    JK Guest

    When an image file is double clicked, the image opens.
    Is the rotate feature incorporated in this loss less for Jpgs?

    JK, Sep 2, 2003

  2. JK

    shakewell Guest

    "JK" <> wrote:
    > When an image file is double clicked, the image opens.
    > Is the rotate feature incorporated in this loss less for Jpgs?

    Unfortunately, it doesn't use lossless rotate. Try it with a test image - a
    couple of rotations later, you'll notice the problem.

    F=_
    --
    People that worry about the past are still living there.

    shakewell, Sep 2, 2003

  3. JK

    Ken Davey Guest

    "JK" <> wrote in message
    > When an image file is double clicked, the image opens.
    > Is the rotate feature incorporated in this loss less for Jpgs?

    No!

    Ken Davey, Sep 2, 2003
  4. JK

    JK Guest

    I am still not convinced that it is not lossless. I rotated an image 100
    times, and I have not noticed any visible signs of degradation.
    If it is lossy, it appears to be extremely minimally lossy.

    JK, Sep 2, 2003
  5. JK

    David Lewis Guest

    JK wrote:
    > When an image file is double clicked, the image opens.
    > Is the rotate feature incorporated in this loss less for Jpgs?

    My understanding is that it will induce losses only if changes are saved i.e
    you"ve edited the JPEG.I don't think XP photo viewer saves the changes,does
    it?

    --
    Kind Regards,
    David

    David Lewis, Sep 2, 2003
  6. JK

    JK Guest

    It does save the changes. I know it is possible to rotate jpg images without
    a loss. When doing my rotation experiment, I noticed that the image size
    followed a patern and kept reverting to the same numbers, which is
    probably another clue that it might be lossless? If it is lossy, the loss might
    be extremely small, as I didn't notice any image degradation after 100
    rotations.

    JK, Sep 2, 2003
  7. JK

    David Lewis Guest

    JK wrote:
    > It does save the changes.

    Yes,I checked with my jpegs and it also saves the changes.What threw me was
    that it doesn't save changes for TIFF images.I have no idea why this should
    be.

    >I know it is possible to rotate jpg images
    > without
    > a loss. When doing my rotation experiment, I noticed that the image
    > size followed a patern and kept reverting to the same numbers, which
    > is
    > probably another clue that it might be lossless? If it is lossy, the
    > loss might be extremely small, as I didn't notice any image
    > degradation after 100 rotations.

    What you see is what you get :>) It is probable(?) that mere rotation
    doesn't introduce much degredation but, given jpeg is a lossy form of
    compression, perhaps would be more noticeable with larger image manipulation
    changes?

    --
    Kind Regards,
    David

    David Lewis, Sep 2, 2003
  8. JK

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "Bryce" <> wrote in news:Mv45b.21$xe6.25989
    @news.uswest.net:

    > I've just rotated one 20 times.
    >
    > I haven't noticed anything yet.
    >
    > (yes, I have a couple extra minutes on my hands right now)
    >

    > I can assure you that I don't have a "special version" of xp.

    I think it depends on the size of the JPEG, here is an error I got:

    Windows Picture and Fax Viewer:

    Because of the dimension of this picture, rotating it might permanently
    reduce its quality. Rotating a picture automatically saves it using the
    original name. blah blah blah...

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Sep 2, 2003
  9. JK

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "Bryce" <> wrote in news:9I75b.39$xe6.39479
    @news.uswest.net:

    > So, it might be dimension dependent?

    Yeah, I believe the image dimensions must be divisibe by 16 (or some
    factor) if you wish to rotate the picture.

    I tried rotating a 1600x1600 picture and had no warnings : )

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Sep 2, 2003
  10. JK

    JK Guest

    I was wondering if this might be the case, although my sample image
    varied in size through the rotations by up to 1%, and even more interestingly
    the size followed a pattern when the same 6 numbers for file size kept
    appearing through the 100 rotations. I don't understand why there would
    be 6 different numbers for file size and not just 4.

    JK, Sep 3, 2003
  11. JK

    Lars Guest

    "JK" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    > When an image file is double clicked, the image opens.
    > Is the rotate feature incorporated in this loss less for Jpgs?

    It is lossless.

    Lars

    Lars, Sep 3, 2003
  12. "Lars" <> wrote:

    >"JK" <> skrev i en meddelelse

    >> When an image file is double clicked, the image opens.
    >> Is the rotate feature incorporated in this loss less for Jpgs?

    >It is lossless.

    Lars,

    how do you know?

    Hans-Georg