Windows XP fax program without the disc.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by glorsmith@gmail.com, Apr 17, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I do not have the CD for Windows XP as my PC came with Windows XP
    already installed.

    I desparately need to use the faxing service.

    I can find the files in Windows/Service Pack Files/i386, but when I
    attempt to direct the fax setup to the i386 folder it is empty??

    Please assist me. I know just enought to be dangerous, bur not
    enough
    to know how to do this.

    Thanks so much for taking time to help others!

    Gloria

    , Apr 17, 2007

  2. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I do not have the CD for Windows XP as my PC came with Windows XP
    > already installed.
    >
    > I desparately need to use the faxing service.
    >

    > I can find the files in Windows/Service Pack Files/i386, but when I
    > attempt to direct the fax setup to the i386 folder it is empty??
    >

    > Please assist me. I know just enought to be dangerous, bur not
    > enough
    > to know how to do this.
    >

    > Thanks so much for taking time to help others!
    >

    > Gloria

    Hi, Gloria,

    You went to Control Panel, Printers and Faxes, then clicked on "Install a
    local fax printer" (left hand side), right?

    I'm afraid if that didn't work, you don't have the files you need.

    See, the "service pack files" you show on your PC may not have all the files
    required. Those are only updates, not the full installation set of files, so
    only updated things would be in there.

    Have you looked around the rest of the PC for another i386 folder?

    If you can't find the files that way, you will probably have to beg, borrow
    or steal a Windows XP Setup CD from somebody - family, friend, neighbor,
    etc.

    WhzzKdd, Apr 17, 2007

  3. JANA Guest

    You will need the XP installation disk for your computer.

    Why would you spend good money to buy a computer, and not buy a copy of the
    operating system???

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 17, 2007
  4. PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I do not have the CD for Windows XP as my PC came with Windows XP
    > already installed.
    >
    > I desparately need to use the faxing service.
    >

    > I can find the files in Windows/Service Pack Files/i386, but when I
    > attempt to direct the fax setup to the i386 folder it is empty??
    >

    > Please assist me. I know just enought to be dangerous, bur not
    > enough
    > to know how to do this.
    >

    > Thanks so much for taking time to help others!
    >

    > Gloria

    Gloria

    Start
    Control Panel
    Add Remove Programs
    Add Remove Windows components (left hand side)
    Put a tick in the Fax Service.
    Click <Next> to install.

    If that does not work, ring the PC manufacturer & ask why they didn't
    include the Fax components in their XP installation and how to install them.
    Note you may be liable for a fee if they decide the files are missing
    because of user error, in this case a reinstall will propabley be the way to
    replace the fax components.
    You may wish to do this anyway
    (Back your data up first as often the restore routine is 'destructive' ie it
    wipes 'all' files off the hard drive before restoring the factory image

    YMMV)

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Apr 17, 2007
  5. Jerry Attic Guest

    said in news:1176780988.124911.193840
    @n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

    > I do not have the CD for Windows XP as my PC came with Windows XP
    > already installed.
    >
    > I desparately need to use the faxing service.
    >

    > I can find the files in Windows/Service Pack Files/i386, but when I
    > attempt to direct the fax setup to the i386 folder it is empty??
    >

    > Please assist me. I know just enought to be dangerous, bur not
    > enough
    > to know how to do this.
    >

    > Thanks so much for taking time to help others!

    If you bought something like a Compaq, Dell, HP, etc. (especially the
    really cheap ones) they'll make a second partition on the hard drive and
    stick an image file or files for OS on it. If this isn't the case, you
    might want to borrow an installation CD like some of the others have
    mentioned. Another choice is to download some other free fax software or
    use an Internet service to do it:

    http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%
    3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=free+fax+software+for+windows+xp&btnG=Google+S
    earch

    Jerry Attic, Apr 17, 2007
  6. Adi Guest

    You can download any other Fax program, some are freeware for faxing from
    computer.

    I never use Windows XP Fax, because it isn't very effective.

    <> je napisal v sporocilo
    news: ...

    Adi, Apr 17, 2007