    Other than additional features are both versions of xp the same, is the home
    edition just as stable as the pro version?
    I am currently running win98se so don't have a clue.

    graviton, Nov 15, 2005

  2. "graviton" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Other than additional features are both versions of xp the same, is the
    > home
    > edition just as stable as the pro version?
    > I am currently running win98se so don't have a clue.

    I run both, and both seem as good as the other.

    But, pro is better if you want to network pc's together. Although, you can
    still cobble it together with xp home.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 15, 2005

  3. graviton

    Bruce Flyger Guest

    graviton wrote:
    > Other than additional features are both versions of xp the same, is the home
    > edition just as stable as the pro version?
    > I am currently running win98se so don't have a clue.

    It is an Urban Myth that Pro runs faster and is more stable than Home.

    They both run on the exact same Kernel, and if anything Home is probably
    slightly quicker as it has less services running.

    Unless you are in a business environment and need to log into a Domain
    controller, then **Home will serve you well

    **Though there undocumented ways to enable Home to log into Domains.

    Last but not least, do you prefer a green task bar or a blue one?

    Bruce Flyger, Nov 15, 2005
  4. graviton

    graviton Guest

    "Bruce Flyger" <> wrote in message
    > graviton wrote:
    > > Other than additional features are both versions of xp the same, is the

    home
    > > edition just as stable as the pro version?
    > > I am currently running win98se so don't have a clue.
    > >

    > It is an Urban Myth that Pro runs faster and is more stable than Home.
    >
    > They both run on the exact same Kernel, and if anything Home is probably
    > slightly quicker as it has less services running.
    >
    > Unless you are in a business environment and need to log into a Domain
    > controller, then **Home will serve you well
    >
    > **Though there undocumented ways to enable Home to log into Domains.
    >
    > Last but not least, do you prefer a green task bar or a blue one?

    Great, thanks, that's what I suspected.

    graviton, Nov 15, 2005
  5. graviton

    steve Guest

    graviton wrote:

    > Other than additional features are both versions of xp the same, is the
    > home edition just as stable as the pro version?
    > I am currently running win98se so don't have a clue.

    Look at the cost.

    Pro is much more expensive.

    I'm assuming you plan to pay for it.

    steve, Nov 15, 2005
  6. graviton

    shannon Guest

    steve wrote:
    > graviton wrote:
    >

    >>Other than additional features are both versions of xp the same, is the
    >>home edition just as stable as the pro version?
    >>I am currently running win98se so don't have a clue.

    > Look at the cost.
    >
    > Pro is much more expensive.
    >
    > I'm assuming you plan to pay for it.

    $264 vs $169

    I like being able to connect to an RDP terminal server session via VPN
    but thats really the only standalone advantage.
    The rest of Pro is about being a managed desktop client.

    shannon, Nov 15, 2005
  7. graviton

    Jerry Guest

    Bruce Flyger wrote:
    > graviton wrote:
    >
    >> Other than additional features are both versions of xp the same, is
    >> the home
    >> edition just as stable as the pro version?
    >> I am currently running win98se so don't have a clue.
    >>

    > It is an Urban Myth that Pro runs faster and is more stable than Home.
    >
    > They both run on the exact same Kernel, and if anything Home is probably
    > slightly quicker as it has less services running.
    >
    > Unless you are in a business environment and need to log into a Domain
    > controller, then **Home will serve you well
    >
    > **Though there undocumented ways to enable Home to log into Domains.
    >
    > Last but not least, do you prefer a green task bar or a blue one?

    XP Home with SP2 gives you a blue one

    Jerry, Nov 15, 2005
  8. graviton

    Allistar Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> graviton wrote:
    >>

    >>>Other than additional features are both versions of xp the same, is the
    >>>home edition just as stable as the pro version?
    >>>I am currently running win98se so don't have a clue.

    >> Look at the cost.
    >>
    >> Pro is much more expensive.
    >>
    >> I'm assuming you plan to pay for it.
    >>

    > $264 vs $169

    For a standard (non OEM) copy? I don't think so.

    More like $699 vs $480 (www.pp.co.nz - Ascent don't even sell a non OEM XP
    home).

    > I like being able to connect to an RDP terminal server session via VPN
    > but thats really the only standalone advantage.
    > The rest of Pro is about being a managed desktop client.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Nov 15, 2005
  9. graviton

    shannon Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >

    >>steve wrote:

    >>>Look at the cost.
    >>>
    >>>Pro is much more expensive.
    >>>
    >>>I'm assuming you plan to pay for it.
    >>>

    >>$264 vs $169

    > For a standard (non OEM) copy? I don't think so.
    >
    > More like $699 vs $480 (www.pp.co.nz - Ascent don't even sell a non OEM XP
    > home).

    So what, its the same percentage difference
    Ask the shop how to qualify for the OEM deal.
    Buy some PC part with it.
    Brett Roberts has posted here before about what qualifies.

    shannon, Nov 15, 2005
  10. graviton

    Allistar Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> shannon wrote:

    >>>$264 vs $169

    >> For a standard (non OEM) copy? I don't think so.
    >>
    >> More like $699 vs $480 (www.pp.co.nz - Ascent don't even sell a non OEM
    >> XP home).

    > So what, its the same percentage difference
    > Ask the shop how to qualify for the OEM deal.
    > Buy some PC part with it.
    > Brett Roberts has posted here before about what qualifies.

    It depends on the store. I've bought a tick of the cheapest RAM before to
    qualify for an OEM copy of XP Pro (which I installed in VMWare as I only
    needed it for one contract and didn't own a windows license.

    I think that using the OEM price as if that's the actual retail price of
    software is dishonest.

    Office 2003 Pro is over $1,000 for example. What a rip off considering I can
    legally get something that does the job (for me) for free.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Nov 15, 2005
  11. graviton

    shannon Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >

    >>Allistar wrote:

    >>>For a standard (non OEM) copy? I don't think so.
    >>>
    >>>More like $699 vs $480 (www.pp.co.nz - Ascent don't even sell a non OEM
    >>>XP home).

    >>So what, its the same percentage difference
    >>Ask the shop how to qualify for the OEM deal.
    >>Buy some PC part with it.
    >>Brett Roberts has posted here before about what qualifies.

    > It depends on the store. I've bought a tick of the cheapest RAM before to
    > qualify for an OEM copy of XP Pro (which I installed in VMWare as I only
    > needed it for one contract and didn't own a windows license.
    >
    > I think that using the OEM price as if that's the actual retail price of
    > software is dishonest.

    I think using the price I paid is realistic and is the deal offered to
    everyone by the vendor.
    You think the price you paid is dishonest and try to justify it because
    you used it for your business in some way.
    You bought the license for the OEM price, end of story.
    Do you think you are a dishonest person ?

    > Office 2003 Pro is over $1,000 for example. What a rip off considering I can
    > legally get something that does the job (for me) for free.
    >
    > Allistar.

    What has that got to do with Windows XP home vs pro ?
    Anyone can use OpenOffice on either one.

    shannon, Nov 15, 2005
  12. graviton

    Allistar Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > Allistar wrote:
    >> shannon wrote:

    >>>So what, its the same percentage difference
    >>>Ask the shop how to qualify for the OEM deal.
    >>>Buy some PC part with it.
    >>>Brett Roberts has posted here before about what qualifies.

    >> It depends on the store. I've bought a tick of the cheapest RAM before to
    >> qualify for an OEM copy of XP Pro (which I installed in VMWare as I only
    >> needed it for one contract and didn't own a windows license.
    >>
    >> I think that using the OEM price as if that's the actual retail price of
    >> software is dishonest.

    > I think using the price I paid is realistic and is the deal offered to
    > everyone by the vendor.
    > You think the price you paid is dishonest and try to justify it because
    > you used it for your business in some way.

    I don't think the price I paid is dishonest - I followed the rules and paid
    the lowest price I could.

    > You bought the license for the OEM price, end of story.
    > Do you think you are a dishonest person ?

    Not at all. But then I'm not quoting the OEM price when someone asks me how
    much Windows XP costs.

    It's interesting that tjere is such a large difference between retail and
    OEM pricing considering how easy it is to get around. I've heard of people
    buying power cords to qualify for OEM pricing - it's farcical. Then again I
    don't think the product is supported directly by the developer with OEM
    copies. I may be wrong though.

    >> Office 2003 Pro is over $1,000 for example. What a rip off considering I
    >> can legally get something that does the job (for me) for free.
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > What has that got to do with Windows XP home vs pro ?
    > Anyone can use OpenOffice on either one.

    Merely a comment on the exhorbatent retail prices on some software.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Nov 15, 2005
  13. graviton

    shannon Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    > I don't think the price I paid is dishonest - I followed the rules and paid
    > the lowest price I could.
    >

    >>You bought the license for the OEM price, end of story.
    >>Do you think you are a dishonest person ?

    > Not at all. But then I'm not quoting the OEM price when someone asks me how
    > much Windows XP costs.

    Ah, you are calling ME dishonest.

    Got that.

    So thats how much the OEM copy that you bought costs.
    Is it, or is it not Windows XP ?
    Is the EULA the same ?

    The difference is the support agreement.

    shannon, Nov 15, 2005
  14. graviton

    Steven H Guest

    Hello graviton,

    personally i prefer XP Pro here is why :

    to the best of my knowledge home doesnt have 'Remote Desktop Connection'
    i use this software religiously
    i dislike the experience of using home because all the wizards get in the
    way of letting me do stuff faster (ie User Management)
    for my job i do software development - my chosen development tools require
    windows professional
    File Sharing, now this plain sucks - you cant controll (via ACL) exactly
    who can do what
    ACL - this sucks even worse, you cant controll who can do what - only if
    you boot into Safe Mode can you alter ACL propertys

    the file sharing & acl issues were enough to kill using XP Home for me

    and of course something completely subjective - i just dont enjoy the experience
    of using xp home

    ----------------
    the madGeek

    Steven H, Nov 15, 2005
  15. graviton

    steve Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> graviton wrote:
    >>

    >>>Other than additional features are both versions of xp the same, is the
    >>>home edition just as stable as the pro version?
    >>>I am currently running win98se so don't have a clue.

    >> Look at the cost.
    >>
    >> Pro is much more expensive.
    >>
    >> I'm assuming you plan to pay for it.
    >>

    > $264 vs $169

    That has to be academic upgrade comparisons.

    It isn't full retail price for full versions.

    steve, Nov 16, 2005
  16. graviton

    steve Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > So what, its the same percentage difference
    > Ask the shop how to qualify for the OEM deal.
    > Buy some PC part with it.
    > Brett Roberts has posted here before about what qualifies.

    So you have scam it for anything resembling a reasonable price?

    $699 vs $480 is a big real-dollar difference - as I said in my post.

    You can install many free linuxes and even if you want to buy a commercial
    distro like Xandros Linux 3.0 (for about NZ$125), you can install the one
    copy (legally) on every PC in the house.....whereas the above Windows
    pricing is for EACH computer.

    Linux aside, for the normal person a FULL version of either Windows (XP or
    Pro) isn't small change.

    steve, Nov 16, 2005
  17. graviton

    shannon Guest

    steve wrote:
    > shannon wrote:
    >

    >>So what, its the same percentage difference
    >>Ask the shop how to qualify for the OEM deal.
    >>Buy some PC part with it.
    >>Brett Roberts has posted here before about what qualifies.

    > So you have scam it for anything resembling a reasonable price?
    >
    > $699 vs $480 is a big real-dollar difference - as I said in my post.
    >
    > You can install many free linuxes and even if you want to buy a commercial
    > distro like Xandros Linux 3.0 (for about NZ$125), you can install the one
    > copy (legally) on every PC in the house.....whereas the above Windows
    > pricing is for EACH computer.
    >
    > Linux aside, for the normal person a FULL version of either Windows (XP or
    > Pro) isn't small change.

    Its not a scam, its the price you can buy it for.
    Why would you buy the retail pack ?
    Even the last one of you linux zealots that replied in the thread bought
    the OEM version.
    Have you ever bought the retail pack ?

    It has nothing to do with linux.
    But I don't know why I would bother with Xandros when I can install
    exactly as little or as much off a local Debian archive without
    bothering with disk image downloads.

    shannon, Nov 16, 2005
  18. graviton

    shannon Guest

    steve wrote:

    > That has to be academic upgrade comparisons.
    >
    > It isn't full retail price for full versions.

    Its paradigm pcs OEM pack price
    If you are upgrading from 9x you will need extra RAM
    The MCE edition is $194

    OEM versions have a different support level agreement to retail packs
    You will have to explain to me in what other way the function of the OEM
    version is limited.
    It is after all the version supplied with all new PCs

    shannon, Nov 16, 2005
  19. graviton

    steve Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> shannon wrote:
    >>

    >>>So what, its the same percentage difference
    >>>Ask the shop how to qualify for the OEM deal.
    >>>Buy some PC part with it.
    >>>Brett Roberts has posted here before about what qualifies.

    >> So you have scam it for anything resembling a reasonable price?
    >>
    >> $699 vs $480 is a big real-dollar difference - as I said in my post.
    >>
    >> You can install many free linuxes and even if you want to buy a
    >> commercial distro like Xandros Linux 3.0 (for about NZ$125), you can
    >> install the one copy (legally) on every PC in the house.....whereas the
    >> above Windows pricing is for EACH computer.
    >>
    >> Linux aside, for the normal person a FULL version of either Windows (XP
    >> or Pro) isn't small change.
    >>

    > Its not a scam, its the price you can buy it for.
    > Why would you buy the retail pack ?
    > Even the last one of you linux zealots that replied in the thread bought
    > the OEM version.
    > Have you ever bought the retail pack ?

    Yes. Windows XP Home upgrade for about $300.

    > It has nothing to do with linux.

    For the sake of comparison it's very relevant.

    > But I don't know why I would bother with Xandros when I can install
    > exactly as little or as much off a local Debian archive without
    > bothering with disk image downloads.

    Sure. You have the CHOICE.

    :)

    steve, Nov 16, 2005
  20. graviton

    steve Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >

    >> That has to be academic upgrade comparisons.
    >>
    >> It isn't full retail price for full versions.
    >>

    > Its paradigm pcs OEM pack price
    > If you are upgrading from 9x you will need extra RAM
    > The MCE edition is $194
    >
    > OEM versions have a different support level agreement to retail packs
    > You will have to explain to me in what other way the function of the OEM
    > version is limited.
    > It is after all the version supplied with all new PCs

    So effectively no support.

    But you have to pay hundreds of dollars for each machine.

    steve, Nov 16, 2005