    number, year it was recorded, name of the track...mp3, all of which makes up for
    a file name I can't work with. Thanks for any ideas.
    , Nov 11, 2006

  2. Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:49:24 -0500, rfdjr1 Has Frothed:

    > I thought Windows XP could handle long file names, that is, in excess of eighty
    > characters. I use Windows XP Pro and whenever I try to change (usually shorten)
    > the name, or even delete a file of over eighty characters, either by
    > highlighting in Windows Explorer and clicking the big red X for delete, or
    > right-clicking on the file to choose delet or rename, Windows Explorer gives me
    > an error message which says Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and will
    > shut down, then closes. Any idea why this is? Seems to me I should be able to
    > work with these long files names. Most of them are usually .mp3 files which
    > after downloading have more information than I want, like artist, album, track
    > number, year it was recorded, name of the track...mp3, all of which makes up for
    > a file name I can't work with. Thanks for any ideas.

    Something wrong with your OS. I just renamed a file to over 100 characters
    and then deleted it.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Nov 11, 2006

  3. Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:
    wrote:

    > I thought Windows XP could handle long file names, that is, in excess
    > of eighty characters. I use Windows XP Pro and whenever I try to
    > change (usually shorten) the name, or even delete a file of over
    > eighty characters, either by highlighting in Windows Explorer and
    > clicking the big red X for delete, or right-clicking on the file to
    > choose delet or rename, Windows Explorer gives me an error message
    > which says Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and will shut
    > down, then closes. Any idea why this is?

    In XP, the length of the entire path including drive letter and all
    leading directory names is limited to 255 characters (I think).

    Of course explorer shouldn't blow up when it encounters a file like
    this, but that's another issue.

    The clumsy fix is to open a command window, CD to the directory where
    the files are and operate from the command line.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Nov 11, 2006
  4. Guest

    On 11 Nov 2006 21:58:48 GMT, Bert Hyman <> wrote:

    >In news:
    >wrote:
    >
    >> I thought Windows XP could handle long file names, that is, in excess
    >> of eighty characters. I use Windows XP Pro and whenever I try to
    >> change (usually shorten) the name, or even delete a file of over
    >> eighty characters, either by highlighting in Windows Explorer and
    >> clicking the big red X for delete, or right-clicking on the file to
    >> choose delet or rename, Windows Explorer gives me an error message
    >> which says Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and will shut
    >> down, then closes. Any idea why this is?

    >In XP, the length of the entire path including drive letter and all
    >leading directory names is limited to 255 characters (I think).
    >
    >Of course explorer shouldn't blow up when it encounters a file like
    >this, but that's another issue.
    >
    >The clumsy fix is to open a command window, CD to the directory where
    >the files are and operate from the command line.

    Thanks. I remember enough of my old DOS training to know how to do that, but it
    just seems to me that I should be able to do it in Windows Explorer.
    , Nov 11, 2006
  5. Guest

  6. old man Guest

    I have a similar problem, but it could'nt be done from command window either

    old man, Nov 11, 2006
  7. wrote:

    > I thought Windows XP could handle long file names, that is, in excess of
    > eighty characters. I use Windows XP Pro and whenever I try to change
    > (usually shorten) the name, or even delete a file of over eighty
    > characters, either by highlighting in Windows Explorer and clicking the
    > big red X for delete, or right-clicking on the file to choose delet or
    > rename, Windows Explorer gives me an error message which says Windows
    > Explorer has encountered a problem and will shut down, then closes. Any

    The limit would be 260 characters for the whole path (better use 255)
    including dots and backslashes. Now, there may be a situation with FAT(32)
    and long filenames, particularly in the root folder, when all of the 255
    directory entries are eaten up by long filenames. Therefore you should not
    have many files directly under the root folder, instead subdirectories.

    > idea why this is? Seems to me I should be able to work with these long
    > files names. Most of them are usually .mp3 files which after downloading
    > have more information than I want, like artist, album, track number, year
    > it was recorded, name of the track...mp3, all of which makes up for a file
    > name I can't work with. Thanks for any ideas.

    I can think of some explorer extension which you installed, and now causes
    the explorer crashes due to *any* reason, maybe because it cannot deal with
    longer filenames by itself.
    Does that happen in safe mode as well?
    Walter Mautner, Nov 12, 2006
  8. old man Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320081
    Resolution 4 worked for me

    old man, Nov 12, 2006
  9. Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 23:07:22 GMT, "old man" <> wrote:

    >I have a similar problem, but it could'nt be done from command window either

    Or by top posting

    >"Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > I thought Windows XP could handle long file names, that is, in excess
    >> > of eighty characters. I use Windows XP Pro and whenever I try to
    >> > change (usually shorten) the name, or even delete a file of over
    >> > eighty characters, either by highlighting in Windows Explorer and
    >> > clicking the big red X for delete, or right-clicking on the file to
    >> > choose delet or rename, Windows Explorer gives me an error message
    >> > which says Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and will shut
    >> > down, then closes. Any idea why this is?

    >> In XP, the length of the entire path including drive letter and all
    >> leading directory names is limited to 255 characters (I think).
    >>
    >> Of course explorer shouldn't blow up when it encounters a file like
    >> this, but that's another issue.
    >>
    >> The clumsy fix is to open a command window, CD to the directory where
    >> the files are and operate from the command line.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Barry
    =====