    avoid this in the futur.

    Thanks
    Much appreciated

    EW105, Nov 17, 2005

  2. EW105

    M Guest

    "EW105" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > It's my kid's computer, they're trying to do some homework. I installed
    > winXP some time ago after getting tired of the problems I was having
    > with win98. Knew more about 98 but not much about XP. I do alt control
    > delete to see what is running and in the performance tab it says cpu
    > usage 100%. In the process tab I have about 25-30 items listed although
    > most are at 0 percent usage. Many of them are listed more than once. The
    > % varies continuously on the task manager and 2 or 3 other
    > applications.(z4tdal5.exe twice).If I try to end the processes, it
    > doesn't seem to have any effect. What's wrong, how can we fix it and
    > avoid this in the futur.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Much appreciated

    1. Load and run AdAware and Spybot
    2. Tell your kid not to download every application he finds.
    3. Know where s/he is browsing to to see if those sites download any bad
    stuff
    4. Use msconfig to control what programs/processes start at bootup.
    5. One-by-one, investigate each suspicious application/process by putting
    its name in Google. z4tdal5.exe, for exampe is suspicious because it doesn't
    show up in Google..
    6. Since your system ran W98, perhaps its underpowered for XP and is slow
    because of the many processes XP needs.

    HTH
    Mike

    M, Nov 17, 2005

  3. "EW105" <> wrote in message
    > It's my kid's computer, they're trying to do some homework. I installed
    > winXP some time ago after getting tired of the problems I was having
    > with win98. Knew more about 98 but not much about XP. I do alt control
    > delete to see what is running and in the performance tab it says cpu
    > usage 100%. In the process tab I have about 25-30 items listed although
    > most are at 0 percent usage. Many of them are listed more than once. The
    > % varies continuously on the task manager and 2 or 3 other
    > applications.(z4tdal5.exe twice).If I try to end the processes, it
    > doesn't seem to have any effect. What's wrong, how can we fix it and
    > avoid this in the futur.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Much appreciated

    Install Winpatrol (freeware) www.winpatrol.com and you can easily disable or
    remove any startup programs.

    **SS**

    Secret Squiddle, Nov 17, 2005
  4. EW105

    Dan Evans Guest

    "EW105" <> wrote in message

    > It's my kid's computer, they're trying to do some homework. I installed
    > winXP some time ago after getting tired of the problems I was having
    > with win98.

    If it's a Win98 era machine, it isn't potent enough for XP (though it *will*
    run, just).

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 17, 2005
  5. EW105

    jholland1964 Guest

    EW105, One thing XP does require is more ram than 128mb, if that is al
    that is on the machine then this will slow things down. But if th
    computer ran fine when you first installed XP then it sounds as i
    there is "something" there that shouldn't be, especially with you
    description of the task manager items.
    I would highly recommend that you go to this sticky '*ATTENTION: Rea
    Me Before Posting For Help!!*
    (http://forum.iamnotageek.com/t-1819059447.html
    over in the * HijackThis - Spyware, Worms, Viruses, Trojans *forum an
    follow all the instructions there. Once you have completed all the step
    then run HiJackThis and start a new thread THERE with all this info an
    a copy of the HJT log. There probably is some spyware/malware on th
    machine since the file you note, z4tdal5.exe, is an unknown file
    Somebody over there will be happy to look at your log and give advic
    on cleaning up and then protecting the machine from further problems

    --
    jholland196
    jholland1964's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1050

    jholland1964, Nov 17, 2005
  6. EW105

    Ron Martell Guest

    EW105 <> wrote:

    >It's my kid's computer, they're trying to do some homework. I installed
    >winXP some time ago after getting tired of the problems I was having
    >with win98. Knew more about 98 but not much about XP. I do alt control
    >delete to see what is running and in the performance tab it says cpu
    >usage 100%. In the process tab I have about 25-30 items listed although
    >most are at 0 percent usage. Many of them are listed more than once. The
    >% varies continuously on the task manager and 2 or 3 other
    >applications.(z4tdal5.exe twice).If I try to end the processes, it
    >doesn't seem to have any effect. What's wrong, how can we fix it and
    >avoid this in the futur.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Much appreciated

    Your computer does appear to have a virus, trojan or spyware
    infestation. A Google web search for z4tdal5.exe fails to find a
    single reference anywhere, which is a very strong indication that this
    is an artificial program name generated by a virus/trojan/spyware
    item.

    How much RAM does you computer have? A Windows 98 era machine would
    not normally have enough RAM to give really good performance with
    Windows XP. If the CPU speed is below 700 mhz then you probably
    should have at least 512 mb of RAM to allow XP to operate with minimal
    need to actually using the paging (swap) file. If the CPU speed is
    more than 700 mhz but less than 1.5 ghz then you could get away with
    perhaps 384 mb of RAM, as the processor is fast enough to compensate
    for some limited use of the paging (swap) file. And for system with
    CPUs faster than 1.5 ghz they really should have at least 256 mb of
    RAM in order to get reasonable performance.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)