    checked the Workgroup name, etc..Any suggestions?
    --
    mar

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaW8=?=, Apr 26, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaW8=?=

    Malke Guest

    Mario wrote:

    > I have a machine running XP and a Laptop (wireless) running 98SE. I
    > can get them to ping each other but I can't get my Laptop to print to
    > the shared
    > printer on the XP machine. When I go into the Network Neighborhood on
    > th
    > eLaptop it does not see any Network. I tried adding a network printer
    > to the
    > Laptop but when I try to add a path it says it can't find the network.
    > I've checked the Workgroup name, etc..Any suggestions?

    There is no problem networking a Win9x box and an XP box. You didn't say
    what version of XP you have (Home, Pro) or the service pack level. I'm
    going to assume SP2.

    This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the
    Network Setup Wizard on both computers (see below for details), making
    sure to enable File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is
    that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't
    running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
    Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're
    fine. If you have third-party firewall software, configure it to allow
    the Local Area Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my
    firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.
    Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet.

    Shared Documents folder.

    Per MVP Steve Winograd - To run XP's network wizard on Win98:

    Transfer this file, which contains the Wizard, from WIN XP to Windows98
    and run it on 98. You can E-mail it, burn it to a CD, etc:

    C:\Windows\System32\Netsetup.exe

    To set up Windows 98 manually, without using the Wizard, go to Control
    Panel>Network and:

    1. Add these network components if they aren't already present:

    TCP/IP protocol
    Client for Microsoft Networks
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

    2. Remove these network components if they're present:

    IPX/SPX protocol
    NetBEUI protocol
    Client for NetWare networks

    Right-click and share any desired disks, folders, and printers.

    Since Win98 doesn't have a built-in firewall and I'm sure you are
    running a firewall (!), remember to configure it to allow the lan
    traffic as trusted here too.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Apr 26, 2006

  3. I have XP Home edition. Checked my firewalls and it doesn't seem they're
    blocking anything. Also tried your suggestions but my laptop still can't
    print to the printer on the XP machine and still can't see the network. I
    think this is something simple that I'm overlooking. I can't figure ou why my
    laptop doesn't see the network....once I figure that out I think it will work.
    --
    mar

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaW8=?=, Apr 26, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaW8=?=

    Malke Guest

    Mario wrote:

    > I have XP Home edition. Checked my firewalls and it doesn't seem
    > they're
    > blocking anything. Also tried your suggestions but my laptop still
    > can't
    > print to the printer on the XP machine and still can't see the
    > network. I think this is something simple that I'm overlooking. I
    > can't figure ou why my laptop doesn't see the network....once I figure
    > that out I think it will work.

    Does the Windows 98 machine have a user "profile" and password? If not,
    assign these. Don't use passwords that are longer than 8 characters on
    computers with a Win9x box on the network. Don't name the printer share
    anything longer than 8 characters. Don't use spaces in names or
    passwords. Make identical user accounts/passwords on both machines.

    Have you tried Mr. Michna's network troubleshooter? It really is quite
    useful. Here is the link again:
    http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke

    Malke, Apr 27, 2006