    Double
    DoubleD's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1606
    View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=181910488
    DoubleD, Nov 8, 2005

  2. DoubleD

    jholland1964 Guest

    jholland1964, Nov 8, 2005

  3. DoubleD

    PC Guest

    "DoubleD" <> wrote in message
    news:D...

    > I need some help, I have a computer (with Windows XP Professional SP2)
    > that when I right click on the desktop and select properties nothing
    > opens up. Or if I go through the control panel and try to open
    > something up, nothing happens. I installed Registry Mechanic and ran it
    > and it did not correct the problem. I also read about repairing Windows
    > using the WINNT.EXE in the i386 folder and that did not even finish, so
    > that did not work. Anybody have any ideas????? Please help.
    >

    > DD.
    >

    > --
    > DoubleD
    > DoubleD's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=16064
    > View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=1819104883

    DD

    I spend a lot of time each month cleaning up PC's with Virus & Spyware
    infections.
    Your symptoms are very typical of a Virus or Spyware infection that has
    compromised your PC
    Programs like Registry Mechanic though competent at what they do are 'not'
    Anti Virus / Anti Spyware programs.

    I have had a quick look at the forum that 'jholland1964' suggested
    (http://forum.iamnotageek.com/t-1819059447.html)
    and can only encourage you to follow the steps therein. ALL the steps.

    If you do not feel inclined to follow those steps then your only (repeat
    'only') realistic alternative is to reformat and reinstall.

    BTW running WinNT.exe is not a good idea for XP, reinstallation it is best
    done by booting from the XP CD, especially as there is a version of
    WinNT.exe that is in fact a Virus
    (http://forum.iamnotageek.com/t-1819059447.html)

    Best of luck
    Paul.