    which will used in the home, not networked. I appreciate any info.
    Thanks.
    , Jan 22, 2004

  2. Harrison Guest

    Home - As the name implies, is for home and small office use. It
    includes simple file and print sharing as well as Internet connection
    sharing.

    Pro - As the name implies, is for larger enterprises with the presence
    of domain controllers, Active Directory, etc.

    The Home version should meet your needs nicely.

    Harrison, Jan 22, 2004

  3. Martik Guest

    http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,3048,a=32002,00.asp
    Martik, Jan 22, 2004
  4. Guest

    Interesting article in that link. Thanks. Home does not support
    hyperthreading. So if I'll be installing a P4 3Ghz processor that
    hyperthreads, Home won't work well? Also, the issues with connection to
    a network, is cable modem considered a network? I don't want to lose
    cable connection capability too. Thanks again.

    >On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:52:23 -0500, rfdjr1 wrote:
    >
    >> Can someone enlighten me as to the basic differences between Windows XP
    >> Home and Professional versions? I'll be installing it on new computer,
    >> which will used in the home, not networked. I appreciate any info.
    >> Thanks.

    >http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,3048,a=32002,00.asp
    , Jan 22, 2004
  5. It will work with your cable modem; it can't log on to a domain, but you
    won't be doing that if you are a home user with perhaps a little
    peer-to-peer network or a standalone system.

    Also the recoverability in Home is more limited and convoluted in some
    respects. And inability to easily control security between logins is a
    real PITN. And Home comes configured to some pretty vulnerable defaults.

    If you can afford it, go with Pro.

    Tergiversative, Jan 22, 2004
  6. Kenos Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Can someone enlighten me as to the basic differences between Windows XP
    > Home and Professional versions? I'll be installing it on new computer,
    > which will used in the home, not networked. I appreciate any info.
    > Thanks.

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    HTH.

    Kenos