    FSB, 2 GB ram 667 Mhz fsb and Windows Vista 32 bit OS delivered. I want to
    change it to Windows XP 64 bit Professional. Will there be any compatibility
    issue. What steps i need to follow to update my laptop to XP 34 bit...

    Ashish Masade, Jul 9, 2008

  2. "Ashish Masade" <Ashish > wrote in message
    >I have a dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with core 2 duo, 2 GHZ processor 800
    >Mhz
    > FSB, 2 GB ram 667 Mhz fsb and Windows Vista 32 bit OS delivered. I want to
    > change it to Windows XP 64 bit Professional. Will there be any
    > compatibility
    > issue. What steps i need to follow to update my laptop to XP 34 bit...

    Yes, there does appear to be a compatibility issue.

    Not with the hardware itself, but you will have to obtain XP Pro x64 drivers
    for everything. Unlike Vista x64, the driver support on the XP x64 disc is
    very basic. Laptops are difficult when the manufacturer is not providing XP
    x64 drivers because of proprietary devices.

    The Dell driver download page at
    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1525&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en
    only shows drivers for Vista 32bit and XP for the 1525. There are no XP Pro
    x64 drivers listed. XP x86 drivers are not going to work. How have you
    planned for dealing with this lack of 64bit drivers?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 9, 2008

  3. You will need to find all the hardware drivers needed by
    Windows x64. And, since Dell doesn't offer them outright on
    their download site, you will have to do the research
    yourself to see if you can find all the drivers needed.
    Keep in mind that you might not find them all.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 9, 2008
  4. Thanks,
    Can you give me some idea where can I gat drivers for Windows XP 64 bit
    edition Professional. For my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop

    Ashish Masade, Jul 17, 2008
  5. Thanks,

    Ashish Masade, Jul 17, 2008
  6. "Ashish Masade" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks,
    > Can you give me some idea where can I gat drivers for Windows XP 64 bit
    > edition Professional. For my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> "Ashish Masade" <Ashish > wrote in
    >> message
    >> >I have a dell Inspiron 1525 laptop with core 2 duo, 2 GHZ processor 800
    >> >Mhz
    >> > FSB, 2 GB ram 667 Mhz fsb and Windows Vista 32 bit OS delivered. I want
    >> > change it to Windows XP 64 bit Professional. Will there be any
    >> > compatibility
    >> > issue. What steps i need to follow to update my laptop to XP 34 bit...

    >> Yes, there does appear to be a compatibility issue.
    >>
    >> Not with the hardware itself, but you will have to obtain XP Pro x64
    >> drivers
    >> for everything. Unlike Vista x64, the driver support on the XP x64 disc
    >> is
    >> very basic. Laptops are difficult when the manufacturer is not providing
    >> XP
    >> x64 drivers because of proprietary devices.
    >>
    >> The Dell driver download page at
    >> http://support.dell.com/support/dow...SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_1525&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en
    >> only shows drivers for Vista 32bit and XP for the 1525. There are no XP
    >> Pro
    >> x64 drivers listed. XP x86 drivers are not going to work. How have you
    >> planned for dealing with this lack of 64bit drivers?

    Only from Dell. The manufacturer has to provide the drivers for the
    computer he sells you. If Dell isn't providing drivers for XP Pro x64 for
    your comptuer then you are stuck.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 17, 2008
  7. All consumer targeted motherboards are essentially using parts from the same
    pool of electronic equipment that is built for the PC. Each model uses a
    different mix of components. The trouble is to find out who originally
    manufactured every single bit of hardware in that machine and search out
    other boards that are using the exact same hardware and for which such
    drivers has been released in 64bit editions. So, it is not inconceiveable
    that drivers exist, but it is likely that after weeks or months of hard
    investigation you will find your drivers for all the parts except one, or
    two, and you'll still be stuck. The best advice is to forget the project, or
    buy a machine that is sold with a 64bit OS installed and make sure that
    drivers exist for XP x64. Vista drivers will not guarante that everything
    will work with XP.

    There is no way around - we are all under the same limitations - if the
    people who build your machine isn't making the drivers, nobody else can be
    expected to have done it.

    Tony. . .

    The

    Tony Sperling, Jul 21, 2008