Windows XP install problem - SATA disk

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by pixel, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. pixel

    pixel Guest

    i've installed sata OS disks with winXP before, but this is a new kind
    of sata problem.

    motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI [Sil 3114 sata raid controller], 36GB
    raptor boot disk (no other hard drives), XP pro with SP2.

    ok, the cd booted ok, installed the SATA controller (from Sil3114
    folder) after hitting F6... XP install found the disk (yay)....
    formatted the drive.... all files copied ok....remove floppy and CD for
    reboot... then:
    DISK BOOT FAILURE.

    so basically i think the problem is not with the driver or windows
    install but in the bios. as a first, second or third boot device i can't
    select "sata" or "scsi", just "hard disk". i remember from past installs
    having to set it to SCSI but that's not anywhere in the BIOS. there's no
    other SATA options in the bios except for enabling and disabling
    SATA-RAID, i've tried both and they give the same result.

    the Gigabyte website outlines this procedure to set sata boot disk:
    ---
    1. Advanced BIOS features--> SATA/RAID/SCSI boot order: "SATA"
    2. Advanced BIOS features--> First boot device: "SCSI"
    3. Integrated Peripherals--> Onboard H/W Serial ATA: "enable"
    Then it depends on the SATA mode that you need to set "RAID" to RAID
    mode or "BASE" to normal ATA mode in the item named Serial ATA function.
    ---
    none of that even remotely resembles the bios of this mobo. the word
    "sata" isn't even mentioned in advanced bios features.

    either the bios is a piece of crap (likely) or the disk itself is
    stuffed. any ideas...? :)

    pixel, Feb 9, 2005

  2. pixel

    BBUNNY Guest

    A shot:::::BIOS -- CTRL+F1 -- Advanced BIOS Features -- Hard Disk Boot
    Priority --
    Enter -- correct this lineup.
    Then: first = floppy second = cdrom third = hard disk

    BBUNNY, Feb 9, 2005

  3. pixel

    James West Guest

    to get to the advanced bios menu press CTRL+F1
    should get all the options then

    James

    James West, Feb 10, 2005
  4. pixel

    James West Guest

    BTW your clock is 2.5 hours fast

    James West, Feb 10, 2005
  5. pixel

    pixel Guest

    James West wrote:
    > to get to the advanced bios menu press CTRL+F1
    > should get all the options then

    we tried that today - it doesn't work. there are no extra options - the
    only option under hard disk boot priority is "bootable add in card".

    so we tried creating a raid set with 1 disk (jbod), and then it finally
    showed up in the bios as a scsi option. however we were never able to
    get the XP files copied after that, even though XP install could see the
    disk, it would either hang, reboot or bluescreen at some point in the copy.

    we ended up buying an IDE disk and the install went perfectly. i never
    had this much trouble on an Albatron mobo with Promise controller,
    Silicon Image sata controllers suck donkey balls.

    pixel, Feb 10, 2005
  6. pixel

    Tim Guest

    If you get a disk boot failure then either the boot sector is corrupt or the
    bios is not finding the correct bootable disc.

    So that is a h/w / bios config issue.

    If you had a boot order set to CD Rom / Floppy first and had a cd or floppy
    that was not bootable that could do it. Depends on the bios. EG if you left
    the sata controller driver floppy in the drive.

    Check the manual, check your bios version, and check for updates on the
    controller driver.

    I suggest you might want to test the drive with the SATA set to base and the
    appropriate port mapped to replace EG IDE0 and use a windows 98 boot floppy
    to fdisk / format / read / write / test the drive.

    Ideally you do not want to leave the SATA in that config as performance is
    reduced.

    It is also common for new mobos to have 2 SATA controllers and to plug the
    drive into one while thinking it is the other - documentation has also been
    known to be wrong which does not help. I suggest you disable all
    functionality in the bios (EG firewire, usb, other raid / sata controllers)
    that you are certain is not essential while sorting this out and make sure
    you do not have any USB flash disks of any sort plugged in ever during OS
    installation.

    - Tim

    Tim, Feb 11, 2005