Windows xp hibernates spontaneously and won't restart

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Frank, Jul 30, 2005.

  1. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Can some kind soul help me to return my Win XP pc to operation - today
    while I was using windows explorer a screen appeared that said
    ...."windows is preparing to hibernate" which it did and was
    unresponsive. The only way I could get back to windows was to push the
    power on button. When I did that windows resumed to the last screen I
    was working on and immediately went back to hibernation and was
    unresponsive.

    I tried F8 when windows was booting up but what I got was a screen
    that said "system restart has been paused and gave two
    to system boot menus.

    I tried continue with system restart but that merely took me back to
    the hibernate sequence - not knowing what the other option does I did
    not try it.

    Previous to encountering this problem I was doing some routine
    maintenance as follows:

    Ran SFC Scannow from Run
    Ran Disk Error Checking
    Ran Adaware
    Ran Spybot
    Ran Bazooka trojan checker
    Downloaded and installed Spyware Blaster
    Updated the HDD Life utility

    The most recent program along with windows explorer I had running at
    the time of the hibernation problem was the HDD Life utility
    immediately after the update. I have learned that others have
    experienced problems with the HDD Life upgrade.

    I will remove this program if I can get windows to run - can someone
    provide guidance on how to get around this hibernation curse and get
    back to an operational windows?

    Thanks for any assistance

    Frank

    Frank, Jul 30, 2005

  2. Frank

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Frank" <> wrote in message

    > Can some kind soul help me to return my Win XP pc to operation - today
    > while I was using windows explorer a screen appeared that said
    > ..."windows is preparing to hibernate" which it did and was
    > unresponsive. The only way I could get back to windows was to push the
    > power on button. When I did that windows resumed to the last screen I
    > was working on and immediately went back to hibernation and was
    > unresponsive.
    >
    > I tried F8 when windows was booting up but what I got was a screen
    > that said "system restart has been paused and gave two
    > to system boot menus.
    >
    > I tried continue with system restart but that merely took me back to
    > the hibernate sequence - not knowing what the other option does I did
    > not try it.

    Go ahead and do that second option. What hibernate does is write a big file
    to the HD with the exact state of Windows. That is a "restoration" file. If
    hibernate doesn't work, deleting the restoration file will often allow the
    computer to restart normally.

    <snip>

    Good luck! Please post back with your results.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 31, 2005

  3. Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    T Tim

    Thanks for the help - it seems to be back to operational status

    Frank

    ==

    ECLiPSE 2002, Jul 31, 2005
  4. Frank

    Toolman Tim Guest

    You betcha!

    Toolman Tim, Jul 31, 2005
  5. Frank

    trout Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    > "ECLiPSE 2002" <> wrote in message

    >> Thanks for the help - it seems to be back to operational status
    >>
    >> Frank

    > You betcha!

    It's always a good sign that a major problem's been fixed, when the
    OP posts back from a different account.
    --
    Good to know that, um, someone was helped.

    trout, Jul 31, 2005
  6. Frank

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in message
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >
    >> "ECLiPSE 2002" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks for the help - it seems to be back to operational status
    >>>
    >>> Frank

    >> You betcha!

    > It's always a good sign that a major problem's been fixed, when the
    > OP posts back from a different account.

    Quite true...

    Toolman Tim, Jul 31, 2005
  7. Frank

    MagicFigNewton

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Similar

    I'm having a similar issue. I think it either has to do with SuperAntiSpyWare or my video "card" drivers.

    Deleting the hibernation file doesn't work. However, safemode does work. Clearing out all StartUp programs on MSCONFIG doesn't do a damn thing.

    I'm almost sure there is SOMETHING in the registry telling windows to go directly to hibernation at startup. Unfortunately I have no idea where something like that would be located in that vast jumble of sh*t we call the registry.

    So, can anyone help? If you need any more info I will be more than happy to provide it.

    (I'm pretty good with computers so "baby steps" aren't necessary)

    EDIT
    By the way, I have no "hibernation options" when I go to "Display Properties - Screensaver - Power etc..." Not that I would expect to have that option in safe mode but nevertheless I decided to include that info. Also, this is a laptop.

    Okay, after searching for "hiber" in the registry I came up with one entry-- "HibernationPreviouslyEnabled"-- w/ a value of 1. I'm going to change it to 0 and see what happens. I shall report back.

    2nd EDIT
    Okay, that didn't work. Also, I forgot to mention that I am running Windows XP Home (Build 2600 SP2).

    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
    MagicFigNewton, Aug 17, 2008
  8. Frank

    MagicFigNewton

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    So nobody here cares enough to help me?

    MagicFigNewton, Aug 31, 2008
  9. Frank

    1RealTruth

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    MagicFigNewton. I see this is a really old message, I'm hoping you got this resolved. I can tell you one thing. It is NOT SuperAntiSpyware that is causing your problem.

    Do you have a second monitor plugged into your computer? You may be starting to that device instead. If this is a laptop, depending on the model, you may have to hit the keys <FN>+<F8> to switch display sources.

    I've been working on computers for over 27 years and using SuperAntiSpyware for 4-1/2 years. SuperAntiSpyware has never caused a display problem on any of my or my customers computers.

    If you would please let me know what the problem turned out to be I would be appreciative.

    Take care.

    1RealTruth, Dec 24, 2009
  10. Frank

    Pope

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Hi

    I wonder if you can help me? My son has an Acer Netbook, or is is Notebook, never sure which one. It's the little cheap thing that doesn't have a CD drive. It's used to play PC games (no internet use), and the "Windows Preparing to Hibernate" has come up. I can't even switch it off. It's completely stuck. No idea ho this has happened. Perhaps he pressed some keys he shouldn't have (he's only 5). Would really appreciate so help on how to get rid of this. Thanks

    Pope, Jan 30, 2010