    Justin Guest

    I have Windows XP 64, and I was hoping to get exFAT support.
    Something tells me I'm SOL.

    Justin, Jun 22, 2009

  2. Justin

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Tom Ferguson, Jun 22, 2009

  3. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Justin, Jun 22, 2009
  4. Nope, that's 32-bit XP only. And I see NO listing of support for XP x64 or
    Windows Server 2003 (which is the code base for XP x64). So I think you're
    out of luck.

    But honestly, there's not much loss here. FAT in all it's forms has had its
    day, and you should just use NTFS.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 22, 2009
  5. Justin

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    I did extensive searching for any reference to 64 bit systems in connection
    to this file system. I found nothing that gives information or any type of
    guidance one way or the other. Alas, that seems a too-frequent occurrence
    with information about both XP and Vista, 32 vs. 64 bit. Sorry.

    Tom Ferguson

    Tom Ferguson, Jun 22, 2009
  6. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > Nope, that's 32-bit XP only. And I see NO listing of support for XP x64
    > or Windows Server 2003 (which is the code base for XP x64). So I think
    > you're out of luck.
    >
    > But honestly, there's not much loss here. FAT in all it's forms has had
    > its day, and you should just use NTFS.

    that's what I figured. I usually use NTFS when I need it. However
    sometimes I have cross platform needs; luckily there is a decent enough
    solution for NTFS on x11.

    Justin, Jun 22, 2009
  7. ExFAT definitely would not be useful for cross platform use at this
    time. Currently ExFAT is a Microsoft unique implementation. If you
    can't use it in Win x64, then how would you use it with non-Microsoft
    environments?

    Bobby Johnson, Jun 22, 2009
  8. Justin

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <> "Charlie Russel -
    MVP" <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >Nope, that's 32-bit XP only. And I see NO listing of support for XP x64 or
    >Windows Server 2003 (which is the code base for XP x64). So I think you're
    >out of luck.
    >
    >But honestly, there's not much loss here. FAT in all it's forms has had its
    >day, and you should just use NTFS.

    In general, I'd agree, but exFAT is an exception in that it's designed
    in a fairly modern world for cases where NTFS is overkill, but older FAT
    formats are insufficient.

    That being said, it's usefulness will only come if it gains
    cross-platform support.

    Dave Warren, Jun 22, 2009
  9. Justin

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    There is a 'trial' or 'experimental' module available for the Linux kernel
    for reading exFat.

    Tom Ferguson, Jun 22, 2009
  10. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Dave Warren wrote:
    > In message <> "Charlie Russel -
    > MVP" <> was claimed to have wrote:
    >
    >> Nope, that's 32-bit XP only. And I see NO listing of support for XP x64 or
    >> Windows Server 2003 (which is the code base for XP x64). So I think you're
    >> out of luck.
    >>
    >> But honestly, there's not much loss here. FAT in all it's forms has had its
    >> day, and you should just use NTFS.

    > In general, I'd agree, but exFAT is an exception in that it's designed
    > in a fairly modern world for cases where NTFS is overkill, but older FAT
    > formats are insufficient.
    >
    > That being said, it's usefulness will only come if it gains
    > cross-platform support.

    One reason I wanted it is in case I run into a client who has a keyfob
    formatted to it.
    Sometiems with NTFS I forget to set the security to everyone; and I get
    to a client's machine and it won't give me access to the files.
    But for now I have the ability to R&W NTFS on every platform so that
    solution is perfect. Once exFAT has some more compatibility I'll use
    that when needed.

    Justin, Jun 22, 2009

    richard brown, Jun 23, 2009
  12. Justin

    noel-man3k

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    well folks, Microsoft finally released the KB955704 ExFAT update for Windows XP 64bit edition & for Windows Server 2003 in late August 2009, roughly 7 months after releasing the KB955704 exfat update for 32bit versions of XP. search for KB955704 at the Microsoft Download center and you will find five versions of the KB955704 exFAT update.

    better late than never I guess.

    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
    noel-man3k, Sep 14, 2009