Windows XP, 98 and 95 Networking.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Malcolm, Jan 23, 2004.

  1. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    The answer to the following question may well have been answered
    before, if so I appologise, I have only just discovered this Group.

    I have two Computers I use for Amateur Radio, one runs Win98 and the
    other runs Win95 (don't ask) and they communicate happily on my
    Network.

    I have recently purchased a Laptop that runs Windows XP and no matter
    what I try it will not communicate with the other 2 PC's. At times I
    can see the Win98 PC in the Network directory but whenever I try to
    access it (or a drive) it claims there is an access proplem and I may
    not have permission. It also claims the Network path was not found
    even though the PC appears in the Network directory. I have enabled
    sharing, paswords etc. on the Win98 and Win95 PC's and they work fine
    togther.

    My Laptop works OK at work and can access my Office Win98 PC, but this
    is done through the Company Network that uses a Server, perhaps this
    is providing a suitable interface between the 2 operating systems that
    isn't available on my home Network.

    Someone mentioned to me that they thought a number of things had to be
    changed on my XP machine to prevent it from implementing some of its
    Network checking procedures that are preventing it from successfully
    connecting with my Win98 PC.

    My Win95 PC never appears in the Network directory of the Laptop.

    Hoping someone can throw some light on my Newtorking problem.

    Thanking you in advance.

    Malcolm
    Malcolm, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Malcolm

    harry Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:19:41 +0000, Malcolm wrote:

    > The answer to the following question may well have been answered
    > before, if so I appologise, I have only just discovered this Group.
    >
    > I have two Computers I use for Amateur Radio, one runs Win98 and the
    > other runs Win95 (don't ask) and they communicate happily on my
    > Network.
    >
    > I have recently purchased a Laptop that runs Windows XP and no matter
    > what I try it will not communicate with the other 2 PC's. At times I
    > can see the Win98 PC in the Network directory but whenever I try to
    > access it (or a drive) it claims there is an access proplem and I may
    > not have permission. It also claims the Network path was not found
    > even though the PC appears in the Network directory. I have enabled
    > sharing, paswords etc. on the Win98 and Win95 PC's and they work fine
    > togther.
    >
    > My Laptop works OK at work and can access my Office Win98 PC, but this
    > is done through the Company Network that uses a Server, perhaps this
    > is providing a suitable interface between the 2 operating systems that
    > isn't available on my home Network.
    >
    > Someone mentioned to me that they thought a number of things had to be
    > changed on my XP machine to prevent it from implementing some of its
    > Network checking procedures that are preventing it from successfully
    > connecting with my Win98 PC.
    >
    > My Win95 PC never appears in the Network directory of the Laptop.
    >
    > Hoping someone can throw some light on my Newtorking problem.
    >
    > Thanking you in advance.
    >
    > Malcolm

    Make sure they all have the same workgroup name and you have client for
    windows networks running on both 9x boxes and file sharing ticked and
    something shared, and you are logging in with the same username and
    password on all three boxes Then run the network wizard on the XP box and
    tell it you are connecting to a home network without a domain.
    harry, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Malcolm

    ¢_£¥ºÑ Guest

    Also, try turn the firewall off on the XP machine.
    Doesn't it install by default ?
    ¢_£¥ºÑ, Jan 24, 2004
  4. Malcolm

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:19:41 +0000, Malcolm wrote:

    > My Laptop works OK at work and can access my Office Win98 PC, but this
    > is done through the Company Network that uses a Server, perhaps this
    > is providing a suitable interface between the 2 operating systems that
    > isn't available on my home Network.

    My money is here. Windows 9x is very hopeless at networking in my
    experience. Espically peer to peer.

    Gordon, Jan 24, 2004
  5. Malcolm

    collector@ Guest

    Malcolm wrote:

    > The answer to the following question may well have been answered
    > before, if so I appologise, I have only just discovered this Group.
    >
    > I have two Computers I use for Amateur Radio, one runs Win98 and the
    > other runs Win95 (don't ask) and they communicate happily on my
    > Network.
    >
    > I have recently purchased a Laptop that runs Windows XP and no matter
    > what I try it will not communicate with the other 2 PC's. At times I
    > can see the Win98 PC in the Network directory but whenever I try to
    > access it (or a drive) it claims there is an access proplem and I may
    > not have permission. It also claims the Network path was not found
    > even though the PC appears in the Network directory. I have enabled
    > sharing, paswords etc. on the Win98 and Win95 PC's and they work fine
    > togther.
    >
    > My Laptop works OK at work and can access my Office Win98 PC, but this
    > is done through the Company Network that uses a Server, perhaps this
    > is providing a suitable interface between the 2 operating systems that
    > isn't available on my home Network.
    >
    > Someone mentioned to me that they thought a number of things had to be
    > changed on my XP machine to prevent it from implementing some of its
    > Network checking procedures that are preventing it from successfully
    > connecting with my Win98 PC.
    >
    > My Win95 PC never appears in the Network directory of the Laptop.
    >
    > Hoping someone can throw some light on my Newtorking problem.
    >
    > Thanking you in advance.
    >
    > Malcolm

    95/98/XP There was a change in default workgroupm name in there
    somewhere. Check they all have the same Workgroup name either "workgroup
    or MSHOME".
    Enable the guest account on XP to allow it to be attached by the other
    machines > Right Click My Computer > Manage > Users and follow your nose.
    Assuming you are using TCP/IP make sure the 95 Machine actually has this
    installed and correctly set up for the netcard.
    collector@, Jan 24, 2004
  6. Malcolm

    ¢_£¥ºÑ Guest

    "Malcolm" wrote. . .
    > The answer to the following question may well have been answered
    > before, if so I appologise, I have only just discovered this Group.
    >
    > I have two Computers I use for Amateur Radio, one runs Win98 and the
    > other runs Win95 (don't ask) and they communicate happily on my
    > Network.
    >
    > I have recently purchased a Laptop that runs Windows XP and no matter
    > what I try it will not communicate with the other 2 PC's. At times I
    > can see the Win98 PC in the Network directory but whenever I try to
    > access it (or a drive) it claims there is an access proplem and I may
    > not have permission. It also claims the Network path was not found
    > even though the PC appears in the Network directory. I have enabled
    > sharing, paswords etc. on the Win98 and Win95 PC's and they work fine
    > togther.
    >
    > My Laptop works OK at work and can access my Office Win98 PC, but this
    > is done through the Company Network that uses a Server, perhaps this
    > is providing a suitable interface between the 2 operating systems that
    > isn't available on my home Network.
    >
    > Someone mentioned to me that they thought a number of things had to be
    > changed on my XP machine to prevent it from implementing some of its
    > Network checking procedures that are preventing it from successfully
    > connecting with my Win98 PC.
    >
    > My Win95 PC never appears in the Network directory of the Laptop.
    >
    > Hoping someone can throw some light on my Newtorking problem.
    >
    > Thanking you in advance.
    >
    > Malcolm

    Just wondering about the Network Setup Wizard on XP.
    When it's finished setting up, it creates a Setup Wizard for a floppy.
    Would 98 and 95 still be able to run that disk ?
    ¢_£¥ºÑ, Jan 24, 2004
  7. Malcolm

    RecyclerMan Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:19:41 +0000, Malcolm wrote:
    >

    >>My Laptop works OK at work and can access my Office Win98 PC, but this
    >>is done through the Company Network that uses a Server, perhaps this
    >>is providing a suitable interface between the 2 operating systems that
    >>isn't available on my home Network.

    > My money is here. Windows 9x is very hopeless at networking in my
    > experience. Espically peer to peer.

    I have had a fresh install of WinXP pro working with win 95b only to do
    some updates on XP for it to stop networking, the plot thickens when
    6monts down the track I power up the Win95b machine and all works Well.

    RecyclerMan, Jan 24, 2004
  8. Malcolm

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:19:41 GMT,
    (Malcolm) wrote:

    >The answer to the following question may well have been answered
    >before, if so I appologise, I have only just discovered this Group.
    >
    >I have two Computers I use for Amateur Radio, one runs Win98 and the
    >other runs Win95 (don't ask) and they communicate happily on my
    >Network.
    >
    >I have recently purchased a Laptop that runs Windows XP and no matter
    >what I try it will not communicate with the other 2 PC's. At times I
    >can see the Win98 PC in the Network directory but whenever I try to
    >access it (or a drive) it claims there is an access proplem and I may
    >not have permission. It also claims the Network path was not found
    >even though the PC appears in the Network directory. I have enabled
    >sharing, paswords etc. on the Win98 and Win95 PC's and they work fine
    >togther.
    >
    >My Laptop works OK at work and can access my Office Win98 PC, but this
    >is done through the Company Network that uses a Server, perhaps this
    >is providing a suitable interface between the 2 operating systems that
    >isn't available on my home Network.
    >
    >Someone mentioned to me that they thought a number of things had to be
    >changed on my XP machine to prevent it from implementing some of its
    >Network checking procedures that are preventing it from successfully
    >connecting with my Win98 PC.
    >
    >My Win95 PC never appears in the Network directory of the Laptop.
    >
    >Hoping someone can throw some light on my Newtorking problem.
    >
    >Thanking you in advance.
    >
    >Malcolm

    This is a very common problem which has never been acknowledged by MS
    as far as I'm aware. It seems to be a Netbios issue of some kind, you
    can ping the other machines but can't connect to them. It's a curious
    fault because it doesn't always happen, can hit it on one network &
    then plug an XP machine into the next network & it works as good as
    gold. I've had it with one XP machine & when I put another XP box on
    the same network that one worked fine. It also frequently fixes itself
    over time, quite strange.

    It's not just an issue of Win 9x and XP either, I've had problems
    getting older network hardware talking to XP.... print servers & the
    likes that support Netbios & UNC paths.

    If you've done everything right, and tried the usual fixes such as
    disabling the firewall & checking that netbios over TCP/IP is enabled,
    the quick & dirty way to get around it is to install Netbeui on all
    the machines. A web search on 'install netbeui windows xp' will find
    plenty of explanations on how to do that.

    Cheers

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Jan 24, 2004
  9. Malcolm

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:49:29 +0000, Gavin Tunney wrote:

    > This is a very common problem which has never been acknowledged by MS
    > as far as I'm aware. It seems to be a Netbios issue of some kind, you
    > can ping the other machines but can't connect to them. It's a curious
    > fault because it doesn't always happen, can hit it on one network &
    > then plug an XP machine into the next network & it works as good as
    > gold. I've had it with one XP machine & when I put another XP box on
    > the same network that one worked fine. It also frequently fixes itself
    > over time, quite strange.

    BINGO! I am so glad that someone else has this problem. Hang around long
    enough and it fixes itself.

    Gordon, Jan 25, 2004
  10. Malcolm

    Dany P. Wu Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:49:29 +0000, Gavin Tunney wrote:
    >
    >> This is a very common problem which has never been acknowledged by MS
    >> as far as I'm aware. It seems to be a Netbios issue of some kind, you
    >> can ping the other machines but can't connect to them. It's a curious
    >> fault because it doesn't always happen, can hit it on one network &
    >> then plug an XP machine into the next network & it works as good as
    >> gold. I've had it with one XP machine & when I put another XP box on
    >> the same network that one worked fine. It also frequently fixes
    >> itself over time, quite strange.

    > BINGO! I am so glad that someone else has this problem. Hang around
    > long enough and it fixes itself.

    Aye! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. Not overly comforting to know
    that it's so widespread yet no certain solution has been presented. Just
    discovered that at my current workplace they also have this problem. Their
    technician seem to think it may be something to do with the switches caching
    MAC addressess and sometimes getting confused. Sounds bloody weird and nutty
    to me. It doesn't seem to be a stable solution either.

    It doesn't generally "fix itself over time" though. More a matter of
    sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. A lot of the time I can click
    "repair" on the network connection and things work again. This is okay most
    of the time but craps out big time when the networking falls over while a
    program tries to access network drives.

    Very bizarre..................

    D.
    Dany P. Wu, Jan 25, 2004
  11. Malcolm

    RecyclerMan Guest

    Dany P. Wu wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:49:29 +0000, Gavin Tunney wrote:
    >>

    >>>This is a very common problem which has never been acknowledged by MS
    >>>as far as I'm aware. It seems to be a Netbios issue of some kind, you
    >>>can ping the other machines but can't connect to them. It's a curious
    >>>fault because it doesn't always happen, can hit it on one network &
    >>>then plug an XP machine into the next network & it works as good as
    >>>gold. I've had it with one XP machine & when I put another XP box on
    >>>the same network that one worked fine. It also frequently fixes
    >>>itself over time, quite strange.

    >>BINGO! I am so glad that someone else has this problem. Hang around
    >>long enough and it fixes itself.

    > Aye! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. Not overly comforting to know
    > that it's so widespread yet no certain solution has been presented. Just
    > discovered that at my current workplace they also have this problem. Their
    > technician seem to think it may be something to do with the switches caching
    > MAC addressess and sometimes getting confused. Sounds bloody weird and nutty
    > to me. It doesn't seem to be a stable solution either.
    >
    > It doesn't generally "fix itself over time" though. More a matter of
    > sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. A lot of the time I can click
    > "repair" on the network connection and things work again. This is okay most
    > of the time but craps out big time when the networking falls over while a
    > program tries to access network drives.
    >
    > Very bizarre..................
    >
    > D.

    Swiches, They are strange devices here I am using DHCP for most of the
    shitter machines from the change over from the hub any network card
    would get any address to the swich now the TCP-IP address stays with the
    network card or at the verry least the port on the swich, makes life a
    little easer.

    RecyclerMan, Jan 25, 2004
  12. Malcolm

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:49:29 +0000, Gavin Tunney wrote:
    >
    > > This is a very common problem which has never been acknowledged by MS
    > > as far as I'm aware. It seems to be a Netbios issue of some kind, you
    > > can ping the other machines but can't connect to them. It's a curious
    > > fault because it doesn't always happen, can hit it on one network &
    > > then plug an XP machine into the next network & it works as good as
    > > gold. I've had it with one XP machine & when I put another XP box on
    > > the same network that one worked fine. It also frequently fixes itself
    > > over time, quite strange.

    > BINGO! I am so glad that someone else has this problem. Hang around long
    > enough and it fixes itself.

    LOL

    It used to be when installing Plug n Play network cards in Win95
    machuines, after installing everything in sight and restarting the
    machine about 10 times, it would finally work.

    Right now I have here a network card that works some days and others not.

    Mainlander, Jan 25, 2004
  13. Malcolm

    pbs Guest

    Dany P. Wu wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:49:29 +0000, Gavin Tunney wrote:
    >>

    >>>This is a very common problem which has never been acknowledged by MS
    >>>as far as I'm aware. It seems to be a Netbios issue of some kind, you
    >>>can ping the other machines but can't connect to them. It's a curious

    Can you connect to them using telnet?

    >>>fault because it doesn't always happen, can hit it on one network &
    >>>then plug an XP machine into the next network & it works as good as
    >>>gold. I've had it with one XP machine & when I put another XP box on
    >>>the same network that one worked fine. It also frequently fixes
    >>>itself over time, quite strange.

    >>BINGO! I am so glad that someone else has this problem. Hang around
    >>long enough and it fixes itself.

    > Aye! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. Not overly comforting to know
    > that it's so widespread yet no certain solution has been presented. Just
    > discovered that at my current workplace they also have this problem. Their
    > technician seem to think it may be something to do with the switches caching
    > MAC addressess and sometimes getting confused. Sounds bloody weird and nutty
    > to me. It doesn't seem to be a stable solution either.

    When a machine A sends an arp packet:
    "arp who-has machine.A tell machine.A"
    Then MAC caching will only be a problem:
    (i) The IP mac address have changed recently most probably due to using
    DHCP, or less likely the ip address/name or network card has been
    changed manually.
    (ii) and/or the machines are on different network segments.

    Does this problem only occur if DHCP is in use and/or a caching
    router/switch is used?

    I think it is more likely to be in the (MS) network application layer
    were the problem resides. Either in the wins server or conflict/latency
    over which machine is the local/preferred master etc.

    http://www.j51.com/~sshay/tcpip/wins/wins.htm
    http://pub29.ezboard.com/fcyberwizardfrm5.showNextMessage?topicID=141.topic
    http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/1997-October/004729.html
    http://www.darkplaces.co.uk/webbase/os/windows/windows-nt/win-nt-index.htm
    http://www.darkplaces.co.uk/webbase/os/windows/windows-nt/win-nt-index.htm
    pbs, Jan 25, 2004
  14. Malcolm

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:19:41 GMT,
    (Malcolm) wrote:

    >The answer to the following question may well have been answered
    >before, if so I appologise, I have only just discovered this Group.
    >
    >I have two Computers I use for Amateur Radio, one runs Win98 and the
    >other runs Win95 (don't ask) and they communicate happily on my
    >Network.
    >
    >I have recently purchased a Laptop that runs Windows XP and no matter
    >what I try it will not communicate with the other 2 PC's. At times I
    >can see the Win98 PC in the Network directory but whenever I try to
    >access it (or a drive) it claims there is an access proplem and I may
    >not have permission. It also claims the Network path was not found
    >even though the PC appears in the Network directory. I have enabled
    >sharing, paswords etc. on the Win98 and Win95 PC's and they work fine
    >togther.
    >
    >My Laptop works OK at work and can access my Office Win98 PC, but this
    >is done through the Company Network that uses a Server, perhaps this
    >is providing a suitable interface between the 2 operating systems that
    >isn't available on my home Network.
    >
    >Someone mentioned to me that they thought a number of things had to be
    >changed on my XP machine to prevent it from implementing some of its
    >Network checking procedures that are preventing it from successfully
    >connecting with my Win98 PC.
    >
    >My Win95 PC never appears in the Network directory of the Laptop.
    >
    >Hoping someone can throw some light on my Newtorking problem.

    Just as a follow up to this. I hit this problem again the other day,
    and finally got around to trying to find what was causing it. In my
    instance it was the NIC in the machine. Thought about it for a while,
    and every machine I've had this problem with had a Realtek network
    card. It occured that I'd never hit this snag with laptops, and the
    brands of laptops I've put on networks always had 3com or Intel NICs
    in them. So I installed an Intel Pro100 NIC in the PC.. and away it
    went, problem solved.

    Whether it was adding a second NIC fixed it, or whether it was the
    Realtek causing the problem I don't know as yet, didn't have time to
    nail down exactly what was the cause, but those who get this problem
    may like to try another non-Realtek NIC & see if it makes any
    difference.

    Cheers

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Jan 29, 2004
  15. Malcolm

    EMB Guest

    "Gavin Tunney" <> wrote in message
    > Just as a follow up to this. I hit this problem again the other day,
    > and finally got around to trying to find what was causing it. In my
    > instance it was the NIC in the machine. Thought about it for a while,
    > and every machine I've had this problem with had a Realtek network
    > card. It occured that I'd never hit this snag with laptops, and the
    > brands of laptops I've put on networks always had 3com or Intel NICs
    > in them. So I installed an Intel Pro100 NIC in the PC.. and away it
    > went, problem solved.

    Sounds likely to me. I've never seen this problem despite supporting
    several mixed version networks, but all the machines have had 3Com or Inel
    NIC's too. Seems to support your theory

    EMB
    EMB, Jan 29, 2004
  16. In article <bvbt08$c02$>, says...

    > Sounds likely to me. I've never seen this problem despite supporting
    > several mixed version networks, but all the machines have had 3Com or Inel
    > NIC's too. Seems to support your theory
    >
    > EMB

    Sadly, not entirely. I have that kind of weirdness crop up with my 3com
    gear from time to time as well.

    The wonderful world of Microsoft Networking.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Jan 30, 2004
  17. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    Sorry about the delay in replying, many thanks to all of you who
    offered suggestions and advice about this problem. I am trying a
    number them now and hope to have the "Bill Gates Ware" beaten into
    submission soon.

    Malcolm
    Malcolm
    Wellington NZ