Windows XP crash with the classic blue screen

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Myname, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Myname

    Myname Guest

    can anyone help!?

    i'm getting this msg
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

    A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
    damage to your computer.

    A wait operation, attach process, or yield was attempted from a DPC
    routine.

    If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart
    your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

    Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
    If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
    for any windows updates you might need.

    If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or
    software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
    If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart
    your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
    Select Safe Mode.

    "Unreadable characters here"

    *** STOP: 0x000000B8 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

    Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
    assistance.

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

    newly installed system without kazaa lite intalled(had trouble with it
    b4)
    no overclocking, no memory tweaking(BIOS set as what the module says 3-3-
    3, crashed often with by the SPD setting)

    thanks in advance

    Myname, Oct 3, 2003

  2. Myname

    Myname Guest

    just checked in my computer's property under device management...
    the system board's resource memory range 00000000 - 0009FFFF

    the STOP occured at 0x000000B8

    any problem with my mobo?

    Myname, Oct 3, 2003

  3. Myname

    Rider Guest

    "Myname" <> wrote in message
    > can anyone help!?
    >
    > i'm getting this msg
    > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    >
    > A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
    > damage to your computer.
    >
    > A wait operation, attach process, or yield was attempted from a DPC
    > routine.
    >
    > If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart
    > your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
    >
    > Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
    > If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
    > for any windows updates you might need.
    >
    > If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or
    > software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
    > If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart
    > your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
    > Select Safe Mode.
    >
    > "Unreadable characters here"
    >
    > *** STOP: 0x000000B8 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    >

    > Beginning dump of physical memory
    > Physical memory dump complete.
    > Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
    > assistance.
    >
    > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    >
    > newly installed system without kazaa lite intalled(had trouble with it
    > b4)
    > no overclocking, no memory tweaking(BIOS set as what the module says 3-3-
    > 3, crashed often with by the SPD setting)
    >

    > thanks in advance

    Have you installed the security updates to block the Blaster and Welchia
    worms?

    Rider, Oct 3, 2003
  4. Myname

    Myname Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in news:blij4e$lo0$1
    @lust.ihug.co.nz:

    > Have you installed the security updates to block the Blaster and Welchia
    > worms?

    yep, the system is currently up to date... sp1 also installed... no new
    patches in my windows update.

    the system now is newly installed with all patches applied.

    thanks

    Myname, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Myname

    Acid Guest

    Have you checked the XP event logs? That may give some helpful info as to
    what happened.

    Acid, Oct 3, 2003
  6. Myname

    Guest

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 00:55:48 +0000 (UTC), Myname <> wrote:
    [msge snipped]
    >can anyone help!?
    >
    >i'm getting this msg
    >=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    >
    >A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
    >damage to your computer.

    I get this once or twice a month for no reason at all!
    This has only happened since I started downloading the updates!

    Dell USA tech dept after having a hdd failure earlier this year, told
    me NOT to update any XP updates from M$!

    The last time, something flashed up about mozilla [spg].

    When I finally got back up, found I had lost my Netscape boomark and
    Netscape is not working as it once was even though I have downloaded
    and reinstalled it.

    Cath

    , Oct 3, 2003
  7. Myname

    Andrew Guest

    Howd you paste that message into here?

    Andrew, Oct 3, 2003
  8. Myname

    Bobs Guest

    Methinks I got some similar shit as that when I had blaster and their ilk.

    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    I would download stinger just to make sure you don't have some variant
    of blaster.

    Bobs, Oct 3, 2003
  9. Myname

    Steven H Guest

    In article <%U5fb.5912$>,
    says...
    > Howd you paste that message into here?

    umm, wrote it down on paper

    once a comp BSOD's thats it you cant do shit with it.

    Steven H

    Steven H, Oct 3, 2003
  10. Myname

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 01:38:05 +0000 (UTC), Myname <> wrote:

    >"Rider" <> wrote in news:blij4e$lo0$1
    >@lust.ihug.co.nz:
    >
    >> Have you installed the security updates to block the Blaster and Welchia
    >> worms?

    >yep, the system is currently up to date... sp1 also installed... no new
    >patches in my windows update.
    >
    >the system now is newly installed with all patches applied.

    Are you sure? That's classic Blaster.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Oct 3, 2003
  11. Myname

    Myname Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in

    > Howd you paste that message into here?

    taken by DSC then used OCR

    Myname, Oct 3, 2003
  12. Myname

    Mr Scebe Guest

    Re: (Watch and learn) Windows XP crash with the classic blue screen

    "Myname" <> wrote in message
    > can anyone help!?

    Ok, when you get a stop screen the first thing to do is check whether it is
    listed on MS's website. Lo and behold,
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281428
    details a stop error of this nature if you are using a Zip drive. Now, it
    doesn't apply to XP (the fix is for 2k) but it does give you some insight
    into what may be causing the problem.

    In this case it appears to be Ppa.sys or Ppa3.sys. You may want to start
    with these system files, and check that they are the latest versions for XP.
    You may also want to check that you have the latest service pack.

    Do you have a Zip drive on your machine? Does it have the latest drivers,
    and is it listed on the HCL (hardware compatibility list).

    If the answer to these is no, check your eventlog Start -> Run, type in
    eventvwr. Check the application log for errors especially around the time of
    the dump.

    While this isn't an exhaustive list of fixes, it should set you going in the
    right direction.

    If none of this throws up any answers, then perhaps you could google:
    http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=stop error 0x000000B8&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=
    en&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

    which would probably bring you to:
    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

    From here you're on your own.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    Give someone a fish and you feed them for a day

    Mr Scebe, Oct 3, 2003
  13. Myname

    Bret Guest

    On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 01:38:05 +0000 (UTC), Myname <> wrote:

    >"Rider" <> wrote in news:blij4e$lo0$1
    >@lust.ihug.co.nz:
    >
    >> Have you installed the security updates to block the Blaster and Welchia
    >> worms?

    >yep, the system is currently up to date... sp1 also installed... no new
    >patches in my windows update.
    >
    >the system now is newly installed with all patches applied.
    >
    >thanks

    Didn't go on the net naked at all did you?

    Bret, Oct 3, 2003
  14. Myname

    Myname Guest

    Re: (Watch and learn) Windows XP crash with the classic blue screen

    "Mr Scebe" <> wrote in news:%hdfb.166741$JA5.4143903
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

    thanks mate!
    i did another search...in which i found another thing

    318988 Stop 0x000000B8 Error Occurs in a Windows 2000 Cluster Security
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318988

    CAUSE
    This problem may occur if the Clusnet.sys driver is loaded when the
    computer starts, which is at the wrong time. The load time may have been
    changed by a third-party vendor.

    it's also for win2k, but i did try to fix according to their solutions...
    well, turns out that the registry stated doesn't exist in WinXP.

    still wondering if the sharing/conflict thing(PCI bus, DMA controller)
    is involved in all this.

    thanks again!

    p.s i don't have zip drive.

    Myname, Oct 4, 2003
  15. > i'm getting this msg
    > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

    You don't tell us what you did before this message appeared.

    However, I have had the same problem, and it was self-inflicted.

    I am using an alien (Acorn RiscPC) to share the same Iomega ZIP drive, and
    somehow or other I reverted to a filing zystem for the ZIP drive that cannot
    handle long file names - something else to sort out. The result is, long
    file names generated on the native RiscPC harddisk get trunkated when
    transferring to the ZIP drive, which results in lots of files with the same
    name. WinXP then throws a wobbly when trying to read those ZIP disks. The
    short term solution was to rename, on the Acorn RiscPC, all the files with
    names that fit into eight characters. Windows XP now reads those disks quite
    happily.

    No Microsoft operating system was designed to be stable. They were all
    designed to be commercially viable, ie to generate repeat business. The
    Acorn Risc PC, with its Riscos system, is stable, so it did not generate
    enough repeat business, and it was eventually killed from within its own
    organisation. Yet the machines keep working still.

    Henry Falkner

    Henry Falkner, Oct 4, 2003
  16. Myname

    Nina Guest

    Re: Re: Windows XP crash with the classic blue screen

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 10:01:17 +1300, "Henry Falkner" <>
    wrote:

    >> i'm getting this msg
    >> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    >>

    >You don't tell us what you did before this message appeared.
    >
    >However, I have had the same problem, and it was self-inflicted.
    >
    >I am using an alien (Acorn RiscPC) to share the same Iomega ZIP drive, and
    >somehow or other I reverted to a filing zystem for the ZIP drive that cannot
    >handle long file names - something else to sort out. The result is, long
    >file names generated on the native RiscPC harddisk get trunkated when
    >transferring to the ZIP drive, which results in lots of files with the same
    >name. WinXP then throws a wobbly when trying to read those ZIP disks. The
    >short term solution was to rename, on the Acorn RiscPC, all the files with
    >names that fit into eight characters. Windows XP now reads those disks quite
    >happily.
    >
    >No Microsoft operating system was designed to be stable. They were all
    >designed to be commercially viable, ie to generate repeat business. The
    >Acorn Risc PC, with its Riscos system, is stable, so it did not generate
    >enough repeat business, and it was eventually killed from within its own
    >organisation. Yet the machines keep working still.
    >
    >Henry Falkner

    Congratulations on this post, particularly the last para. You have entered the
    Hall of Fame... and not the kill file. Thanks Henry,

    nof

    Nina, Oct 9, 2003