    upgrade for sale. The seller indicates after installing software,
    buyer may need to activate over phone with Microsoft.

    My question is will Microsoft activate this if I buy it?

    Broderick Johnson, Dec 10, 2003

  2. I would check with Microsoft before bidding on it.

    Paul J. Veres, Dec 10, 2003

  3. Broderick Johnson

    Conor Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I see on E-Bay where there is a copy of Windows XP home edition
    > upgrade for sale. The seller indicates after installing software,
    > buyer may need to activate over phone with Microsoft.
    >
    > My question is will Microsoft activate this if I buy it?

    In the E.U they will.

    --
    Conor

    A high I.Q is like a Jeep. You still get stuck, just further from help.

    Conor, Dec 10, 2003
  4. Broderick Johnson

    Jeff Smith Guest

    > I see on E-Bay where there is a copy of Windows XP home edition
    > upgrade for sale. The seller indicates after installing software,
    > buyer may need to activate over phone with Microsoft.
    >
    > My question is will Microsoft activate this if I buy it?

    as long as that copy has not been in use before, and there's no 'may need'
    with XP home edition, you have to activate windows to use it after 14 days
    of install. Is it a sealed copy ? or some CD-R some guy is trying to sell ?
    usually Microsoft will pull the auction if it doesn't have a the right
    licenses shown.

    Jeff

    Jeff Smith, Dec 10, 2003
  5. Broderick Johnson

    M Mullen Guest

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 15:35:22 GMT, Broderick Johnson <>
    wrote:

    |> I see on E-Bay where there is a copy of Windows XP home edition
    |> upgrade for sale. The seller indicates after installing software,
    |> buyer may need to activate over phone with Microsoft.
    |>
    |> My question is will Microsoft activate this if I buy it?

    Not sure if this will help, it's a paper on the XP activation and how it
    produces the key.
    http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-faq.txt

    the part of interest to you would be:
    ------
    The first step in activating Windows XP via telephone is supplying the
    call-center agent with the Installation ID displayed by msoobe.exe,
    the application that guides a user through the activation process. The
    Installation ID is a number consisting of 50 decimal digits that are
    divided into groups of six digits each, as in

    002666-077894-484890-114573-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XX
    ------
    This is a number generated by your hardware.
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w

    M Mullen, Dec 11, 2003
  6. On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:36:23 -0600, "Jeff Smith" <>
    wrote:

    >"Broderick Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >> I see on E-Bay where there is a copy of Windows XP home edition
    >> upgrade for sale. The seller indicates after installing software,
    >> buyer may need to activate over phone with Microsoft.
    >>
    >> My question is will Microsoft activate this if I buy it?

    >as long as that copy has not been in use before, and there's no 'may need'
    >with XP home edition, you have to activate windows to use it after 14 days
    >of install. Is it a sealed copy ? or some CD-R some guy is trying to sell ?
    >usually Microsoft will pull the auction if it doesn't have a the right
    >licenses shown.
    >
    >Jeff

    The seller claims he had installed it, but has since taken it off his
    machine and installed 2000. He claims it is a licensed copy of XP

    Broderick Johnson, Dec 11, 2003
  7. Broderick Johnson

    Tom Miller Guest

    I believe so, if you have the activation code as well as answer their
    questions. You can also activate it over the internet.
    Tom

    > I see on E-Bay where there is a copy of Windows XP home edition
    > upgrade for sale. The seller indicates after installing software,
    > buyer may need to activate over phone with Microsoft.
    >
    > My question is will Microsoft activate this if I buy it?

    --
    If I knew what I was doing, would I be posting here?

    Tom Miller, Dec 13, 2003