    without it, it's taking 3 minutes or so. my guess it is looking for a
    network, but cant find one. so if this is the case can we tell it not to
    look for a network or something?

    Diehard, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Diehard

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in
    news:jmSBb.10585$:

    > i set up my uncles pc and had a nic in it and installed windows xp.
    > used my cable modem to download all updates for xp. when i took out my
    > nic his pc now takes 3-5 times longer to boot. it sists there at the
    > windows screen with the blue squares scrolling, but does boot. is it
    > looking for a network and stuff or what's wrong? with my nic in it it
    > booted up normally fine, but without it, it's taking 3 minutes or so.
    > my guess it is looking for a network, but cant find one. so if this is
    > the case can we tell it not to look for a network or something?

    Network Interface Card manufactures have drivers for their cards even
    different drivers for various models within their own line, which will
    not work when one driver for a particular model is used on another model,
    let alone using a driver on a card that belongs to another manufacturer,
    if this is indeed the case.

    At this point, you should find out with the make and model of the NIC
    that you need to use and go to the Device Manager by right-clicking on
    the MY Computer line and selecting Properties. And then proceed to the
    NIC card device and install the correct driver for the NIC, which may be
    on the XP install CD or you may have to go out to the NIC's Website and
    download the correct NIC driver and install it.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > "Diehard" <> wrote in
    >
    > > i set up my uncles pc and had a nic in it and installed windows xp.
    > > used my cable modem to download all updates for xp. when i took out my
    > > nic his pc now takes 3-5 times longer to boot. it sists there at the
    > > windows screen with the blue squares scrolling, but does boot. is it
    > > looking for a network and stuff or what's wrong? with my nic in it it
    > > booted up normally fine, but without it, it's taking 3 minutes or so.
    > > my guess it is looking for a network, but cant find one. so if this is
    > > the case can we tell it not to look for a network or something?
    > >

    > Network Interface Card manufactures have drivers for their cards even
    > different drivers for various models within their own line, which will
    > not work when one driver for a particular model is used on another model,
    > let alone using a driver on a card that belongs to another manufacturer,
    > if this is indeed the case.
    >
    > At this point, you should find out with the make and model of the NIC
    > that you need to use and go to the Device Manager by right-clicking on
    > the MY Computer line and selecting Properties. And then proceed to the
    > NIC card device and install the correct driver for the NIC, which may be
    > on the XP install CD or you may have to go out to the NIC's Website and
    > download the correct NIC driver and install it.
    >
    > Duane :)

    What does that have to do with my uncles slow boot problem? nothing.

    Diehard, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in message

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > > "Diehard" <> wrote in
    > >
    > > > i set up my uncles pc and had a nic in it and installed windows xp.
    > > > used my cable modem to download all updates for xp. when i took out my
    > > > nic his pc now takes 3-5 times longer to boot. it sists there at the
    > > > windows screen with the blue squares scrolling, but does boot. is it
    > > > looking for a network and stuff or what's wrong? with my nic in it it
    > > > booted up normally fine, but without it, it's taking 3 minutes or so.
    > > > my guess it is looking for a network, but cant find one. so if this is
    > > > the case can we tell it not to look for a network or something?
    > > >

    > > Network Interface Card manufactures have drivers for their cards even
    > > different drivers for various models within their own line, which will
    > > not work when one driver for a particular model is used on another

    model,
    > > let alone using a driver on a card that belongs to another manufacturer,
    > > if this is indeed the case.
    > >
    > > At this point, you should find out with the make and model of the NIC
    > > that you need to use and go to the Device Manager by right-clicking on
    > > the MY Computer line and selecting Properties. And then proceed to the
    > > NIC card device and install the correct driver for the NIC, which may be
    > > on the XP install CD or you may have to go out to the NIC's Website and
    > > download the correct NIC driver and install it.
    > >
    > > Duane :)
    > >

    > What does that have to do with my uncles slow boot problem? nothing.

    All I mean is I'm not sure it has to do with anything. I took my card out
    then it started to boot slowly. I think it's cus it is looking for a network
    and can not find one. I am now asking if this is probably the problem and if
    I can tell windows xp not to look for a network on bootup, like delete the
    network from a control panel network or something like that? He don't have a
    network so there's not even a need for me to put in my nic, other then to
    get on cable modem access and download stuff faster to complete my install
    of win xp for him.

    Diehard, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Diehard

    Thor Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in message

    > "Diehard" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > > > "Diehard" <> wrote in

    my

    it

    so.

    is

    > > > Network Interface Card manufactures have drivers for their cards even
    > > > different drivers for various models within their own line, which will
    > > > not work when one driver for a particular model is used on another

    > model,
    > > > let alone using a driver on a card that belongs to another

    manufacturer,
    > > > if this is indeed the case.
    > > >
    > > > At this point, you should find out with the make and model of the NIC
    > > > that you need to use and go to the Device Manager by right-clicking on
    > > > the MY Computer line and selecting Properties. And then proceed to the
    > > > NIC card device and install the correct driver for the NIC, which may

    be
    > > > on the XP install CD or you may have to go out to the NIC's Website

    and
    > > > download the correct NIC driver and install it.
    > > >
    > > > Duane :)
    > > >

    > > What does that have to do with my uncles slow boot problem? nothing.
    > >

    > All I mean is I'm not sure it has to do with anything. I took my card out
    > then it started to boot slowly. I think it's cus it is looking for a

    network
    > and can not find one. I am now asking if this is probably the problem and

    if
    > I can tell windows xp not to look for a network on bootup, like delete the
    > network from a control panel network or something like that? He don't have

    > network so there's not even a need for me to put in my nic, other then to
    > get on cable modem access and download stuff faster to complete my install
    > of win xp for him.

    Did you uninstall the card from the device manager prior to removing it?
    Perhaps you should try that.

    Thor, Dec 11, 2003
  6. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Diehard" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Diehard" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message

    xp.

    out
    > my

    the

    it

    > it

    > so.

    this
    > is

    even

    will

    > > model,

    > manufacturer,

    NIC

    on

    the

    may
    > be

    > and

    > > > What does that have to do with my uncles slow boot problem? nothing.
    > > >

    > > All I mean is I'm not sure it has to do with anything. I took my card

    out
    > > then it started to boot slowly. I think it's cus it is looking for a

    > network
    > > and can not find one. I am now asking if this is probably the problem

    and
    > if
    > > I can tell windows xp not to look for a network on bootup, like delete

    the
    > > network from a control panel network or something like that? He don't

    have
    > > network so there's not even a need for me to put in my nic, other then

    > > get on cable modem access and download stuff faster to complete my

    install
    > > of win xp for him.

    > Did you uninstall the card from the device manager prior to removing it?
    > Perhaps you should try that.

    No, but thanks, I'll call my uncle tonight and tell him to do that.

    Diehard, Dec 11, 2003
  7. Diehard

    Thor Guest

    > > Did you uninstall the card from the device manager prior to removing it?
    > > Perhaps you should try that.
    > >

    > No, but thanks, I'll call my uncle tonight and tell him to do that.

    Um, you'll likely need to put your NIC card back in, because it won't be
    listed there otherwise. My point was that WindowsXP might do a better job of
    removing the network settings/dependencies if the device is uninstalled via
    the device manager instead of just arbitrarily yanked out of the system. But
    if you've already removed it, you'll need to reinstall it, then uninstall
    it.

    Thor, Dec 11, 2003
  8. Diehard

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >> "Diehard" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > i set up my uncles pc and had a nic in it and installed windows xp.
    >> > used my cable modem to download all updates for xp. when i took out
    >> > my nic his pc now takes 3-5 times longer to boot. it sists there at
    >> > the windows screen with the blue squares scrolling, but does boot.
    >> > is it looking for a network and stuff or what's wrong? with my nic
    >> > in it it booted up normally fine, but without it, it's taking 3
    >> > minutes or so. my guess it is looking for a network, but cant find
    >> > one. so if this is the case can we tell it not to look for a
    >> > network or something?
    >> >

    >> Network Interface Card manufactures have drivers for their cards even
    >> different drivers for various models within their own line, which
    >> will not work when one driver for a particular model is used on
    >> another model, let alone using a driver on a card that belongs to
    >> another manufacturer, if this is indeed the case.
    >>
    >> At this point, you should find out with the make and model of the
    >> NIC that you need to use and go to the Device Manager by
    >> right-clicking on the MY Computer line and selecting Properties. And
    >> then proceed to the NIC card device and install the correct driver
    >> for the NIC, which may be on the XP install CD or you may have to go
    >> out to the NIC's Website and download the correct NIC driver and
    >> install it.
    >>
    >> Duane :)
    >>

    > What does that have to do with my uncles slow boot problem? nothing.

    machine would even be doing a dial-up. No one can read between the lines
    of a misleading post.

    And besides, you yanked the NIC out of the machine without disabling it
    and that alone could be causing problems.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 11, 2003
  9. Diehard

    > "Diehard" <> wrote in
    >

    > > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > >> "Diehard" <> wrote in

    > >> Network Interface Card manufactures have drivers for their cards even
    > >> different drivers for various models within their own line, which
    > >> will not work when one driver for a particular model is used on
    > >> another model, let alone using a driver on a card that belongs to
    > >> another manufacturer, if this is indeed the case.
    > >>
    > >> At this point, you should find out with the make and model of the
    > >> NIC that you need to use and go to the Device Manager by
    > >> right-clicking on the MY Computer line and selecting Properties. And
    > >> then proceed to the NIC card device and install the correct driver
    > >> for the NIC, which may be on the XP install CD or you may have to go
    > >> out to the NIC's Website and download the correct NIC driver and
    > >> install it.
    > >>
    > >> Duane :)
    > >>

    > > What does that have to do with my uncles slow boot problem? nothing.

    > machine would even be doing a dial-up. No one can read between the lines
    > of a misleading post.
    >
    > And besides, you yanked the NIC out of the machine without disabling it
    > and that alone could be causing problems.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Sorry. :(((

    Diehard, Dec 12, 2003
  10. Diehard

    Diehard Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in message
    > i set up my uncles pc and had a nic in it and installed windows xp. used

    my
    > cable modem to download all updates for xp. when i took out my nic his pc
    > now takes 3-5 times longer to boot. it sists there at the windows screen
    > with the blue squares scrolling, but does boot. is it looking for a

    network
    > and stuff or what's wrong? with my nic in it it booted up normally fine,

    but
    > without it, it's taking 3 minutes or so. my guess it is looking for a
    > network, but cant find one. so if this is the case can we tell it not to
    > look for a network or something?

    Ok, so my uncle got to his device manager and there is no network adapter
    listed cus he doesn't have it anymore. how does he speed up his boot then? i
    took my card out and since then he has to wait like 3 minutes for it to
    boot. and i assume it's looking for a network.

    Diehard, Dec 15, 2003
  11. Diehard

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Diehard" <> wrote in

    > "Diehard" <> wrote in message
    >> i set up my uncles pc and had a nic in it and installed windows xp.
    >> used

    > my
    >> cable modem to download all updates for xp. when i took out my nic
    >> his pc now takes 3-5 times longer to boot. it sists there at the
    >> windows screen with the blue squares scrolling, but does boot. is it
    >> looking for a

    > network
    >> and stuff or what's wrong? with my nic in it it booted up normally
    >> fine,

    > but
    >> without it, it's taking 3 minutes or so. my guess it is looking for a
    >> network, but cant find one. so if this is the case can we tell it not
    >> to look for a network or something?
    >>

    > Ok, so my uncle got to his device manager and there is no network
    > adapter listed cus he doesn't have it anymore. how does he speed up
    > his boot then? i took my card out and since then he has to wait like 3
    > minutes for it to boot. and i assume it's looking for a network.

    Well,

    Just because the device is not showing doesn't mean that the O/S is not
    using some elements of the NIC logic and the NIC is not there at bootup,
    because you *ripped* it out of the machine and you didn't properly tell
    the O/S that the NIC is not there.

    You said it in your statments above. With the NIC in the machine it does
    this and without the NIC it does that.

    I am not saying that putting the NIC back into the machine and telling
    the O/S *properly* that it is not there is going to fix anything. But
    your options to fix this seems *limited*. :)

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Dec 15, 2003