Windows XP boots to Desktop but no taskbar or icons

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GJ, Oct 22, 2004.

  1. GJ

    GJ Guest

    This morning went to start work at my home office and WIndows XP is
    munted!!! XP Professional SP1

    It will boot up to allow me to select the user account. On both user
    accounts, one with Admin rights, it boots until it shows the desktop
    wallpaper then stops. No taskbar or icons are shown.
    The intro music plays.
    I can open the Task Manager
    I cannot open Safe Mode and I just get a black screen with SAFE MODE in
    the corners and nothing else.

    I googled and ended up running "sfc /scannow" (spelling) that ran okay
    and changed the colours/settings to 256 colours and 800x600 (ugly). I
    found some sites that said it can be due to Windows Update not
    completing an update but I have the update set to manual so I started
    the CMD through Task Manager and browsed to the WIndows folder and
    wound the WIndows Update.log. It seemed like nothing had been
    installed.

    I am now at a loss for what to do apart from reinstalling XP.
    Any bright ideas out there? Thanks

    GJ

    GJ, Oct 22, 2004

  2. GJ

    Rider Guest

    "GJ" <> wrote in message
    > This morning went to start work at my home office and WIndows XP is
    > munted!!! XP Professional SP1
    >
    > It will boot up to allow me to select the user account. On both user
    > accounts, one with Admin rights, it boots until it shows the desktop
    > wallpaper then stops. No taskbar or icons are shown.
    > The intro music plays.
    > I can open the Task Manager
    > I cannot open Safe Mode and I just get a black screen with SAFE MODE in
    > the corners and nothing else.
    >
    > I googled and ended up running "sfc /scannow" (spelling) that ran okay
    > and changed the colours/settings to 256 colours and 800x600 (ugly). I
    > found some sites that said it can be due to Windows Update not
    > completing an update but I have the update set to manual so I started
    > the CMD through Task Manager and browsed to the WIndows folder and
    > wound the WIndows Update.log. It seemed like nothing had been
    > installed.
    >
    > I am now at a loss for what to do apart from reinstalling XP.
    > Any bright ideas out there? Thanks
    >
    > GJ

    Have you tried running chkdsk /r from recovery console (boot off the cd I
    think) ... that worked for me once when a similar thing happened.

    Rider

    Rider, Oct 22, 2004

  3. GJ

    PseUDO Guest

    GJ wrote:
    > This morning went to start work at my home office and WIndows XP is
    > munted!!! XP Professional SP1
    >
    > It will boot up to allow me to select the user account. On both user
    > accounts, one with Admin rights, it boots until it shows the desktop
    > wallpaper then stops. No taskbar or icons are shown.
    > The intro music plays.
    > I can open the Task Manager
    > I cannot open Safe Mode and I just get a black screen with SAFE MODE in
    > the corners and nothing else.
    >
    > I googled and ended up running "sfc /scannow" (spelling) that ran okay
    > and changed the colours/settings to 256 colours and 800x600 (ugly). I
    > found some sites that said it can be due to Windows Update not
    > completing an update but I have the update set to manual so I started
    > the CMD through Task Manager and browsed to the WIndows folder and
    > wound the WIndows Update.log. It seemed like nothing had been
    > installed.
    >
    > I am now at a loss for what to do apart from reinstalling XP.
    > Any bright ideas out there? Thanks
    >
    > GJ

    Isn't their some sort of joke type .exe file that can be put on someones
    system that does what you describe??

    Tried running system restore? if you can get to a command prompt try
    c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe that should let you restore back
    to when you had a good configuration.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Oct 22, 2004
  4. GJ

    frederick Guest

    "GJ" <> wrote in message
    > This morning went to start work at my home office and WIndows XP is
    > munted!!! XP Professional SP1
    >
    > It will boot up to allow me to select the user account. On both user
    > accounts, one with Admin rights, it boots until it shows the desktop
    > wallpaper then stops. No taskbar or icons are shown.
    > The intro music plays.
    > I can open the Task Manager
    > I cannot open Safe Mode and I just get a black screen with SAFE MODE in
    > the corners and nothing else.
    >
    > I googled and ended up running "sfc /scannow" (spelling) that ran okay
    > and changed the colours/settings to 256 colours and 800x600 (ugly). I
    > found some sites that said it can be due to Windows Update not
    > completing an update but I have the update set to manual so I started
    > the CMD through Task Manager and browsed to the WIndows folder and
    > wound the WIndows Update.log. It seemed like nothing had been
    > installed.
    >
    > I am now at a loss for what to do apart from reinstalling XP.
    > Any bright ideas out there? Thanks
    >
    > GJ

    The system restore from a prompt - if you can get it as suggested by Pseudo is
    your best bet.
    Alternatively when you get task manager running, from the menu select File|New
    Task

    enter: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe

    (Assuming that you are on C: Drive)

    That should bring up the system restore gui.

    frederick, Oct 22, 2004
  5. GJ

    David Kirk Guest

    On 21 Oct 2004 16:04:35 -0700, "GJ" <> wrote:

    >This morning went to start work at my home office and WIndows XP is
    >munted!!! XP Professional SP1
    >
    >It will boot up to allow me to select the user account. On both user
    >accounts, one with Admin rights, it boots until it shows the desktop
    >wallpaper then stops. No taskbar or icons are shown.
    >The intro music plays.
    >I can open the Task Manager
    >I cannot open Safe Mode and I just get a black screen with SAFE MODE in
    >the corners and nothing else.
    >
    >I googled and ended up running "sfc /scannow" (spelling) that ran okay
    >and changed the colours/settings to 256 colours and 800x600 (ugly). I
    >found some sites that said it can be due to Windows Update not
    >completing an update but I have the update set to manual so I started
    >the CMD through Task Manager and browsed to the WIndows folder and
    >wound the WIndows Update.log. It seemed like nothing had been
    >installed.
    >
    >I am now at a loss for what to do apart from reinstalling XP.
    >Any bright ideas out there? Thanks
    >
    >GJ

    Open Task Manager and run explorer.exe. That should get your taskbar
    and icons back. Then you can start looking for viruses or other
    malware.

    --
    Later

    David Kirk

    David Kirk, Oct 22, 2004
  6. GJ

    GJ Guest

    David Kirk wrote:

    >On 21 Oct 2004 16:04:35 -0700, "GJ" <> wrote:
    >

    >>This morning went to start work at my home office and WIndows XP is
    >>munted!!! XP Professional SP1
    >>
    >>It will boot up to allow me to select the user account. On both user
    >>accounts, one with Admin rights, it boots until it shows the desktop
    >>wallpaper then stops. No taskbar or icons are shown.
    >>The intro music plays.
    >>I can open the Task Manager
    >>I cannot open Safe Mode and I just get a black screen with SAFE MODE in
    >>the corners and nothing else.
    >>
    >>I googled and ended up running "sfc /scannow" (spelling) that ran okay
    >>and changed the colours/settings to 256 colours and 800x600 (ugly). I
    >>found some sites that said it can be due to Windows Update not
    >>completing an update but I have the update set to manual so I started
    >>the CMD through Task Manager and browsed to the WIndows folder and
    >>wound the WIndows Update.log. It seemed like nothing had been
    >>installed.
    >>
    >>I am now at a loss for what to do apart from reinstalling XP.
    >>Any bright ideas out there? Thanks
    >>
    >>GJ
    >>

    >Open Task Manager and run explorer.exe. That should get your taskbar
    >and icons back. Then you can start looking for viruses or other
    >malware.

    I have just run chkdsk as recommended.
    Running Explorer.exe does nothing. The taks/process will not come up.
    I am currently responding to the NG using thunderbird on my PC.
    I ran Thunderbird from the Task > New command. Crap colours and
    resolution but hey, I have internet. Just no icons, taskbar, explorer.exe.
    I can also run Firefox the same way.
    I am starting to feel Explorer.exe has a shyness complex.

    My next step is to try the Restore facility. I will post my results
    after running Restore.

    GJ

    GJ, Oct 22, 2004
  7. GJ

    gj Guest

    GJ wrote:

    > David Kirk wrote:
    >
    >> On 21 Oct 2004 16:04:35 -0700, "GJ" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> This morning went to start work at my home office and WIndows XP is
    >>> munted!!! XP Professional SP1
    >>>
    >>> It will boot up to allow me to select the user account. On both user
    >>> accounts, one with Admin rights, it boots until it shows the desktop
    >>> wallpaper then stops. No taskbar or icons are shown.
    >>> The intro music plays.
    >>> I can open the Task Manager
    >>> I cannot open Safe Mode and I just get a black screen with SAFE MODE in
    >>> the corners and nothing else.
    >>>
    >>> I googled and ended up running "sfc /scannow" (spelling) that ran okay
    >>> and changed the colours/settings to 256 colours and 800x600 (ugly). I
    >>> found some sites that said it can be due to Windows Update not
    >>> completing an update but I have the update set to manual so I started
    >>> the CMD through Task Manager and browsed to the WIndows folder and
    >>> wound the WIndows Update.log. It seemed like nothing had been
    >>> installed.
    >>>
    >>> I am now at a loss for what to do apart from reinstalling XP.
    >>> Any bright ideas out there? Thanks
    >>>
    >>> GJ
    >>>

    >> Open Task Manager and run explorer.exe. That should get your taskbar
    >> and icons back. Then you can start looking for viruses or other
    >> malware.
    >>

    > I have just run chkdsk as recommended.
    > Running Explorer.exe does nothing. The taks/process will not come up.
    > I am currently responding to the NG using thunderbird on my PC.
    > I ran Thunderbird from the Task > New command. Crap colours and
    > resolution but hey, I have internet. Just no icons, taskbar, explorer.exe.
    > I can also run Firefox the same way.
    > I am starting to feel Explorer.exe has a shyness complex.
    >
    > My next step is to try the Restore facility. I will post my results
    > after running Restore.
    >
    > GJ

    Just tried the RSTRUI from the command prompt and got a dialog box but
    no contents after 2-3 minutes.

    the processes running in Task Manager at present are:
    wuauclt.exe (flicking on then off as a process ever 15 seconds or so)
    winlogon.exe
    csrss.exe
    taskmgr.exe

    If I cant resolve this I will have to do a reinstall I think. If I do
    this what happens to the c:\Documents and Settings\userxxx folders, etc

    GJ

    gj, Oct 22, 2004
  8. In article <>,
    says...
    > It will boot up to allow me to select the user account. On both user
    > accounts, one with Admin rights, it boots until it shows the desktop
    > wallpaper then stops. No taskbar or icons are shown.

    I've encountered this a few times. First aid: turn the computer off at
    the wall. Leave for 10 to 15 seconds. Try again.

    Remember that 'turning your computer off' these days leaves the
    motherboard partly powered up. So if you have the equivalent of a
    snowcrash that corrupted memory doesn't get cleared when you 'turn off'.

    So far this has always worked for me .....

    -Peter

    --
    ***************
    direct replies to peters[underscore]spambot[at]

    Peter Huebner, Oct 23, 2004
  9. GJ

    gj Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>It will boot up to allow me to select the user account. On both user
    >>accounts, one with Admin rights, it boots until it shows the desktop
    >>wallpaper then stops. No taskbar or icons are shown.

    > I've encountered this a few times. First aid: turn the computer off at
    > the wall. Leave for 10 to 15 seconds. Try again.
    >
    > Remember that 'turning your computer off' these days leaves the
    > motherboard partly powered up. So if you have the equivalent of a
    > snowcrash that corrupted memory doesn't get cleared when you 'turn off'.
    >
    > So far this has always worked for me .....
    >
    > -Peter

    Thanks for that but I have tried after long periods of the PC being off.
    I am about to reinstall XP with a full reformat of the hard drive.

    GJ

    gj, Oct 24, 2004