    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Oct 30, 2004

  2. ArtKramr

    Nascar24Rulz Guest

    format the drive in your old one, and install xp using the code from your dell.
    keep in mind that some hardware in your old comp may not be compatible with xp

    Nascar24Rulz, Oct 31, 2004

  3. ArtKramr

    Thor Guest

    isn't likely to work anyway. The major brand OEM recovery discs are tied to
    a BIOS marker that verifies you aren't trying to install it on something
    other than the machine it was intended for. They won't install on a
    different brand or one old enough that it lacks the necessary BIOS ID to
    allow a recovery. It's unlikely that it will work even if his old machine is
    the same brand.

    //

    Thor, Oct 31, 2004
  4. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Windows XP in an old computer?
    >From: "Thor"
    >Date: 10/30/2004 8:08 PM Pacific Standard Time
    >
    >isn't likely to work anyway. The major brand OEM recovery discs are tied to
    >a BIOS marker that verifies you aren't trying to install it on something
    >other than the machine it was intended for. They won't install on a
    >different brand or one old enough that it lacks the necessary BIOS ID to
    >allow a recovery. It's unlikely that it will work even if his old machine is
    >the same brand.
    >

    >//
    >"Nascar24Rulz" <> wrote in message
    >> format the drive in your old one, and install xp using the code from your
    >> dell.
    >> keep in mind that some hardware in your old comp may not be compatible
    >> with xp

    That's what I was afraid of. Thank you.

    Arthur Kramer

    ArtKramr, Oct 31, 2004
  5. ArtKramr

    Kenny Guest

    Won't work, Dells are BIOS locked.

    Kenny

    Kenny, Oct 31, 2004
  6. ArtKramr

    Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:08:18 -0000, "Kenny" <> wrote:

    >Won't work, Dells are BIOS locked.
    >
    >Kenny
    >
    >"Nascar24Rulz" <> wrote in message
    >> format the drive in your old one, and install xp using the code from your

    >dell.
    >> keep in mind that some hardware in your old comp may not be compatible

    >with xp

    I am curious if anybody tried to do the upgrade install route. I was
    contemplating something similar

    , Oct 31, 2004