Windows x64 to Vista Ultimate 64 Upgrade According to Microsoft 1/24/07

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jim, Jan 24, 2007.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Dear Fellow x64 Users:

    I *finally* telephoned Microsoft today regarding the upgrade to Vista
    Ultimate 64 from x64. As we all already knew (a) x64 *is* eligible for
    the upgrade pricing on Vista Ultimate x-64 *and* (b) Vista Ultimate
    x-64 *must* be installed *clean* on an x64 machine. Where the
    Microsoft representative was unclear was exactly *how* the upgrade DVD
    *knows* you have a license for x64, but he assurred me that you do
    *not* have to buy the full version, *despite* the fact that you will be
    installing the Vista Ultimate x64 on a *clean* machine. He said that
    you have to *remove* all of the x64 install *before* Vista will
    install, i.e., a *totally clean* install.

    I'm not sure I believe him; but this does give us a starting point.
    Evidently we x64 users are in a somewhat *special* category (correct me
    if I am wrong here) where the *upgrade* DVD will install to a clean
    machine. This makes *no* sense to me, but that is what Microsoft said
    to me.

    Please correct me--and Microsoft--if you know more about this than I
    do. I can not *imagine* what I was told is correct.

    Jim

    Jim, Jan 24, 2007

  2. Jim

    McG. Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > Dear Fellow x64 Users:
    >
    > I *finally* telephoned Microsoft today regarding the upgrade to Vista
    > Ultimate 64 from x64. As we all already knew (a) x64 *is* eligible
    > for
    > the upgrade pricing on Vista Ultimate x-64 *and* (b) Vista Ultimate
    > x-64 *must* be installed *clean* on an x64 machine. Where the
    > Microsoft representative was unclear was exactly *how* the upgrade DVD
    > *knows* you have a license for x64, but he assurred me that you do
    > *not* have to buy the full version, *despite* the fact that you will
    > be
    > installing the Vista Ultimate x64 on a *clean* machine. He said that
    > you have to *remove* all of the x64 install *before* Vista will
    > install, i.e., a *totally clean* install.
    >
    > I'm not sure I believe him; but this does give us a starting point.
    > Evidently we x64 users are in a somewhat *special* category (correct
    > me
    > if I am wrong here) where the *upgrade* DVD will install to a clean
    > machine. This makes *no* sense to me, but that is what Microsoft said
    > to me.
    >
    > Please correct me--and Microsoft--if you know more about this than I
    > do. I can not *imagine* what I was told is correct.
    >
    > Jim

    Then it will likely ask for the OEM x64 disk. As I understand it, that
    is the only legal version of XP Pro 64 bit Edition now.
    McG.

    McG., Jan 24, 2007

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Jan 24, 3:18 pm, "McG." <> wrote:

    > JimThen it will likely ask for the OEM x64 disk. As I understand it, that
    > is the only legal version of XP Pro 64 bit Edition now.
    > McG.

    I asked *exactly* that--which is what Adobe does--but he indicated that
    it would not need a disk, which is why it makes no sense to me? He
    said it had to be a "totally clean" install.

    Somebody must know the answer to this. After all, the product will be
    on the shelves in less than one week!

    Jim

    Jim, Jan 24, 2007
  4. Jim

    McG. Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > On Jan 24, 3:18 pm, "McG." <> wrote:
    >
    >> JimThen it will likely ask for the OEM x64 disk. As I understand it,
    >> that
    >> is the only legal version of XP Pro 64 bit Edition now.
    >> McG.

    > I asked *exactly* that--which is what Adobe does--but he indicated
    > that
    > it would not need a disk, which is why it makes no sense to me? He
    > said it had to be a "totally clean" install.
    >
    > Somebody must know the answer to this. After all, the product will be
    > on the shelves in less than one week!
    >
    > Jim

    Jim, I can do a full clean install on a freshly formatted hd of w98SE
    with an upgrade version cd, and it will simply ask me for the
    'qualifying product disk'. Same for XP Home and XP Pro. So the Windows
    Vista x64 will simply install with a format to the hd first. You would
    of course lose everything on the hd. But Vista 64 would know you had
    the OS installed, format the drive, then place flag info? Then proceed
    with the install.
    However, being as we haven't seen it yet, we won't really know until
    someone tries it.
    How much is this 'Vista 64 Ultimate' upgrade anyway?
    McG.

    McG., Jan 24, 2007
  5. Jim

    McG. Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > On Jan 24, 3:18 pm, "McG." <> wrote:
    >
    >> JimThen it will likely ask for the OEM x64 disk. As I understand it,
    >> that
    >> is the only legal version of XP Pro 64 bit Edition now.
    >> McG.

    > I asked *exactly* that--which is what Adobe does--but he indicated
    > that
    > it would not need a disk, which is why it makes no sense to me? He
    > said it had to be a "totally clean" install.
    >
    > Somebody must know the answer to this. After all, the product will be
    > on the shelves in less than one week!
    >
    > Jim

    Where can I read the upgrade policy for x64 to Vista Ultimate 64?
    McG.

    McG., Jan 24, 2007
  6. Jim

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    There's some other stuff besides OEM around. I have an academic version,
    licensed for use on one personal PC of my choice as long as I remain at this
    university. :p
    The disc is labeled something like "Academic / Work At Home Media."

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jan 25, 2007
  7. Jim

    McG. Guest

    "DP" <> wrote in message

    > "McG." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> How much is this 'Vista 64 Ultimate' upgrade anyway?
    >> McG.

    > At Amazon, it's about $250.
    > http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win...s_sr_1/103-1154756-9807004?ie=UTF8&s=software
    >
    > I'm guessing that due to MS's control on pricing, you won't find much
    > difference store to store.

    Hm. And the difference in that price and the full retail was the price
    I paid for the OEM version. Cool :)
    McG.

    McG., Jan 25, 2007
  8. Jim

    DP Guest

    DP, Jan 25, 2007
  9. Jim

    DP Guest

    "McG." <> wrote in message

    > Where can I read the upgrade policy for x64 to Vista Ultimate 64?
    > McG.

    Basically, the upgrade policy is this -- "If you are currently using Windows
    2000 Professional or Windows XP Professional x64, you are eligible for an
    upgrade copy to a corresponding or better edition of Windows Vista, but a
    clean install is required." -- as expressed here
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeinfo.mspx in the notes
    under the chart with the yellow and green dots.

    If there has been any other expression of the policy by MS, no one has
    pointed me to it.

    Not much, is it? Which is why it has prompted so much discussion on this NG.
    Not a very clear, detailed or helpful explanation of what our rights are and
    how we go about exercising them.

    DP, Jan 25, 2007
  10. Jim

    McG. Guest

    "DP" <> wrote in message

    > "McG." <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Where can I read the upgrade policy for x64 to Vista Ultimate 64?
    >> McG.

    > Basically, the upgrade policy is this -- "If you are currently using
    > Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP Professional x64, you are
    > eligible for an upgrade copy to a corresponding or better edition of
    > Windows Vista, but a clean install is required." -- as expressed here
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeinfo.mspx in the
    > notes under the chart with the yellow and green dots.
    >
    > If there has been any other expression of the policy by MS, no one has
    > pointed me to it.
    >
    > Not much, is it? Which is why it has prompted so much discussion on
    > this NG. Not a very clear, detailed or helpful explanation of what our
    > rights are and how we go about exercising them.

    There is enough info to show us that if someone is running W2K or XP Pro
    x64, then a Clean Install is required for ANY version of Vista. Also,
    the Vista installation can be to a seperate partition or hard drive.
    This should add it to a multiboot menu. Also, the simple fact of
    running x64 or W2K allows upgrade pricing of Vista Ultimate. SRP is
    $259. Hm. Sounds good to me!
    And for 'Premium Ready' my 64 bit system qualifies easily. Only one
    question mark comes up.
    What's a WDDM driver for the DX9 graphics card?
    I'm currently using a pair of 7800GTX 256 meg cards (SLI) with nVidia
    WHQL set 93.71, would the 'WDDM' thing be included in that? The one
    thing that I've missed is not getting to play with my VIVO in x64. No
    64 bit WDM driver for VIVO. Would this be what they're speaking to?
    McG.

    McG., Jan 25, 2007
  11. Jim

    DP Guest

    "McG." <> wrote in message

    Also,
    > the Vista installation can be to a seperate partition or hard drive. This
    > should add it to a multiboot menu. Also, the simple fact of running x64
    > or W2K allows upgrade pricing of Vista Ultimate.

    Keep in mind, though, that by taking advantage of the upgrade pricing you
    are transferring the x64 or W2k license to Vista.
    In other words, you can't legally dualboot into x64 and Vista (or into W2k
    and Vista) unless you own separate licenses for both OSes.

    DP, Jan 25, 2007
  12. Jim

    McG. Guest

    "DP" <> wrote in message

    > "McG." <> wrote in message
    >>

    > Also,
    >> the Vista installation can be to a seperate partition or hard drive.
    >> This should add it to a multiboot menu. Also, the simple fact of
    >> running x64 or W2K allows upgrade pricing of Vista Ultimate.

    > Keep in mind, though, that by taking advantage of the upgrade pricing
    > you are transferring the x64 or W2k license to Vista.
    > In other words, you can't legally dualboot into x64 and Vista (or into
    > W2k and Vista) unless you own separate licenses for both OSes.

    Does XP Pro SP2 (32 bit) full retail qualify for Vista Ultimate upgrade
    pricing? I have two boxed retail XP Pro full and one XP Pro 64 bit
    edition OEM. One of those XP Pro's isn't being used at this time.
    I'll have to re-read the EULA again to be sure of what MS says about the
    issue of upgrade paths and use of the path version. I haven't bought an
    upgrade version in many years.
    McG.

    McG., Jan 25, 2007
  13. Jim

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    > What's a WDDM driver for the DX9 graphics card?
    > I'm currently using a pair of 7800GTX 256 meg cards (SLI) with nVidia WHQL
    > set 93.71, would the 'WDDM' thing be included in that? The one thing
    > that I've missed is not getting to play with my VIVO in x64. No 64 bit
    > WDM driver for VIVO. Would this be what they're speaking to?
    > McG.

    WDDM won't be in those drivers, but all you have to do is go to
    www.nvidia.com and download the Vista drivers.

    That being said, I know there were problems with SLI being supported in
    Vista and I haven't heard if they've been resolved yet.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Jan 25, 2007
  14. Hi, McG.

    > What's a WDDM driver for the DX9 graphics card?
    > I'm currently using a pair of 7800GTX 256 meg cards (SLI) with nVidia WHQL
    > set 93.71, would the 'WDDM' thing be included in that?

    I'm no expert on this graphics stuff, but WDDM is Windows Display Driver
    Module - or something like that - renamed from LDDM (Longhorn...) after
    Longhorn became Vista in the Summer of 2005.

    Also, I've never used an nVidia graphics card, but all my recent (since late
    '05) ATI drivers have worked with Vista. And I've stopped downloading
    drivers from ATI because the ones built into Vista (late betas and RTM, both
    x86 and x64) work fine with my former ATI AIW-9600 (AGP) and my current ATI
    X1600 Pro (PCI-e) cards.

    EXCEPT that I never was able to watch TV on my computer with the
    All-In-Wonder tuner except on 32-bit Windows. It worked on Win9x and up
    through WinXP Pro SP2 (x86), but I never could get it to work on WinXP x64,
    Vista x86 or Vista x64. So my new PCI-e card has no tuner and I'm looking
    for a tuner card that will work with Vista's MCE and let me watch TV on my
    computer again.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Mail 7.0 in Vista Ultimate x64)

    "McG." <> wrote in message

    > "DP" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "McG." <> wrote in message

    <SNIP>

    R. C. White, MVP, Jan 25, 2007
  15. Jim

    McG. Guest

    "Aaron Kelley" <> wrote in message
    > "McG." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> What's a WDDM driver for the DX9 graphics card?
    >> I'm currently using a pair of 7800GTX 256 meg cards (SLI) with nVidia
    >> WHQL set 93.71, would the 'WDDM' thing be included in that? The
    >> one thing that I've missed is not getting to play with my VIVO in
    >> x64. No 64 bit WDM driver for VIVO. Would this be what they're
    >> speaking to?
    >> McG.

    > WDDM won't be in those drivers, but all you have to do is go to
    > www.nvidia.com and download the Vista drivers.
    >
    > That being said, I know there were problems with SLI being supported
    > in Vista and I haven't heard if they've been resolved yet.
    >
    > - Aaron

    Thanks Aaron. I only go into SLI for specific games these days, and not
    that often. I keep both cards in to run 3 LCD monitors. I'll check out
    the stuff at nVidia for Vista.
    McG.

    McG., Jan 25, 2007
  16. Jim

    McG. Guest

    "R. C. White, MVP" <> wrote in message
    > "McG." <> wrote in message
    >>

    > Hi, McG.
    >
    >> What's a WDDM driver for the DX9 graphics card?
    >> I'm currently using a pair of 7800GTX 256 meg cards (SLI) with nVidia
    >> WHQL set 93.71, would the 'WDDM' thing be included in that?

    > I'm no expert on this graphics stuff, but WDDM is Windows Display
    > Driver Module - or something like that - renamed from LDDM
    > (Longhorn...) after Longhorn became Vista in the Summer of 2005.
    >
    > Also, I've never used an nVidia graphics card, but all my recent
    > (since late '05) ATI drivers have worked with Vista. And I've stopped
    > downloading drivers from ATI because the ones built into Vista (late
    > betas and RTM, both x86 and x64) work fine with my former ATI AIW-9600
    > (AGP) and my current ATI X1600 Pro (PCI-e) cards.
    >
    > EXCEPT that I never was able to watch TV on my computer with the
    > All-In-Wonder tuner except on 32-bit Windows. It worked on Win9x and
    > up through WinXP Pro SP2 (x86), but I never could get it to work on
    > WinXP x64, Vista x86 or Vista x64. So my new PCI-e card has no tuner
    > and I'm looking for a tuner card that will work with Vista's MCE and
    > let me watch TV on my computer again.
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    >
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    > (Running Windows Mail 7.0 in Vista Ultimate x64)

    snip

    Thanks! I've got a bit of reading to do. And a few things to scrounge
    around for. I have a Hauppauge WinTV (PCI) card, a few years old now.
    Wouldn't work in x64 either. They didn't have 64 bit drivers last I
    looked.
    McG.

    McG., Jan 25, 2007
  17. No it won't.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 25, 2007
  18. Let's call a clean install of Vista x64 over XP Pro x64 what it really is.
    A migration. The process is simple and you have two choices.

    1. With x64 dvd's you can install from a Vista upgrade edition by booting
    with the dvd. You are not required to run from the desktop like you are
    with x86 dvd's. After you enter the upgrade edition product key, Setup will
    search your computer for a qualifying edition of Windows. It will find your
    XP Pro x64 and proceed. The upgrade option in Setup will be disabled so you
    must do a custom installation. Since the verification step has been done,
    you should be able to format the system volume before installing Vista if
    you wish.

    2. Since Vista x64 Setup can run from an XP Pro x64 desktop you also have
    the option of starting the system and inserting the dvd at the desktop and
    installing Vista that way. Again, the upgrade option will be disabled and
    you must do a custom installation. However, since you are running the XP
    Pro x64 system you will not be able to format the system volume. Setup
    will rollup everything on the drive to a window.old folder which you can
    delete at your leisure.

    Be sure to run the Vista Windows Easy Transfer wizard in XP Pro x64 to
    capture your files and settings so that you can restore them after Vista is
    installed. You will have to reinstall your apps.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 25, 2007
  19. What has that got to do with Vista? Vista Setup does not ask for shiny
    media when verifying eligibilty to use an upgrade edition. A qualifying OS
    must be installed on the computer.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 25, 2007
  20. Who says that an upgrade edition will permit you to install to a different
    partition than the OS you are using to qualify for the upgrade pricing?
    Vista Setup does NOT work like XP and earlier. How do you know whether or
    not any target volume other than the system volume will even be presented by
    Setup as an option? You are giving answers here on the assumption that
    Vista upgrade editions work just like XP and in fact they do not work at all
    like XP.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 25, 2007