    issue, are there any free memory testers out there that I could boot off a
    floppy?

    I know there are some solid tech guys in this group. Hope y'all can help!

    Johnny Gyno, Apr 2, 2005

  2. Johnny Gyno

    philo Guest

    Johnny Gyno wrote:
    > This has happened to me four times today, where everything on my screen
    > locks up, and the taskbar turns black. Any windows I have open kind of
    > half-disappear, and you can see parts of the desktop behind them. The mouse
    > pointer moves around fine.
    >
    > I'm running Windows XP SP 1 on a Dell Pentium III 450, and it's been fine
    > for about two years now(I only paid $100 for it, and I'm trying to squeeze
    > every penny out of it that I can, before I build myself a new rig).
    >
    > I haven't installed any new software.
    >
    > All my critical data is backed up, so I'm fine there.
    >
    > Could this be processor or memory-related? And if it could be a memory
    > issue, are there any free memory testers out there that I could boot off a
    > floppy?
    >
    > I know there are some solid tech guys in this group. Hope y'all can help!

    check the cpu temp
    or open the machine and check *all* cooling fans...clean out dust

    as to memory testers from a boot floppy

    just google for memtest86 or

    here is one i really like :

    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    philo, Apr 2, 2005

  3. Johnny Gyno

    Plato Guest

    Johnny Gyno wrote:

    > This has happened to me four times today, where everything on my screen
    > locks up, and the taskbar turns black. Any windows I have open kind of
    > half-disappear, and you can see parts of the desktop behind them. The mouse
    > pointer moves around fine.

    Cant hurt to put in the right video drivers again. The originals may
    have been corrupted.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 2, 2005
  4. Johnny Gyno

    Sultan Guest

    Johnny Gyno <> wrote in

    > This has happened to me four times today, where everything on my
    > screen locks up, and the taskbar turns black. Any windows I have

    open
    > kind of half-disappear, and you can see parts of the desktop behind
    > them. The mouse pointer moves around fine.
    >
    > I'm running Windows XP SP 1 on a Dell Pentium III 450, and it's been
    > fine for about two years now(I only paid $100 for it, and I'm trying
    > to squeeze every penny out of it that I can, before I build myself a
    > new rig).
    >
    > I haven't installed any new software.
    >
    > All my critical data is backed up, so I'm fine there.
    >
    > Could this be processor or memory-related? And if it could be a
    > memory issue, are there any free memory testers out there that I

    could
    > boot off a floppy?
    >
    > I know there are some solid tech guys in this group. Hope y'all can
    > help!

    If all else fails and since you have been running it for two years now
    I would suggest doing a clean install of XP. I would also urge you to
    get SP2 and all other Critical updates installed so your pc doesn't
    become a zombie machine for the spammers. The pc you save may be your
    own.

    Sultan

    Sultan, Apr 3, 2005