    the 'slightly' less legal way is: buy windows xp as before, and install the
    preactivated version(your cd key won't work in it of course)

    basicly if you play with hardware and change it around winxp is a joke, and
    the jokes on you
    Geoff, May 12, 2004
  4. Nimrod

    Nimrod Guest

    >You buy it. You put it on one computer. If you do put it on a second one you
    >leave off the 'net and kill it before it deactivates, or after it
    >deactivates.

    If it is connected to the Net will it go right to MS and rat me out?

    -Nim
    Nimrod, May 12, 2004
  5. Nimrod

    Nimrod Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 20:42:25 GMT, Barry Watzman
    <> wrote:

    >No; activation does not occur unless you either manually initiate it or,
    >at the very least, allow it to occur (e.g. you are asked if you want to
    >activate now, and you can say "no").
    >
    >You can use the product for 30 days without activating.
    >
    >Activation resets after 4 months with no changes to the system. That
    >is, if a given product key has had no changes to the configuration of
    >the system on which it's installed (that require reactivation), the

    >I will post another suggestion shortly.

    What's the other suggestion?

    I got lost in this thread watching people insult each other...
    Nimrod, May 13, 2004