    didn't seem to cure the problem.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    AmenRa
    Knowledge, Sep 13, 2007

  2. Knowledge

    chuckcar Guest

    Knowledge <> wrote in
    news::

    > Hello chaps,
    >
    > I have a Compaq Presario 1.8Gb with Windows XP Home and 256MB of ram.
    >
    > It boots up to the "welcome" screen and sometimes all the way to the
    > desktop, but before I can do anything, ususally within a minute, the
    > screen goes black and it reboots again.
    >
    > I brought it up in safe mode, and ran spybot, and Adaware, but they
    > didn't seem to cure the problem.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > AmenRa

    Go into safe mode again, run msconfig with start->run and disable
    startup, reboot to normal. If that stops it, you can selectively turn
    the startup enties on to find out which it is. If not try autoexec.bat
    the same way.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 14, 2007

  3. Knowledge

    Guest

    Knowledge <> wrote:

    >Hello chaps,
    >
    >I have a Compaq Presario 1.8Gb with Windows XP Home and 256MB of ram.
    >
    >It boots up to the "welcome" screen and sometimes all the way to the
    >desktop, but before I can do anything, ususally within a minute, the
    >screen goes black and it reboots again.
    >
    >I brought it up in safe mode, and ran spybot, and Adaware, but they
    >didn't seem to cure the problem.
    >
    >Anyone have any ideas?

    Press F8 and select not to auto reboot of error -
    Then disable that option http://tinyurl.com/zxclc
    --
    Shuttle Pix
    http://www.texasjim.com/NASApix/NASA pix.htm
  4. chuckcar wrote:

    > If not try autoexec.bat the same way.

    'Splain, please?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 14, 2007
  5. Knowledge

    DogBrain Guest

    Bad drivers to vga?

    DogBrain, Sep 14, 2007
  6. Knowledge

    Guest

    "DogBrain" <> wrote:

    >Bad drivers to vga?

    The link was just the first google hit, the only thing that matters
    is:

    Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System
    Go to Advanced
    Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
    Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"

    as it's just too much to type out.

    > wrote:
    >> Knowledge <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello chaps,
    >>>
    >>> I have a Compaq Presario 1.8Gb with Windows XP Home and 256MB of ram.
    >>>
    >>> It boots up to the "welcome" screen and sometimes all the way to the
    >>> desktop, but before I can do anything, ususally within a minute, the
    >>> screen goes black and it reboots again.
    >>>
    >>> I brought it up in safe mode, and ran spybot, and Adaware, but they
    >>> didn't seem to cure the problem.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have any ideas?

    >> Press F8 and select not to auto reboot of error -
    >> Then disable that option http://tinyurl.com/zxclc

    --

    Indian government tries to prove it's religion bogus. withdraws...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6994415.stm
  7. Knowledge

    chuckcar Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> If not try autoexec.bat the same way.

    > 'Splain, please?

    Exactly what I said about startup. Disable it and if the problem goes
    away, start enabling one line at a time.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 14, 2007
  8. chuckcar wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> chuckcar wrote:
    >>> If not try autoexec.bat the same way.

    >> 'Splain, please?

    > Exactly what I said about startup. Disable it and if the problem goes
    > away, start enabling one line at a time.

    One line of what? autoexec.bat? When did XP get a autoexec.bat?

    My Windows box here, using Win2K, does not have an autoexec.bat file.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 14, 2007
  9. Knowledge

    > chuckcar wrote:

    >>> 'Splain, please?

    >> Exactly what I said about startup. Disable it and if the problem goes
    >> away, start enabling one line at a time.

    > One line of what? autoexec.bat? When did XP get a autoexec.bat?
    >
    > My Windows box here, using Win2K, does not have an autoexec.bat file.

    It's not required, but it's existance is entirely possible. It isn't
    required in any version of MSDOS either. Or any previous version of
    windows with the exception of the path statement in some.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 14, 2007
  10. chuckcar wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> chuckcar wrote:

    >>> Exactly what I said about startup. Disable it and if the problem
    >>> goes away, start enabling one line at a time.

    >> One line of what? autoexec.bat? When did XP get a autoexec.bat?
    >>
    >> My Windows box here, using Win2K, does not have an autoexec.bat
    >> file.

    > It's not required, but it's existance is entirely possible. It isn't
    > required in any version of MSDOS either. Or any previous version of
    > windows with the exception of the path statement in some.

    <http://www1458.computing.net/programming/wwwboard/forum/11646.html>

    "So stated be aware under Windows XP Autoexec.bat, while in the root
    directory, is a dummy file and the commands it holds are disregarded
    except for the setting of environmental variables (Set commands).

    Instead Autoexec.NT is used to set up the emulated DOS environment for a
    DOS window, and you can have multiple Autoexec.xx files, being
    Autoexec.NT the system default.

    Autoexec.NT to Windows XP 32 bit environment is abosolutely irrilevant."

    ...and: http://www.newdaynews.com/fixit/index.cgi/noframes/read/259

    So it would be unlikely that any autoexec.bat file would be causing the
    OP's startup problem.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 14, 2007
  11. Knowledge

    > chuckcar wrote:

    > So it would be unlikely that any autoexec.bat file would be causing
    > the OP's startup problem.

    I never said it was the *most* likely, just possible, which is fact.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 14, 2007
  12. chuckcar wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:

    <snip all these attributes>
    >> So it would be unlikely that any autoexec.bat file would be causing
    >> the OP's startup problem.
    >>

    > I never said it was the *most* likely,

    Yes, that is true. In fact, it is the least likely. :)

    > just possible, which is fact.

    Since the references stated that XP (2000, NT, Vista) would not do any
    commands in any autoexec.bat that might exist, other than a possible
    rare environment variable (which couldn't be the OP's trouble), why
    bother to check it at all?

    "Help! My milk is sour!"

    1. Check expiration date on milk carton.
    2. Check refrigerator power.
    3. Check chocolate syrup dispenser on third shelf.

    Which one wouldn't you recommend?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 14, 2007
  13. Knowledge

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:

    > <snip all these attributes>
    >>> So it would be unlikely that any autoexec.bat file would be causing
    >>> the OP's startup problem.
    >>>

    >> I never said it was the *most* likely,

    > Yes, that is true. In fact, it is the least likely. :)
    >
    >> just possible, which is fact.

    > Since the references stated that XP (2000, NT, Vista) would not do any
    > commands in any autoexec.bat that might exist, other than a possible
    > rare environment variable (which couldn't be the OP's trouble), why
    > bother to check it at all?

    Oh, so you've *never* seen a posting where mscdex.exe was loaded in
    autoexec.bat and caused a cdrom drive not to be recognized? There was a
    posting of just that this week. Don't spout off incorrect information
    and then accuse me of being wrong.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 15, 2007
  14. chuckcar wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Since the references stated that XP (2000, NT, Vista) would not do
    >> any commands in any autoexec.bat that might exist, other than a
    >> possible rare environment variable (which couldn't be the OP's
    >> trouble), why bother to check it at all?

    > Oh, so you've *never* seen a posting

    Can't say as I have. Which group?

    > where mscdex.exe was loaded in autoexec.bat and caused a cdrom drive
    > not to be recognized? There was a posting of just that this week.

    Alright, I checked the archive and I find a post from Sep 11 that fits
    those file names, in a microsoft group (I don't read those), but it was
    about a person having a problem with Windows 95. Yep, you can screw up
    Windows 95 that way.

    > Don't spout off incorrect information and then accuse me of being
    > wrong.

    I didn't accuse you of anything. I was pointing out that looking for an
    autoexec.bat file in Windows XP with a boot loop problem was approaching
    pointless.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 15, 2007
  15. Knowledge

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>> Since the references stated that XP (2000, NT, Vista) would not do
    >>> any commands in any autoexec.bat that might exist, other than a
    >>> possible rare environment variable (which couldn't be the OP's
    >>> trouble), why bother to check it at all?

    >> Oh, so you've *never* seen a posting

    > Can't say as I have. Which group?
    >
    >> where mscdex.exe was loaded in autoexec.bat and caused a cdrom drive
    >> not to be recognized? There was a posting of just that this week.

    > Alright, I checked the archive and I find a post from Sep 11 that fits
    > those file names, in a microsoft group (I don't read those), but it
    > was about a person having a problem with Windows 95. Yep, you can
    > screw up Windows 95 that way.
    >
    >> Don't spout off incorrect information and then accuse me of being
    >> wrong.

    > I didn't accuse you of anything. I was pointing out that looking for
    > an autoexec.bat file in Windows XP with a boot loop problem was
    > approaching pointless.

    Look, I did it for completeness, nothing more. If it bugs you this much,
    don't do it when it becomes *your* problem. As far as your perseverence
    it only seems to be exceeded by your lack of posts actually helping
    people. Strange that.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 16, 2007
  16. chuckcar wrote:
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in
    >
    >> chuckcar wrote:

    >>> Oh, so you've *never* seen a posting

    >> Can't say as I have. Which group?
    >>
    >>> where mscdex.exe was loaded in autoexec.bat and caused a cdrom drive
    >>> not to be recognized? There was a posting of just that this week.

    >> Alright, I checked the archive and I find a post from Sep 11 that fits
    >> those file names, in a microsoft group (I don't read those), but it
    >> was about a person having a problem with Windows 95. Yep, you can
    >> screw up Windows 95 that way.
    >>
    >>> Don't spout off incorrect information and then accuse me of being
    >>> wrong.

    >> I didn't accuse you of anything. I was pointing out that looking for
    >> an autoexec.bat file in Windows XP with a boot loop problem was
    >> approaching pointless.

    > Look, I did it for completeness, nothing more. If it bugs you this much,
    > don't do it when it becomes *your* problem. As far as your perseverence
    > it only seems to be exceeded by your lack of posts actually helping
    > people. Strange that.

    He's plenty helpful both here and in the other groups we share. It
    appears that you don't know help when you see it and that your skin's
    too thin for Usenet. I don't know which is more destructive to your
    ability to get help here.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 16, 2007
  17. chuckcar wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> I didn't accuse you of anything. I was pointing out that looking for
    >> an autoexec.bat file in Windows XP with a boot loop problem was
    >> approaching pointless.

    > Look, I did it for completeness, nothing more. If it bugs you this
    > much, don't do it when it becomes *your* problem.

    Chuck, it doesn't 'bug' me at all; in fact, your persistence is amusing.
    As far as it becoming my problem, that is quite unlikely. I've been
    using Windows since version 2.0 and Windows 286 (I had 1.0 but never
    installed it), and honestly have never had any kind of boot problems
    that were software related. Really. I've a Windows 2000 box sitting here
    with the initial installation of W2K in 1999, still humming along
    perfectly. With no autoexec.bat file.

    My other PCs do not use Windows.

    > As far as your perseverence it only seems to be exceeded by your lack
    > of posts actually helping people. Strange that.

    What Blinky says...

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 16, 2007