Windows XP 64 and 32 networking

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?RGVubmlz?=, Aug 30, 2006.

  1. I have been using Windows XP pro for a few years. Always able to get the
    computers networked together.
    I recently got a new computer. MSI 7125 board with AMD Athalon 64 bit
    3500+. Then I installed Windows x64 on it and coulden't get it networked
    with the other Windows XP systems (32 bit).
    Initially I did install the 32 bit windows on the new computer (As I was
    waiting for the Windows x64 disc to arrive) and it worked fine.

    Networking:
    Westell B90-210015-04 DSL Modem (internet source) plugged into 64 bit
    computer via RJ45 cable (No 64 bit USB drivers from Westell so had to use the
    other connection). No problem so far. Internet works. Internet sharing on.
    Second RJ45 jack from 64 bit computer to a Linksys 5-port hub.
    And Hub connecting to other computers.

    When I had the 32 bit Windows XP installed on the 64 bit computer, it
    networked fine. Internet and file sharing. Then I recieved then installed
    the Windows X64.

    Thanks in advance for the help!!
     
    =?Utf-8?B?RGVubmlz?=, Aug 30, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Nvidia chipset. Known problem:
    Unfortunately, the built in nVidia firewall product appears to install at
    least some portion of itself even if you've never chosen to install it. And
    this appears to interfere with 32-bit programs. The solution is to install
    the firewall program if it isn't already installed, and then uninstall it.


    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64


    Dennis wrote:
    > I have been using Windows XP pro for a few years. Always able to get the
    > computers networked together.
    > I recently got a new computer. MSI 7125 board with AMD Athalon 64 bit
    > 3500+. Then I installed Windows x64 on it and coulden't get it networked
    > with the other Windows XP systems (32 bit).
    > Initially I did install the 32 bit windows on the new computer (As I was
    > waiting for the Windows x64 disc to arrive) and it worked fine.
    >
    > Networking:
    > Westell B90-210015-04 DSL Modem (internet source) plugged into 64 bit
    > computer via RJ45 cable (No 64 bit USB drivers from Westell so had to use
    > the other connection). No problem so far. Internet works. Internet
    > sharing on. Second RJ45 jack from 64 bit computer to a Linksys 5-port hub.
    > And Hub connecting to other computers.
    >
    > When I had the 32 bit Windows XP installed on the 64 bit computer, it
    > networked fine. Internet and file sharing. Then I recieved then
    > installed the Windows X64.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help!!
     
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 30, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. =?Utf-8?B?RGVubmlz?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:03:01 -0700, Dennis
    <> wrote:

    Did you install the Nvidia firewall?
    If so, uninstall it. If you can't seem
    to uninstall it, install it again, and
    then uninstall it (the installer is
    a bit dodgy, hence this weird routine)

    jud
     
    Jud Hendrix, Aug 30, 2006
    #3
  4. Thank you Charlie and Jud!

    I didn't even think to try switching the network cable positions on the
    motherboard to figure out the NVIDIA network didn't work. Knowing that, and
    learning about the NVIDIA firewall I didn't install until now, both network
    adapters work!
    Is the NVIDIA firewall worth keeping or is it better to uninstall it?

    I had a Norton client firewall program that I now can't use on x64
    systems...but I was thinking in the future of setting up one of my older
    computers as the firewall computer. That might be a topic for another place
    though.

    Still, advice would help.

    Thank you again!



    "Jud Hendrix" wrote:

    > On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:03:01 -0700, Dennis
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > Did you install the Nvidia firewall?
    > If so, uninstall it. If you can't seem
    > to uninstall it, install it again, and
    > then uninstall it (the installer is
    > a bit dodgy, hence this weird routine)
    >
    > jud
    >
     
    =?Utf-8?B?RGVubmlz?=, Aug 30, 2006
    #4
  5. The built in Windows Firewall is quite good, actually. I see no reason for
    using anything else in most environments. As for the Nvidia POS? Well,
    they've had this problem since x64 shipped a year and a half ago, and they
    can't even be bothered to put up an FAQ on their site. Much less correct the
    problem. Make your own decision.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64


    Dennis wrote:
    > Thank you Charlie and Jud!
    >
    > I didn't even think to try switching the network cable positions on the
    > motherboard to figure out the NVIDIA network didn't work. Knowing that,
    > and learning about the NVIDIA firewall I didn't install until now, both
    > network adapters work!
    > Is the NVIDIA firewall worth keeping or is it better to uninstall it?
    >
    > I had a Norton client firewall program that I now can't use on x64
    > systems...but I was thinking in the future of setting up one of my older
    > computers as the firewall computer. That might be a topic for another
    > place though.
    >
    > Still, advice would help.
    >
    > Thank you again!
    >
    >
    >
    > "Jud Hendrix" wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:03:01 -0700, Dennis
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Did you install the Nvidia firewall?
    >> If so, uninstall it. If you can't seem
    >> to uninstall it, install it again, and
    >> then uninstall it (the installer is
    >> a bit dodgy, hence this weird routine)
    >>
    >> jud
     
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 30, 2006
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Eddy Malik [MSFT]
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    845
    Eddy Malik [MSFT]
    Mar 22, 2005
  2. =?Utf-8?B?QUJTUE9QVVA=?=

    PROBLEMS WITH NETWORKING - NEW TO NETWORKING

    =?Utf-8?B?QUJTUE9QVVA=?=, Mar 22, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    628
    =?Utf-8?B?QUJTUE9QVVA=?=
    Mar 23, 2005
  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaW8=?=

    Windows XP and Windows 98SE Networking

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaW8=?=, Apr 26, 2006, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    3,474
    Malke
    Apr 27, 2006
  4. barry crowley
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    1,278
  5. Travis

    networking windows 3 and windows xp

    Travis, Nov 5, 2005, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    290
    Kyebosh
    Nov 14, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page