Windows XP Home Edition - hard drives unknown in BIOS settings

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by W Tsui, Aug 31, 2003.

  1. W Tsui

    W Tsui Guest

    My PC (Dell 8250) locked up, I turned it off, and now when I try to
    boot, I get this error:

    Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

    When I go in setup
    I see
    Primary Drive 0 Unknown Device
    Secondary Drive 0 unknown Device

    When I toggle to Primary/Secondary Drive 0 and hit enter, it is set to
    "Auto" for both, but it still won't boot.

    I read another thread on this board, which suggested that the battery
    on the motherboard might need replacing, but it sounds like it should
    still be able to boot from the setup menu each time if that's the
    case.

    I tried booting off the Windows CD, at which point I tried to use the
    "Recovery" option. I can't seem to get that to work (since I don't
    know what the admin password is -- anybody know what the default for
    that is on a Dell?); however, I ultimately end up at a C:\windows
    prompt and can do a DIR, so I don't think the drive itself is dead.

    Any ideas? Thanks very much in advance!
    W Tsui, Aug 31, 2003

  2. W Tsui

    °Mike° Guest

    As you have discovered, your drive is recognised, so why don't you
    just change the CMOS battery, like the other thread suggested?

    On 30 Aug 2003 18:44:34 -0700, in
    <>
    W Tsui scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 31, 2003

  3. W Tsui

    Suenet Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:44:34 -0700, W Tsui wrote:

    > My PC (Dell 8250) locked up, I turned it off, and now when I try to
    > boot, I get this error:
    >
    > Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility
    >
    > When I go in setup
    > I see
    > Primary Drive 0 Unknown Device
    > Secondary Drive 0 unknown Device
    >
    > When I toggle to Primary/Secondary Drive 0 and hit enter, it is set to
    > "Auto" for both, but it still won't boot.
    >
    > I read another thread on this board, which suggested that the battery
    > on the motherboard might need replacing, but it sounds like it should
    > still be able to boot from the setup menu each time if that's the
    > case.
    >
    > I tried booting off the Windows CD, at which point I tried to use the
    > "Recovery" option. I can't seem to get that to work (since I don't
    > know what the admin password is -- anybody know what the default for
    > that is on a Dell?); however, I ultimately end up at a C:\windows
    > prompt and can do a DIR, so I don't think the drive itself is dead.
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks very much in advance!

    Your hard drive kicked the bucket
    Suenet, Aug 31, 2003
  4. W Tsui

    Suenet Guest

    > As you have discovered, your drive is recognised, so why don't you
    > just change the CMOS battery, like the other thread suggested?

    Huh? Not likely the battery has expired on a new PC.

    Suenet, Aug 31, 2003
  5. W Tsui

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:59:00 -0400, in
    <>
    Suenet scrawled:

    >> As you have discovered, your drive is recognised, so why don't you
    >> just change the CMOS battery, like the other thread suggested?

    >Huh? Not likely the battery has expired on a new PC.

    Why not? And where was it stated that the PC was new?

    °Mike°, Aug 31, 2003
  6. W Tsui

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:56:08 -0400, in
    <>
    Suenet scrawled:

    >On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:44:34 -0700, W Tsui wrote:
    >
    >> My PC (Dell 8250) locked up, I turned it off, and now when I try to
    >> boot, I get this error:
    >>
    >> Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility
    >>
    >> When I go in setup
    >> I see
    >> Primary Drive 0 Unknown Device
    >> Secondary Drive 0 unknown Device
    >>
    >> When I toggle to Primary/Secondary Drive 0 and hit enter, it is set to
    >> "Auto" for both, but it still won't boot.
    >>
    >> I read another thread on this board, which suggested that the battery
    >> on the motherboard might need replacing, but it sounds like it should
    >> still be able to boot from the setup menu each time if that's the
    >> case.
    >>
    >> I tried booting off the Windows CD, at which point I tried to use the
    >> "Recovery" option. I can't seem to get that to work (since I don't
    >> know what the admin password is -- anybody know what the default for
    >> that is on a Dell?); however, I ultimately end up at a C:\windows
    >> prompt and can do a DIR, so I don't think the drive itself is dead.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? Thanks very much in advance!

    >Your hard drive kicked the bucket

    <quote>
    I ultimately end up at a C:\windows prompt and can do a DIR, so I
    don't think the drive itself is dead.
    <unquote>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 31, 2003
  7. W Tsui

    Suenet Guest

    > Subject: Re: Windows XP Home Edition - hard drives unknown in BIOS settings
    > From: °Mike° <>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 18:33:03 +0100
    >
    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:59:00 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Suenet scrawled:
    >
    >>> As you have discovered, your drive is recognised, so why don't you
    >>> just change the CMOS battery, like the other thread suggested?

    >>Huh? Not likely the battery has expired on a new PC.

    > Why not? And where was it stated that the PC was new?

    A dell Dimension 8250 is a pretty friggin new PC seeing they sell them
    with a 2.4 GHZ P4.
    Suenet, Aug 31, 2003
  8. W Tsui

    Suenet Guest

    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:56:08 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Suenet scrawled:
    >
    >>On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:44:34 -0700, W Tsui wrote:
    >>
    >>> My PC (Dell 8250) locked up, I turned it off, and now when I try to
    >>> boot, I get this error:
    >>>
    >>> Strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility
    >>>
    >>> When I go in setup
    >>> I see
    >>> Primary Drive 0 Unknown Device
    >>> Secondary Drive 0 unknown Device
    >>>
    >>> When I toggle to Primary/Secondary Drive 0 and hit enter, it is set to
    >>> "Auto" for both, but it still won't boot.
    >>>
    >>> I read another thread on this board, which suggested that the battery
    >>> on the motherboard might need replacing, but it sounds like it should
    >>> still be able to boot from the setup menu each time if that's the
    >>> case.
    >>>
    >>> I tried booting off the Windows CD, at which point I tried to use the
    >>> "Recovery" option. I can't seem to get that to work (since I don't
    >>> know what the admin password is -- anybody know what the default for
    >>> that is on a Dell?); however, I ultimately end up at a C:\windows
    >>> prompt and can do a DIR, so I don't think the drive itself is dead.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas? Thanks very much in advance!

    >>Your hard drive kicked the bucket

    > <quote>
    > I ultimately end up at a C:\windows prompt and can do a DIR, so I
    > don't think the drive itself is dead.
    > <unquote>

    Well then Mikey, tell us all what's wrong :)
    Suenet, Aug 31, 2003
  9. W Tsui

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:01:50 -0400, in
    <>
    Suenet scrawled:

    >> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:56:08 -0400, in
    >> <>
    >> Suenet scrawled:

    >>>Your hard drive kicked the bucket

    >> <quote>
    >> I ultimately end up at a C:\windows prompt and can do a DIR, so I
    >> don't think the drive itself is dead.
    >> <unquote>

    >Well then Mikey, tell us all what's wrong :)

    I already did, fool.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 31, 2003
  10. W Tsui

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:59:47 -0400, in
    <>
    Suenet scrawled:

    >> Subject: Re: Windows XP Home Edition - hard drives unknown in BIOS settings
    >> From: °Mike° <>
    >> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 18:33:03 +0100
    >>
    >> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:59:00 -0400, in
    >> <>
    >> Suenet scrawled:

    >>>Huh? Not likely the battery has expired on a new PC.

    >> Why not? And where was it stated that the PC was new?

    >A dell Dimension 8250 is a pretty friggin new PC seeing they sell them
    >with a 2.4 GHZ P4.

    Again, where was it stated that the PC was new, and what difference
    does that make to a dead battery, hmm?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 31, 2003
  11. W Tsui

    Suenet Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:39:23 +0100, °Mike° wrote:

    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:59:47 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Suenet scrawled:
    >
    >>> Subject: Re: Windows XP Home Edition - hard drives unknown in BIOS settings
    >>> From: °Mike° <>
    >>> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >>> Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 18:33:03 +0100
    >>>
    >>> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:59:00 -0400, in
    >>> <>
    >>> Suenet scrawled:

    >>> Why not? And where was it stated that the PC was new?

    >>A dell Dimension 8250 is a pretty friggin new PC seeing they sell them
    >>with a 2.4 GHZ P4.

    > Again, where was it stated that the PC was new, and what difference
    > does that make to a dead battery, hmm?

    Look ****-knuckle, How many dead lithium batteries have you pulled out of
    machines that were less than a year old? Hmmm ? Come on Mikey answer
    honestly :)
    Suenet, Aug 31, 2003
  12. W Tsui

    Suenet Guest

    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:01:50 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Suenet scrawled:
    >
    >>> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:56:08 -0400, in
    >>> <>
    >>> Suenet scrawled:

    >>> <quote>
    >>> I ultimately end up at a C:\windows prompt and can do a DIR, so I
    >>> don't think the drive itself is dead.
    >>> <unquote>

    >>Well then Mikey, tell us all what's wrong :)

    > I already did, fool.

    You did no such thing, moron :)
    Suenet, Aug 31, 2003
  13. W Tsui

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:57:28 -0400, in
    <>
    Suenet scrawled:

    >On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:39:23 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:59:47 -0400, in
    >> <>
    >> Suenet scrawled:

    >>>A dell Dimension 8250 is a pretty friggin new PC seeing they sell them
    >>>with a 2.4 GHZ P4.

    >> Again, where was it stated that the PC was new, and what difference
    >> does that make to a dead battery, hmm?

    >Look ****-knuckle, How many dead lithium batteries have you pulled out of
    >machines that were less than a year old? Hmmm ? Come on Mikey answer
    >honestly :)

    Again, where was it stated that the PC was new, and what difference
    does that make to a dead battery. Answer the question, fuckwit.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 31, 2003
  14. W Tsui

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:58:00 -0400, in
    <>
    Suenet scrawled:

    >> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:01:50 -0400, in
    >> <>
    >> Suenet scrawled:

    >>>Well then Mikey, tell us all what's wrong :)

    >> I already did, fool.

    >You did no such thing, moron :)

    You can't read.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 31, 2003
  15. W Tsui

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:59:47 -0400, Suenet wrote:

    >> Subject: Re: Windows XP Home Edition - hard drives unknown in BIOS settings
    >> From: °Mike° <>
    >> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >> Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 18:33:03 +0100
    >>
    >> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:59:00 -0400, in
    >> <>
    >> Suenet scrawled:

    >>>Huh? Not likely the battery has expired on a new PC.

    >> Why not? And where was it stated that the PC was new?

    >A dell Dimension 8250 is a pretty friggin new PC seeing they sell them
    >with a 2.4 GHZ P4.

    Batteries could have been sitting in the packets on a shelf somewhere
    for months before use.

    If you go into the BIOS settings for the disks can you enter the
    geometry settings instead of auto? Are they remembered?

    Have you tried the Reset CMOS jumper there should be one, in case there
    is an incorrect setting somewhere.

    Do you have another drive you could use as a test, disconnect the
    current drives put in the test one in, is it detected.

    Guessing then it's 80 conductor cables, are they okay, can you swap one
    with another set.

    As you said Pri/Sec you mean interface , so each is on on a different
    cable rather tham Master/Slave on the same cable. What about other
    devices on the cable(s)?

    www.dell.com and the support forums?

    Me
    why?, Aug 31, 2003
  16. W Tsui

    Suenet Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:01:29 +0100, °Mike° wrote:

    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:57:28 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Suenet scrawled:
    >
    >>On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:39:23 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:59:47 -0400, in
    >>> <>
    >>> Suenet scrawled:

    >>> Again, where was it stated that the PC was new, and what difference
    >>> does that make to a dead battery, hmm?

    >>Look ****-knuckle, How many dead lithium batteries have you pulled out of
    >>machines that were less than a year old? Hmmm ? Come on Mikey answer
    >>honestly :)

    > Again, where was it stated that the PC was new, and what difference
    > does that make to a dead battery. Answer the question, fuckwit.

    I stated it was new, you whining dickless pile of monkey nuts. Too new to
    suspect the fucking battery right of the bat. Now quit your fucking
    crying, pussy.
    Suenet, Aug 31, 2003
  17. W Tsui

    Suenet Guest

    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:58:00 -0400, in
    > <>
    > Suenet scrawled:
    >
    >>> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:01:50 -0400, in
    >>> <>
    >>> Suenet scrawled:

    >>> I already did, fool.

    >>You did no such thing, moron :)

    > You can't read.

    Oh the irony.
    Suenet, Aug 31, 2003
  18. W Tsui

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:52:02 -0400, in
    <>
    Suenet scrawled:

    >On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 22:01:29 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:57:28 -0400, in
    >> <>
    >> Suenet scrawled:

    >>>Look ****-knuckle, How many dead lithium batteries have you pulled out of
    >>>machines that were less than a year old? Hmmm ? Come on Mikey answer
    >>>honestly :)

    >> Again, where was it stated that the PC was new, and what difference
    >> does that make to a dead battery. Answer the question, fuckwit.

    >I stated it was new, you whining dickless pile of monkey nuts. Too new to
    >suspect the fucking battery right of the bat. Now quit your fucking
    >crying, pussy.

    Answer the question, or STFU.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 31, 2003
  19. W Tsui

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:57:28 -0400, Suenet wrote:

    >On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:39:23 +0100, °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:59:47 -0400, in
    >> <>
    >> Suenet scrawled:

    >>>A dell Dimension 8250 is a pretty friggin new PC seeing they sell them
    >>>with a 2.4 GHZ P4.

    >> Again, where was it stated that the PC was new, and what difference
    >> does that make to a dead battery, hmm?

    >Look ****-knuckle, How many dead lithium batteries have you pulled out of
    >machines that were less than a year old? Hmmm ? Come on Mikey answer
    >honestly :)

    I for one know of about 5 in about 400 new PCs. I sit near the hardware
    maintenance group at work and have seen then replace them within a week
    of delivery. That's of course after we get them, after the delivery
    company, after the supplier after deliverd from the UK source, after
    delivery from the plant and so on. Sometimes it can take 2 months or a
    bit more after the factory test before they turn up ready to install for
    the end-user.

    Me
    why?, Aug 31, 2003
  20. W Tsui

    Suenet Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:02:34 +0000, why? wrote:

    > On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 15:59:47 -0400, Suenet wrote:
    >
    >>> Subject: Re: Windows XP Home Edition - hard drives unknown in
    >>> BIOS settings From: °Mike° <>
    >>> Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    >>> Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 18:33:03 +0100
    >>>
    >>> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:59:00 -0400, in
    >>> <>
    >>> Suenet scrawled:

    >>> Why not? And where was it stated that the PC was new?

    >>A dell Dimension 8250 is a pretty friggin new PC seeing they sell them
    >>with a 2.4 GHZ P4.

    > Batteries could have been sitting in the packets on a shelf somewhere
    > for months before use.

    Lithium batteries last for years. Although it is possible to manufacture a
    battery incorrectly I've never changed one on any Dell Optiplex,
    Dimension, Latitude, Inspiron, or Poweredge. I did see a problem with the
    battery on a Dell PERC2si RAID 5 controller discharging prematurly but it
    was solved by flashing the controller's BIOS and installing software that
    allowed the admin to manually recharge it once a year. And the battery was
    NiCAD and not LIon

    > If you go into the BIOS settings for the disks can you enter the
    > geometry settings instead of auto? Are they remembered?

    A Dell dimension 8250 will autodetect good drives, and won't detect drives
    it's controller can't communicate with. It will detect drives with
    partition errors. It will detect drives with FAT errors. It will detect
    drives with no partitions.

    > Have you tried the Reset CMOS jumper there should be one, in case there
    > is an incorrect setting somewhere.

    That's good advice. Something in the BIOS could have got scrambled
    although I have never seen it in my 5 years of installing/setting
    up/repairing Dell desktops/laptops/workstations/servers. Dell was the
    -only- machine that I recomended to the 15 industrial/point of
    sale/non-profit/goverment clients that I had. That's over 300 Dell
    machines I managed. I don't even think I replaced more than maybe a dozen
    Dell hard drives in 5 years.

    > Do you have another drive you could use as a test, disconnect the
    > current drives put in the test one in, is it detected.

    More good advice. That would have been my very first diagnostic step, not
    suspecting the CMOS battery given my VAST experience with Dell products.
    I'm not saying that it is not a possibility but it is bad advice to steer
    someone who doesn't have the technical prowess and trouble shooting skills
    required to undertake said diagnostics in a logical manner.

    > Guessing then it's 80 conductor cables, are they okay, can you swap one
    > with another set.

    It is 80 conductor. Dell has been using them for maybe 3 years. I've
    worked on a ton of Dell PCs. I have -NEVER- seen a CMOS battery go bad.
    Some of these Dells were going on 7 years old.

    > As you said Pri/Sec you mean interface , so each is on on a different
    > cable rather tham Master/Slave on the same cable. What about other
    > devices on the cable(s)?

    The primary boot drive will be the master on the primary controller with
    the jumper set to -cable select- The CDRW if so equipped will be the
    master on the secondary controller jumpered for CSL.

    > www.dell.com and the support forums?

    Bah, I know more about Dell than Dell. :)

    One thing that bothers me besides mike thinking he can flame, is that the
    original poster stated that the Dell didn't see the drive in BIOS yet
    during the rescue attempt, the C: partition was visable and the SAM was
    accessable because the original poster said she needed a password. One
    final word of advise, You can boot an XP box with a Windows 2000 disc and
    you'll not need any passwords. Nice of Microsoft to include that in their
    "Most Secure" operating system to date.
    Suenet, Aug 31, 2003