Windows XP Home Edition problem.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Knut Arvid Keilen, Sep 21, 2006.

  1. Hi !

    I am running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 (Norwegian edition) with current
    upgrades on my PC.

    This is what I started with, next after Windows 3.1, Windows 95 and Windows
    98.

    Now, my system has become quite crowded. I am in the process of upgrading
    since I experience quite a number of problems.

    Among several such problems one in particular I think is especially bad.

    When running several programs at once, either minimized or hidden away from
    the currently running program
    (like running Notepad maximized in the foreground and Paint also maximized
    but not in the front) and also having a lot of
    running processes in icons at the lower right on the Start-menu line, when I
    pick up another program that is minimized or not
    in the front on the Start-menu line, the program that I click on with my
    mouse quite often just only "bounces off" .

    This is a quite bad problem I think and I was wondering whether anyone else
    has noticed this problem.

    Could anyone try and rectify this problem, please. It is a major annoyance !

    Thanks in advance !

    Knut Arvid Keilen, Sep 21, 2006

  2. Knut Arvid Keilen

    sittingduck Guest

    Knut Arvid Keilen wrote:

    > Now, my system has become quite crowded. I am in the process of upgrading
    > since I experience quite a number of problems.

    You could optimize your XP system. First thing to do is go to system
    properties | Advanced | Performance and click on settings. Set it to "Adjust
    for best performance". You lose the pretty "Fischer Price" interface, but
    that's a plus, IMO.
    Go to control panel | administrative tools | computer management | services
    and arrange them by startup type. Turn off as many of the "Automatic"
    services as you can. Go to properties on the services and select Disabled
    (or at least "Manual").
    Turn off remote registry, system restore (assuming you keep your own
    backups), security center, Remote desktop, and others. There are lots of
    sites you can get info on exactly what the services are, for example:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services
    If you can get your running processes down to the low 20s, you will probably
    notice a nice improvement.

    sittingduck, Sep 22, 2006

  3. "sittingduck" <> skrev i melding
    > Knut Arvid Keilen wrote:
    >
    >> Now, my system has become quite crowded. I am in the process of upgrading
    >> since I experience quite a number of problems.
    >>

    > You could optimize your XP system. First thing to do is go to system
    > properties | Advanced | Performance and click on settings. Set it to
    > "Adjust
    > for best performance". You lose the pretty "Fischer Price" interface, but
    > that's a plus, IMO.
    > Go to control panel | administrative tools | computer management |
    > services
    > and arrange them by startup type. Turn off as many of the "Automatic"
    > services as you can. Go to properties on the services and select Disabled
    > (or at least "Manual").
    > Turn off remote registry, system restore (assuming you keep your own
    > backups), security center, Remote desktop, and others. There are lots of
    > sites you can get info on exactly what the services are, for example:
    > http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm#Services
    > If you can get your running processes down to the low 20s, you will
    > probably
    > notice a nice improvement.

    Why do you necessary have to strip the system down to get things running ?
    Errors themselves does not eventually go away or disappear.

    Here is another problem.

    When running Microsoft Outlook 2002 (in the Microsoft Office 2002 bundle),
    there are listed a number of pre-defined columns
    with its respective title names above the headers of the messages, which
    themselves are either hidden or may be partly shown in a preview.

    In addition to some 4 iconized "Sort by fields" at the left (Sort by
    Importance, Icon, Status for flag and File Enclosures) you may in the
    Inbox see "From", Subject", "Received" and "Size". Also in the Sent To box
    the "To" field. The width of these fields may be adjusted to fit one's
    needs.

    Just below these Columns (in the Inbox) and above the first (most recent)
    message, there is a quite thick black line stretching from at least
    the "From" column and far into the "Subject" column. It is quite irritating
    to watch and is almost the only one thing to spoil my favourite software
    program.

    I will be very happy if this problem could be fixed as well.

    Thanks in advance !

    Knut Arvid Keilen, Sep 22, 2006
  4. Knut Arvid Keilen

    sittingduck Guest

    Knut Arvid Keilen wrote:

    > Why do you necessary have to strip the system down to get things running ?
    > Errors themselves does not eventually go away or disappear.

    Well, since you mentioned upgrading, I assumed you had an old, relatively
    slow computer. XP+SP2 if left unchecked can hog a lot of resources. Open your
    task manager and check how much memory is being used, and how many processes
    are running. Even fast systems can benefit from some tweaking.
    Of course for some people the OS is pretty much all they play with, so if it
    uses up all their resources, so be it. Personally, the OS is secondary. It is
    only there as a means to run programs.
    I suggest you try google or some other search engine for your outlook and
    other problems, you will get answers a lot faster that way.

    sittingduck, Sep 22, 2006
  5. Knut Arvid Keilen

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 00:49:43 +0200, "Knut Arvid Keilen"
    <> wrote:

    >When running several programs at once, either minimized or hidden away from
    >the currently running program
    >(like running Notepad maximized in the foreground and Paint also maximized
    >but not in the front) and also having a lot of
    >running processes in icons at the lower right on the Start-menu line, when I
    >pick up another program that is minimized or not
    >in the front on the Start-menu line, the program that I click on with my
    >mouse quite often just only "bounces off" .

    Go to Start, enter MSCONFIG and press Enter. Click on the Startup tab.
    When a program is installed, it often set s a "helper program" to
    start when Windows starts. Great if yoou really need it (like
    antivirus or firewall) but if its something like a calendar reminder
    which you never use, it is only sapping system performance.

    The items in here if ticked usually appear in the System Tray (right
    hand end of the task bar). If all or most of the items are ticked and
    you have many of them, this can be a cause of slow system performance.

    Go through and try to identify which is which (you can use Google to
    help here). Disable any which you don't use. Be careful not to disable
    any pertaining to security - antivisur, firewall, antispyware.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 23, 2006