    distribution only with a new Dell computer".

    I would like to know if this CD will install Windows XP on my computer,
    which is not a Dell computer. Thank you.

    j, Dec 29, 2006

  2. j

    Grappletech Guest

    You'll probably have to erase the Win98 OS for the XP to install, but it
    should work unless it's tweaked in some way. I have a copy of Win98SE that
    says "only for Dell" but it loads on everything. Just backup your data and
    try it; you can always go back to Win98 if the XP doesn't work (assuming
    you have the Win98 CD).

    Grappletech, Dec 29, 2006

  3. j

    Baron Guest

    j wrote:

    > I am running Windows 98. I recently bought a disk at a garage sale
    > that is a factory disk, purple in color, and it says "operating
    > system, reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    > Including Service Pack 1".
    >
    > Below that it says "Only use this CD to reinstall the operating
    > system on a Dell computer. This CD is not for reinstallation of
    > programs or drivers. For distribution only with a new Dell
    > computer".
    >
    > I would like to know if this CD will install Windows XP on my
    > computer, which is not a Dell computer. Thank you.

    Try it and see ! These re-install disks usually look for the word
    "DELL" in the bios. If it does install you will need an install key
    for it !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.