Windows XP Home: File Icons

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul Mack Cartney, Sep 8, 2004.

  1. OK, this may sound a little weird:

    http://tzone.the-croc.com/sounds/tzone2.wav

    We've combed over all kinds of settings, and all kinds of help files, and
    run numerous searches and probably overlooked the obvious - so, here's
    hoping someone in the newsgroup maybe knows what is happening over here.
    Or has a link to a really good Exorcist.

    The system is Windows XP Home recently updated with the SP2 file obtained
    from the Microsoft website, the 266 MB network installer.

    Everything has worked just fine. But one BIG difference that has
    happened, and no-one can figure it out, is with these icons.

    You know how the ISO files and the QuickSFV files have the nice round big
    icons? Not the tiles; but the "View" setting is for "Icons." The ISO's
    used to look like little CD's and the SFV's used to look like little
    life-savers. There are others, but these are the very good examples.

    Now, the icons are all like little rectangles, with the upper right-hand
    corner bent over, and they have the same shape icon much smaller in the
    center of the "page" styled icon. Ewww! That's really sooooooo Mandrake!

    We'd like to get the old style Windows icons back, if possible, mostly
    because they were much easier to find in a crowd of icons. You know,
    easier to see very quickly.

    Is there some setting which is hidden or some trick someone might
    remember which could solve this major earth-shattering, life-threatening,
    mood-altering, time-warping, mind-bending, head-scratching, catastrophic
    event for all concerned?

    LOL!

    (It seemed important when I started the inquiry.)

    In a way it really is, but we'll understand if ya'll have to cure cancer,
    upright the economy, solve the ozone leaks, or save some baby seals
    first!

    Many thanks!
    Paul Mack Cartney, Sep 8, 2004

  2. Paul Mack Cartney

    °Mike° Guest

    Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / File Types.
    Select the file type, select 'Advanced' and 'Change
    Icon'.

    On 08 Sep 2004 15:07:39 GMT, in
    <413f203a$0$31550$>
    Paul Mack Cartney scrawled: