Windows XP freezing up

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by plazticsoul, Feb 11, 2006.

  1. plazticsoul

    plazticsoul Guest

    I built a computer for my brother 2 years ago and it's running XP Pro. It
    was working fine for a while and but it encountered a serious error where it
    would freeze up, even going into safe mode. It's not logging any specific
    error. The hard disk is split into 2 partitions, one system and the other
    for media files. I tried deleting and re-creating the windows partition,
    installed XP with no problems, installed SP2 with no problems. Worked fine
    for 6 days and my brother reported that it wouldn't start up again. Not even
    in safe mode. He thought it was the hard drive and ordered a new one because
    he wanted more space anyway. I told him without physically looking at the PC
    I couldn't be certain it was the hard drive but I thought, oh well.

    The new drive came in and so I swapped the master/slave settings with the
    new one being master. create 2 partitions on the new drive, delete the
    windows partition from the slave (old) drive, transfer the files from the
    media partition on the slave to that of the master. The first problem I
    noticed is that during the copying of files from one drive to the other, the
    computer would power off completely. I tried to do this once more and got
    the same result. The PC would not power back on until after unplugging the
    power cord for a few seconds. So my answer for that is the power supply
    needs replacing.... most likely with a higher wattage. Assuming there wasn't
    enough juice to handle 2 hd's, I unplugged the old one (slave). Windows
    seemed to operate normally. I downloaded SP2 and it asked to restart. When I
    did, it froze up again. Even in safe mode.

    I got frustrated with it so after reinstalling Windows AGAIN, I powered it
    off. Now I ask, since the power supply is already in question, would that
    also cause a system to just freeze up? I think it's safe to assume this is
    not a hard drive problem.

    Jason
    A+,Network+

    plazticsoul, Feb 11, 2006

  2. plazticsoul

    Adam Leinss Guest

    "plazticsoul" <> wrote in

    > I got frustrated with it so after reinstalling Windows AGAIN, I
    > powered it off. Now I ask, since the power supply is already in
    > question, would that also cause a system to just freeze up? I
    > think it's safe to assume this is not a hard drive problem.

    Lots of things...once, a motherboard did it to me. It would freeze up
    the whole system where powering it off was the only answer. The cool
    that is that it would work for less and less time. It was down to 15
    minutes of working before I isolated the problem.

    Could be bad power. Throw a APC UPS on there that monitors sags and
    spikes and watch the results (my Smart-UPS 700 does this).

    Could be over heating. I had a customer once that keep reinstalling
    Windows 98 over and over again and it would corrupt through the
    install. Turns out the CPU fan was pouched.

    Could be flaky power supply. Swap it out with a known good one.

    I would take his PC back to your house and try it out. That would
    eliminate the bad power issue. If it keeps locking up, try a power
    supply. If that doesn't work, start switching out the parts with known
    good ones.

    Adam
    --
    Visit my PC Tech blog at www.leinss.com/blog

    Adam Leinss, Feb 11, 2006

  3. plazticsoul

    plazticsoul Guest

    I hope to God you're wrong about overheating. This was a past issue and the
    processor simply ran hot with no explanation. I replaced the cpu fan with a
    really good one thats meant for OCers and it's been just barely hanging on
    at a stable temp!!

    Power supply sounds like a good diagnosis. I'll try that. It's just that in
    my experience I have never had a system FREEZE due to a bad p.s. only
    restarts and powering off, you know?

    plazticsoul, Feb 11, 2006
  4. Plazticsoul,

    Sounds more like a temperature issue, especially the powering off
    suddenly........this is a P4 I assume? I had a P3 Slot 1 processor that
    would boot up fine, but then suddenly power off, the lack of thermal grease
    was the source of this failure. Might be a good idea to reinstall the CPU
    with heatsink and fan.

    Good Luck,

    --
    Edward A. Weissbard
    El Paso, TX

    "Life is easy with eyes closed"

    Edward A. Weissbard, Feb 11, 2006
  5. plazticsoul

    plazticsoul Guest

    Actually, it only powered off after I added a second hard drive and was
    copying a lot of files from one drive to the other. But the original problem
    was freezing after 2 years of running fine. I will check the temps to make
    sure, but I don't think it's overheating. It can be left off for a long
    period of time and then when powered on it may freeze even going into safe
    mode. However, I can boot to CD and it seems to have no problem while
    reinstalling the OS. And the original hard drive has been replaced.

    If it's the processor, not much else I can do, besides replace it. There's
    some major airflow in there.

    plazticsoul, Feb 11, 2006
  6. plazticsoul

    plazticsoul Guest

    This is got to be some kind of a joke. I didn't buy the new power supply
    yet, but I just took the current one out and looked at the wattage. Total
    output: 210W. Um.... WTF??? This was for a P4 2.8GHz system. 210W!!! It
    amazes me that this computer ran like it did for 2 years. No wonder reading
    from an additional HDD was too much. And btw the p.s. came with the case, so
    of course, it's generic and it's crap. For some reason I failed to even
    check the wattage on it. Guess when I ordered the parts, I put them together
    and everything worked at the time, so I didn't bother anymore with it. If it
    ain't broke, don't fix it, isn't that right? But I'm getting maybe a 450W
    today and see what that does.

    plazticsoul, Feb 11, 2006
  7. plazticsoul,

    wow, that is amazing at only 210W. I'm certain things will run better with
    a 450W Power Supply. Looked like you may have solved the problem.

    Good Luck,

    Edward A. Weissbard, Feb 11, 2006
  8. plazticsoul

    plazticsoul Guest

    Well, the original heatsink/fan that came with the CPU, as well as a spare
    combo from a dead CPU was mounted and re-mounted, without much noticeable
    difference. Then I had bought a special heatsink/fan for overclocking, and
    mounted that. A little difference, there, but it's still running higher than
    average. And yes, that thermal goop was used ;)

    plazticsoul, Feb 12, 2006
  9. plazticsoul

    plazticsoul Guest

    Sorry, but I was reading it wrong. It was a switching power supply, and the
    combined was 420W max. The damn thing was still faulty, though, and it fixed
    the powering off with the second HD attached.

    plazticsoul, Feb 12, 2006
  10. plazticsoul

    plazticsoul Guest

    I did memtest for several hours and did not detect any errors.

    The problem has been solved. The second hard drive attached making the
    computer power off WAS due to a bad power supply.

    HOWEVER, the XP freezing up was some BIOS problem associated with Prescott
    core CPUs. Windows XP needed a critical update for this before applying SP2.
    Apparently my brother had installed SP2 and left it on for 2 weeks straight.
    So when the system finally froze during a reboot, he didn't remember he put
    SP2 on it. This might have been corrected in the recovery console, before it
    was wiped out, had I known about it! And of course, each time I reinstalled
    XP Pro, I tried to apply SP2 again, hence the recurring problem.

    So although the power supply replacement was necessary, it was not the
    complete solution nor was it the original (because he hadn't opted for a
    second HD at the time). Jee whiz!

    So folks, if you're going to install SP2 for XP and you have a Prescott core
    CPU, check microsoft.com for that critical update first!!

    Jason
    A+, Network+

    plazticsoul, Feb 12, 2006
  11. plazticsoul

    plazticsoul Guest

    I've had both of these happen to me in the past, hehe!! But as many times
    and as many ways as I tried in the pc I'm referring to, I'm left with no
    conclusion other than the CPU just runs hot. I don't know if that is
    possible, but I eventually came to accept it. Luckily I don't think it
    contributed to the problem mentioned here.

    plazticsoul, Feb 13, 2006
  12. plazticsoul

    plazticsoul Guest

    Well, Barry, since it seems you know your stuff, maybe you could provide
    furthur guidance on a vague conversation I had with my brother after
    returning his PC.

    What I ended up doing was installing that critical update followed by SP1a,
    rather than 2, as I wanted to simply call it a weekend and wash my hands of
    any more SP2 related problems. I informed him that if desired he may want
    firewall protection. So he installed ZoneAlarm and it asked to reboot. He
    claimed that once it rebooted Windows would not start correctly and after a
    few times, he gave up and shut it off. Then later his wife got on and was
    able to load XP like normal and now there seems to be no internet access. I
    had him first disable and even uninstall the firewall app, restart the
    computer, and still no connection. He indicated that there were those
    blinking monitors on the bottom right of the task bar. I asked him to
    right-click and select "repair". It indicated that it completed
    successfully. Then I asked to go to command prompt and type "ipconfig
    /renew" and it was able to renew the IP address ok. I had him ping
    localhost, and no packets were lost. I then had him ping the default
    gateway, and this was not successful. So I had him release the IP
    configuration and renew it yet again, ending up with the same addresses from
    what I understand. Still could not ping the router. Tracert command cannot
    resolve anything either. A laptop is also connected to this router and the
    internet works. He claims he has reset the router.

    Why no internet access? Onboard LAN..... A faulty motherboard could explain
    a lot of other "ghosts in the machine" he's had.

    If it can successfully renew the IP configuration and if you could ping the
    localhost but not the router, and the router is working, then what is going
    on?

    Jason
    A+, Network+

    plazticsoul, Feb 13, 2006
  13. plazticsoul

    smackedass Guest

    > First, I ***NEVER*** install Zone-Alarm, Norton's Firewall or Security
    > software (beyond AV) or any other such software. I find that this stuff
    > causes FAR more problems than it is worth.

    > The only firewall that I use is the one built into SP2.

    Barry,

    That's very interesting, and counters what I usually hear. Apart from the
    average user having trouble downloading "forbidden" (but ok) files, knowing
    how to create "exceptions", and, in general, having a working understanding
    of how to manage their own firewall, would you be able to outline your
    thoughts about this matter? Obviously, you have your reasons...

    Thanks,

    smackedass

    smackedass, Feb 14, 2006
  14. plazticsoul

    MceRx0 Guest

    This is great advice and exactly how I do it.
    However, I do also use Sygate software firewall as well as my hardware
    firewall. The reason I use Sygate is because I want control over what
    is allowed to access the Internet, and to also keep an eye on what's
    trying to access the Internet.

    I've been using Sygate for years without any problems, but of course
    depending on different configurations your mileage may vary. :)

    MceRx0, Feb 14, 2006
  15. plazticsoul

    plazticsoul Guest

    It is behind a router already, and I did not instruct him to install
    ZoneAlarm. He chose to do this. You dont realize how annoying my brother is
    at times and I just decided I was going to do a quick fix and tell him if he
    has anymore problems, see somebody else, or wait until after my Microsoft
    70-290 exam. He was stealing all of my free time.

    Oh, btw, the instructions I gave him over the phone must have worked. After
    he hung up with me he shut down his computer. Next morning turned it on, and
    everything was fine. I guess it just needed a restart.

    plazticsoul, Feb 15, 2006
  16. plazticsoul

    Adam Leinss Guest

    Barry Watzman <> wrote in

    > At this point, you will have a very secure machine that will be
    > quite resistant to infection even if the user engages in "stupid
    > computer tricks". The SP2 built-in firewall + the hardware router
    > will keep out totally unsolicited attacks, while the Antivirus +
    > Antispyware will detect and prevent almost all infections from
    > unsolicited infected E-Mail and visits to malicious web sites.

    I would argue that if you are behind a router, the router is acting as
    a firewall and you really do not need a software firewall. That's the
    way I roll any ways (I always turn off the SP2 firewall).

    Also...I have problems with Microsoft Defender. I found the Spyware
    Blaster approach of loading the GUIDs of bad ActiveX controls and sites
    into the registry much less resource intensive then Defender (since
    Defender is just another product from GIANT software that MS bought
    out). If you load Regmon, you'll see Defender constantly checking
    certain registry keys for changes instead of using registry
    notification functions which are much less resource intensive.

    Finally, in the corporate environment, Defender really don't work.
    When I try to deploy VNC remotely to workstations via WSH, Microsoft
    Defender blocks this. Seems to do more harm then good.

    Adam
    --
    Visit my PC Tech blog at www.leinss.com/blog

    Adam Leinss, Feb 15, 2006
  17. plazticsoul

    MceRx0 Guest

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:45:50 GMT, Adam Leinss <>
    wrote:

    >Adam
    >--
    >Visit my PC Tech blog at www.leinss.com/blog

    I hate blogs!

    But your blog is actually interesting.

    Keep up the blog.................

    MceRx0, Feb 15, 2006
  18. plazticsoul

    Adam Leinss Guest

    MceRx0 <> wrote in

    > I hate blogs!
    >
    > But your blog is actually interesting.
    >
    > Keep up the blog.................

    Thanks...I generally hate blogs that are "touchy-feely" or are like "I
    picked my nose at 2PM...man I am bored". Those are really a waste of
    space in my opinion!

    Adam

    Adam Leinss, Feb 16, 2006
  19. plazticsoul wrote:
    > I did memtest for several hours and did not detect any errors.
    >
    > The problem has been solved. The second hard drive attached making the
    > computer power off WAS due to a bad power supply.
    >
    > HOWEVER, the XP freezing up was some BIOS problem associated with Prescott
    > core CPUs. Windows XP needed a critical update for this before applying SP2.
    > Apparently my brother had installed SP2 and left it on for 2 weeks straight.
    > So when the system finally froze during a reboot, he didn't remember he put
    > SP2 on it. This might have been corrected in the recovery console, before it
    > was wiped out, had I known about it! And of course, each time I reinstalled
    > XP Pro, I tried to apply SP2 again, hence the recurring problem.
    >
    > So although the power supply replacement was necessary, it was not the
    > complete solution nor was it the original (because he hadn't opted for a
    > second HD at the time). Jee whiz!
    >
    > So folks, if you're going to install SP2 for XP and you have a Prescott core
    > CPU, check microsoft.com for that critical update first!!
    >
    > Jason
    > A+, Network+
    >
    > "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    >> Almost any hardware can cause almost any symptom. The power supply is
    >> always suspect, it COULD cause all of the symptoms that you are seeing,
    >> that that doesn't mean that it is.
    >>
    >> The first step is always a memory test with a stand-alone memory
    >> diagnostic that does not run under either Windows or DOS, such as
    >> Memtest or Memtest86.

    That's good info, Jason. Thanks!

    The other thing I would have checked when you had the original problem
    was a visual inspection of the capacitors on the motherboard for leaks
    and/or bulging tops. When the caps start failing you'll experience all
    kinds of freezing up problems. They symptoms will have you suspecting
    the power supply, so I always do a visual inspection of the motherboard.

    The last time I saw this problem, the bad caps were mounted underneath
    the power supply, so it was ONLY after I removed the power supply that I
    spotted the bad caps and then replaced the motherboard.

    For more info on this problem, visit:

    http://www.badcaps.net/

    PPP Does NOT Equal Ping Pong Paddle, Feb 17, 2006
  20. Great advice, Barry! I couldn't agree more.

    I was curious about one thing you said was very important--updating the
    BIOS for Prescott processors. Can you shed more light on this, or any
    links to more info?

    Thanks!
    John

    PPP Does NOT Equal Ping Pong Paddle, Feb 17, 2006