    that good..

    Thanks....

    Sam

    samoukos, Nov 13, 2007

  2. samoukos

    S.SubZero Guest

    XP64 will not make your games faster. A slow PC is a slow PC.

    S.SubZero, Nov 13, 2007

  3. XP x64 has noticably better Virtual Memory performance, and it may run heavy
    processes more easily. But - I agree, if it is slow it will probably not
    help that much.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 14, 2007
  4. samoukos

    samoukos Guest

    On 14 , 03:02, "Tony Sperling" <>
    wrote:
    > XP x64 has noticably better Virtual Memory performance, and it may run heavy
    > processes more easily. But - I agree, if it is slow it will probably not
    > help that much.
    >
    > Tony. . .

    Yea but my processor is 1.8Ghz each...the XP32 i think only uses the
    one processor...wont the XP64 use both properly and make them
    faster....i can see a big difference between the Ubuntu Linux 32bit
    and the Ubuntu Linux 64bit.....should do the same for windows shouldnt
    it????

    samoukos, Nov 14, 2007
  5. samoukos

    samoukos Guest

    samoukos, Nov 14, 2007
  6. Well, there are many misconceptions over CPU speed and 64bit dual-cores -
    what you have is exactly the same as if you had a multi processor board with
    two separate processors, but your processors are both crammed into one
    housing. They each run at their rated speed (1.8, in your case) but this
    doesn't mean you'll get 3.6Ghz if they run together sharing a process.

    This is all about work-load. If you compare with a single processor CPU
    running at 1.8, you will only see a performance benefit from a dual-core if
    the single is running at full load more than half the time. Have you ever
    had a game stop, or halt when some automatic update is kicking in? This
    won't be happening with a dual-core with sufficient memory!

    Same thing with the 64bit v. 32bit issue, this has nothing to do with
    processing speed. This is like a highway, if you want to go from point A to
    point B at a time when the highway is full, the journey will take a certain
    amount of time - extending the highway by doubling the number of lanes will
    allow you to travel the distance faster at that specific time. But if you
    make the comparison at a time when the highway is not filled up doubling the
    lanes will not have any impact at all on your traveling speed.

    Unless your applications are written and compiled to take advantage of
    multiple processors, they are passing on the task of scheduling to the OS.
    Primarily for caching reasons, the Windows Scheduler passes jobs on to one
    core untill it considers it may run a risk of having to reschedule the jobs
    (wich would be an obvious waste).

    XP x64 is not written on the XP code-base - it is written on the Server
    code-base and therefore have a few tricks up it's sleave that XP doesn't.
    When I try and figure how things are behaving here, I have a distinct
    feeling that the XP x64 system is running faster, but I cannot run any
    bechmark to prove the point. If there are any differences, they are small,
    what it does is that it maximizes the things that are already good - but
    this is precisely what a good product does - it makes you feel good about
    it.

    I am not familiar with the dv6000, I read a review that said it wasn't
    breaking any speed records but was good for the desktop, I don't know. For
    running games on a notebook, I probably wouldn't go to the expenses of
    having a 64bit OS. On the other hand, it really is good and I'm sure you
    will like it, if all your hardware has 64bit drivers available, (watch out
    for the HP specific keyboard shortcuts, touch-pad and buttons!) but I doubt
    it, that you'll think it paid off in the end? If you think the machine is
    slow now, you'll probably think it's a little less slow.

    One other point, most games does direct hardware programming, this requires
    them to make function calls that are behaving like a driver would and so,
    they have to be compiled for 64bit compatibility. Most games don't do this,
    yet. Make sure that the games you are using are compatible, or you'll be
    plenty sorry!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 14, 2007
  7. > One other point, most games does direct hardware programming, this
    > requires them to make function calls that are behaving like a driver would
    > and so, they have to be compiled for 64bit compatibility. Most games don't
    > do this, yet. Make sure that the games you are using are compatible, or
    > you'll be

    This is a little technically inaccurate. 32-bit applications can and should
    run just fine on X64 versions of Windows, but there are things they can do
    wrong that break on XP but might break on XP x64 or Windows Vista x64. The
    biggest problems have usally been around copy-protection technologies and
    very old installers that still have little 16-bit parts that are hold-overs
    from the days of Windows 3.1.

    One of the big pushes we have with the Games for Windows branding program is
    to make sure those games work just fine if not better on x64 versions of
    Windows, although we generally push Windows Vista x64 more than we do
    Windows XP x64 Edition because of the better driver support.

    In summary: most developers don't really have to do anything special work to
    support x64 other than write code using modern best practices, but if they
    don't even try to test it at all or if it's an old game that is not really
    supported anymore by the publisher, then Your Mileage May Vary.

    --
    Chuck Walbourn
    SDE, XNA Developer Connection

    Chuck Walbourn [MSFT], Nov 14, 2007
  8. Thanks, these are good points, and I did forget to emphasize the copy
    protection as the most likely component to make wrinkles. However (although
    not knowing), I have arrived at a private conclusion from pure observation
    that tells me that Microsoft games avoid (almost at any cost) to use any
    direct hardware programming tricks, since it is considered to be non
    conforming to good windows programming practice. Conversely, everybody else
    seem to do it all the time without even thinking about it and maybe they are
    short of people and resort to 'Drivers' Developers to do it, but I have had
    trouble with two games (the only ones I use, beyond Flight Simulator) they
    are Colin mcRae Rally 4 & 5 from Codemasters, that installed fine but
    wouldn't run initially, nr.5 later had an update, mostly consisting of a few
    DLL's, that made it run absolutely fine. Same thing with GTR of SimBin, in
    it's first version, after the update it ran fine - while GTR2 was completely
    compatible from out of the box. Needless to say, all the FS versions I've
    tried has been flying spotless all along. (FS2002 - FSX Demo)

    Clearly, the copy protection has to be an Achille's heel - but I don't
    believe it will be easy to have your code poke around inside the hardware
    components via the WoW subsystem.

    But I may be wrong

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 15, 2007
  9. These games are likely not doing 'direct hardware' access, but relying on
    specific driver behavior. Given that Windows XP x64 and Windows Vista x64
    drivers are entirely new drivers, they probably are lacking all the specific
    hacks the old XP 32 drivers had to make these games work.

    Certainly it goes back to a lack of testing and problems in the code that
    don't cause obvoius problems on XP32 that break on new versions of Windows.

    Chuck Walbourn [MSFT], Nov 15, 2007
  10. samoukos

    samoukos Guest

    On 15 ÍïÝ, 04:01, "Chuck Walbourn [MSFT]"
    <> wrote:
    > These games are likely not doing 'direct hardware' access, but relying on
    > specific driver behavior. Given that Windows XP x64 and Windows Vista x64
    > drivers are entirely new drivers, they probably are lacking all the specific
    > hacks the old XP 32 drivers had to make these games work.
    >
    > Certainly it goes back to a lack of testing and problems in the code that
    > don't cause obvoius problems on XP32 that break on new versions of Windows..
    >
    > --
    > Chuck Walbourn
    > SDE, XNA Developer Connection
    >
    > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights..

    Thanks for everyone spending their time for explaining me the pros and
    cons of the 64bit and the 32bit....you see i am from greece from a
    tiny village in the mid of nowever and news dont travel here so
    fast...the fasted internet connection we get is 4kbps....imagine the
    conditions....
    Thank you again for your time!!!!

    Sam

    samoukos, Nov 15, 2007