    switch, and I don't want to have to pull the USB cable every time I
    reboot.
    Thanks
    Paul, Apr 3, 2009

  2. Possible long-term, cumulative OS corruption.

    But try running the HDD via a USB hub.

    Centre Parting, Apr 3, 2009

  3. Paul

    Barb Guest

    "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I have Windows XP Home SP 3.
    > Recently, its been getting stuck at 'Windows is starting' when I have
    > my Maxtor Basics 1.5TB external hard drie plugged in.
    > Its only recently started doing this, and I've tried rolling back via
    > System Restore and uninstalling recent programs but nothings worked.
    > Does anyone please have any ideas? The drive doesn't have a power
    > switch, and I don't want to have to pull the USB cable every time I
    > reboot.
    > Thanks

    I have a Seagate and Maxtor external HDD's. Both of them are "dodgy" with
    rebooting Windows, and it's a know issue, particularly with the Seagate.

    I have a powered USB hub, velcroed conveniently to the top of my PC box and
    simply unplug them when not in use. Either use the Safely Remove Hardware
    thingy in the system tray, or if that doesn't work, wait until the system is
    off before restarting.

    It's a pain, I know, but I haven't yet found a solution. Anyone?

    Barb UK
    Barb, Apr 3, 2009
  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    On Apr 3, 9:55 pm, "Band" <> wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi everyone,

    > > I have Windows XP Home SP 3.
    > > Recently, its been getting stuck at 'Windows is starting' when I have
    > > my Maxtor Basics 1.5TB external hard drie plugged in.
    > > Its only recently started doing this,

    > So you didn't change any configuration and though it functioned
    > perfectly the problem arose without any reason, and without
    > any change being made?
    >
    >  > and I've tried rolling back via
    >
    > > System Restore and uninstalling recent programs but nothings worked.

    > Thats confusing the issue, do you make a correllation with recently
    > installed software or changes and the problem arising?
    > Clarify.
    >
    > > Does anyone please have any ideas? The drive doesn't have a power
    > > switch, and I don't want to have to pull the USB cable every time I
    > > reboot.
    > > Thanks

    > Have you made any changes in the BIOS?
    > The USB connection you have the external HDD connected to, - did you
    > or do you connect any other USB devices to the same connection?
    >
    > First step, Device Manager:
    > You can open Device Manager by double-clicking on the System icon
    > in Control Panel, and choosing the Device Manager tab.
    > It is also accessible by right-clicking on My Computer, selecting
    > Properties,
    > and selecting the Device Manager tab.
    > Are any entries in device manager flagged as problematic- they will be
    > flagged
    > with either an Exclaimation or Questionmark.
    > Post back findings.

    Hi,

    Sorry, what I meant was that althought I haven't manualy been messing
    around with any setting, I have installed a couple of new programs. As
    they were they only things that had changed on the system I
    uninstalled them.
    I haven't made any changes to the bios, and the hard drive is in its
    own USB port as opposed to a hub.
    Nothings listed as a problem in device manager, but you've reminded me
    of something. I had uninstalled the drive itself through device
    manager, rebooted, then reinstalled afterwards, but still get them
    same problem,

    Paul
    Paul, Apr 3, 2009
  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    On Apr 5, 8:55 pm, "Band" <> wrote:
    > "PeeCee" <> wrote in message

    > > It's probably trying to boot from the USB connected drive.

    > > Try
    > > a) turning off any boot from external device settings in the Bios
    > > b) moving the USB drive to another USB port.

    > > Best
    > > Paul.

    > You haven't got a clue have you.
    > It is all covered in thread, so a day later you leap in based
    > on whats already been said,
    > So if the USB drive was included in the boot order,
    > and when the boot order got to the USB drive and didn't
    > find an OS to boot from, it moves on.
    > If the boot order found something on the USB - IF it were
    > in the boot order - but got confused, then an error message
    > would display.
    > The USB drive is not in the boot order.
    > If the OP returned we would have gone into BIOS to reset
    > the USB - Not the boot order. You Thicko.

    Hi guys,

    I've tried the suggestions mentioned, but unfortunately they don't
    work.
    Hi Band - The drive is running from its own power supply, I tried
    turing of all options under all USB Hubs for 'Allow the computer to
    turn off this device to save power', and yet if I boot into Safe Mode
    the boot-up completes without any problems and the drive is assigned a
    letter.
    This is really confusing me, especially as it worked fine to start
    with.
    Does System Restore ever work or is it just me? I tried restoring to
    six 'System Checkpoints', and always got 'Cannot be restored'. :)
    Lastly, I've had a quick look around the BIOS, but I don't think it
    will be anything in there due to the fact that I haven't changed any
    BIOS settings for more than a year, during which time the drive was
    working.

    Paul
    Paul, Apr 5, 2009
  6. Paul

    Paul Guest

    On Apr 6, 5:08 am, "Band" <> wrote:
    > "Band" <> wrote in message

    > > It is a USB issue, It could be "ghosting" where the port "remembers"
    > > another previously connected device, or the internal card is "confused"
    > > (IRQ etc) it can be reset in the BIOS but...
    > > first try the basic steps with attached external devices:
    > > In task bar notification area click Safely Remove Hardware Icon
    > > If not there - RIGHT click in the area
    > > A dialog appears "Customize Notifications"
    > > Scroll and locate "Safely Remove Hardware"
    > > Use the drop down to select "Always Show"
    > > Click the OK buttons and close that dialog
    > > The icon is now available and use it to remove the USB drive.
    > > Then goto Device Manager and fully remove all traces of USB hard drive
    > > Do NOT uninstall any associated software or drivers for the USB drive.
    > > Fully shut down PC, then fully disconnect the USB drive including cables.
    > > Restart PC without USB HDD connected.
    > > Fully shut down PC, reconnect USD cable and USB drive.
    > > Restart PC and Windows Found New Hardware wizard will detect
    > > the attached USB HDD and attempt to correctly reinstall it.
    > > Report back, if it still fails, the next step would be to remove and
    > > reinstall
    > > the CMOS battery so as to reset USB. But try above first.

    > Of course I should have stressed, in above procedure of using the
    > Safely Remove Hardware wizard and uninstalling in Device Manager -
    > perform in Safe Mode.- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Band,

    I tried what you suggested, but no luck.
    To be honest, I'm starting to think its something to do with the
    drives power settings.
    I have a Maxtor program with which I can change the idle time before
    the drive powers down.
    However, if I unplug it or turn the computer off, it switches off
    after approx 15 seconds. This can't be changed.
    I've noticed it powers down then back up again while Windows is
    booting (with the blue bar scrolling across), and it powers back up
    just before I get 'Windows is starting'.
    Strangely, if I plug it into my USB hub, and turn the computer on
    before the drive has started spinning, the computer starts up to the
    stage of asking for the BOIS password then freezes (just after the
    drive has powered up). Obviously this is nothing to do with Windows as
    it hasn't got that far.
    Also, I'm a bit reluctant to open my computer up as its a laptop.

    Paul
    Paul, Apr 5, 2009