    anti-virus program I have on computer. I would greatly appreciate hearing
    from anyone, as to what my problem is and what I can attempt to do to
    correct. Thank You.

    Jay R Griepentrog, Jan 30, 2004

  2. Jay R Griepentrog

    Kráftéé Guest

    Jay R Griepentrog wrote:
    > I currently have Windows 98 on my computer, and wish to update to
    > Windows XP. I was told that in order to do this, I would need to
    > install Window 98 Second Edition prior to the XP in sort of a
    > procession. When attempting to install SE, I get a message that
    > updating cannot continue, because an anti-virus program may be
    > blocking attempt, and to remove and try again. I have McAfee
    > VirusScan V.8, and even after removing, I still get that same
    > message about an anti-virus program blocking. The McAfee is the
    > only anti-virus program I have on computer. I would greatly
    > appreciate hearing from anyone, as to what my problem is and what I
    > can attempt to do to correct. Thank You.

    Have you got a bios anti virus turned on??

    Kráftéé, Jan 30, 2004

  3. Jay R Griepentrog

    philo Guest

    "Jay R Griepentrog" <> wrote in message
    > I currently have Windows 98 on my computer, and wish to update to Windows
    > XP. I was told that in order to do this, I would need to install Window

    98
    > Second Edition prior to the XP in sort of a procession. When attempting to
    > install SE, I get a message that updating cannot continue, because an
    > anti-virus program may be blocking attempt, and to remove and try again. I
    > have McAfee VirusScan V.8, and even after removing, I still get that same
    > message about an anti-virus program blocking. The McAfee is the only
    > anti-virus program I have on computer. I would greatly appreciate hearing
    > from anyone, as to what my problem is and what I can attempt to do to
    > correct. Thank You.

    First off, you need to disable the anit-virus protection in the *BIOS*

    there is typically an option there which prevents writing to the boot sector

    secondly you do *not* have to install win98 first

    the best thing to do is install XP cleanly

    if you are using an XP upgrade cd, you will only need your win98 cd for
    verification

    philo, Jan 30, 2004
  4. Jay R Griepentrog

    Patrick Guest

    Jay R Griepentrog wrote:
    > I currently have Windows 98 on my computer, and wish to update to
    > Windows XP. I was told that in order to do this, I would need to
    > install Window 98 Second Edition prior to the XP in sort of a
    > procession. When attempting to install SE, I get a message that
    > updating cannot continue, because an anti-virus program may be
    > blocking attempt, and to remove and try again. I have McAfee
    > VirusScan V.8, and even after removing, I still get that same message
    > about an anti-virus program blocking. The McAfee is the only
    > anti-virus program I have on computer. I would greatly appreciate
    > hearing from anyone, as to what my problem is and what I can attempt
    > to do to correct. Thank You.

    It may be that you have Boot-Anti-Virus program that needs to be disabled
    from within the BIOS. Alternately the AV report is probably not from the
    BIOS as I don't think that McAfee do Boot-ant-virus.

    If your XP-CD is an upgrade version then you do not need W98 to be
    installed, you only need the W98 CD to be available when installing XP.

    If your XP-CD is not an upgrade-version then you don't need W98 installed or
    W98 available at all.

    The WinXP disc will hopefully auto boot from a reset (watch for prompt to
    boot from the CD)
    If XP-CD dose not auto-boot from the CD-drive then you can either change the
    boot-order in the machines BIOS,

    or you can download facilitys to create a set of XP-boot-floppys, see at
    link below;

    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    or more direct link (one page on), (look to bottom of page for XP and select
    version)
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    Patrick, Jan 30, 2004
  5. Jay R Griepentrog

    Peter Guest

    Two thoughts.

    If you really want to upgrade, then copy the windows xp disk onto your hard
    drive (make sure that you also get the few files that are not in folders)
    and install from the hard drive.

    However, as a previous poster suggested, you are really better off doing a
    "clean" install. If you do, make sure that you copy all of your work
    sheets, pdf files and other data including email and address book (you will
    need to ask how do to this) to a zip or write cd before installing xp.

    You will then have to reload ALL of your software so make sure you have the
    disks. If you have the uninstalled program on your hard drive (because you
    downloaded it) such as photoprogram.zip, save that as well.

    Peter, Jan 30, 2004