Windows XP Activation

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by JesseTX, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. JesseTX

    JesseTX Guest

    I just upgraded my system from Windows 98SE to Windows XP. I may have
    made a mistake however. I purchased Win XP at a garage sale. I was
    leary of doing so, as I know it can only be registered on one
    computer. But the lady who sold it to me assured me she was a
    Christian, and that the product was not installed on any other
    computers. According to her, the original computer that she and her
    husband had "went bad." Her husband bought a new computer, and she
    bought this copy of WinXP to install on it, not realizing the new
    computer came with WinXP already loaded. Since she had opened the
    WinXP package, the store wouldn't let her return it. Sounds kind of
    suspicous ey?

    So, I install it on my system, and when I try to activate it I get
    this message, "Unable to Activate Windows. Online activation cannot
    be completed at this time.........Message Number 32778". So my
    question is does anyone know if this is a standard message you would
    get if this copy has already been activated on another system? Or
    could this just mean there is some kind of temporary technical problem
    on the Microsoft end? I tried researching "Message Number 32778" on
    the Microsoft web site, and get no hits. I just want to know if I
    should revert back to Win98SE and chalk this up to experience, or keep
    trying to activate this copy.
    JesseTX, Nov 16, 2003

  2. JesseTX

    Chris Martin Guest

    "JesseTX" <> wrote in message
    > I just upgraded my system from Windows 98SE to Windows XP. I may have
    > made a mistake however. I purchased Win XP at a garage sale. I was
    > leary of doing so, as I know it can only be registered on one
    > computer. But the lady who sold it to me assured me she was a
    > Christian, and that the product was not installed on any other
    > computers. According to her, the original computer that she and her
    > husband had "went bad." Her husband bought a new computer, and she
    > bought this copy of WinXP to install on it, not realizing the new
    > computer came with WinXP already loaded. Since she had opened the
    > WinXP package, the store wouldn't let her return it. Sounds kind of
    > suspicous ey?
    >
    > So, I install it on my system, and when I try to activate it I get
    > this message, "Unable to Activate Windows. Online activation cannot
    > be completed at this time.........Message Number 32778". So my
    > question is does anyone know if this is a standard message you would
    > get if this copy has already been activated on another system? Or
    > could this just mean there is some kind of temporary technical problem
    > on the Microsoft end? I tried researching "Message Number 32778" on
    > the Microsoft web site, and get no hits. I just want to know if I
    > should revert back to Win98SE and chalk this up to experience, or keep
    > trying to activate this copy.

    Hi

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306153
    Try this link
    HTH
    Regards
    Chris
    Chris Martin, Nov 16, 2003

  3. JesseTX

    JesseTX Guest

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:50:23 -0000, "Chris Martin"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306153
    >Try this link
    >HTH
    >Regards
    >Chris

    Thanks Chris. I actually found that page while I was searching the
    Microsoft knowledge base. That is different than the problem I was
    having though. That page addresses error message 32777. I was
    getting error message 32778.

    I am happy to report that I resolved my problem. The cause was I had
    Internet Explorer set to use a proxy IP address. This prevented
    Microsoft from writing data to my computer, thus preventing
    activation. Once I took the proxy information out, I was able to
    activate XP right away.
    JesseTX, Nov 16, 2003
  4. JesseTX

    Bry Guest

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Message Number 32778&btnG=Google Search

    Bry, Nov 16, 2003
  5. JesseTX

    JesseTX Guest

    On 16 Nov 2003 07:28:14 -0800, (Bry) wrote:

    >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Message Number 32778&btnG=Google Search

    Thanks for your input. I tired that Google search last night.
    Everyone keeps referring to the Microsoft Knowledge Base article for
    Error Message 32777, which tells you to make sure your system clock
    and/or BIOS is properly set. However, the Error Message I got (just
    like the poster "msdos21" that comes up in the Google search) is
    32778. This was caused by having a proxy IP setup in Internet
    Explorer. I resolved my problem by temporarily turning off the proxy
    IP.

    Again, thanks for your input.
    JesseTX, Nov 16, 2003