    Files: Windows Executive" that says that a file named something like
    \AMD64\ntkrnl**.exe cannot be loaded, and Setup must quit. Never gave me
    this problem before. What the heck is going on?

    Robert Jolls, Apr 1, 2006

  2. Could be lots of things, but given your symptoms before hand, I'd look at a
    hardware problem. Most likely a failing hard disk or bad RAM.

    Start by disabling any over clocking, and reseating all the cables and
    connections and RAM on your machine. Then run a good RAM test utility. For
    more on possible testers and solutions, see my blog:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/09/01/64999.aspx

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 1, 2006

  3. Robert Jolls

    Jane Colman Guest

    I have seen this kind of problem with bad RAM before.

    --
    Jane, but not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation.

    Jane Colman, Apr 1, 2006
  4. Yup. The single biggest cause I've seen so far. But a failing HD is also a
    possibility. IAC, the current one is badly corrupted at best.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 1, 2006
  5. Yes - me too. Although, if that machine has more than 3 - 6 month's of
    'mileage', I favor the re-seating of everything since that is the cheapest
    way to find/locate the culprit and at best rectify it, all in the process.
    Get it on to a well lit table with lots of room and disconnect/re-connect
    everything inside in sequence - save, perhaps the processor itself. If that
    doesn't help, a quick calculation on the age of that machine, or any single
    device could reveal if a new machine/device possibly wouldn't pay for itself
    in a short time, in terms of stability and worryless operation.

    Just recently, I had my fingers inside mine for a quick and dirty
    adjustment. Four days later the RAID was reported lost on boot. The recipy,
    as stated above, revealed one SATA data cable loose. Still hanging-on, but
    loose. Light pressure with that finger (or another one?) and it booted quite
    normal, no problems since!

    Good luck!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 1, 2006
  6. Robert Jolls

    Pedro CR Guest

    i've seen these exact same simptoms happen due to a malfunctioning disk.

    A quick stop by the disk manufacturer home page, I downloaded the
    diagnostics tool and ran it.

    Few minutes later came it reported bad sectors on disk/malfunctioning drive.

    I put it a new one, reinstalled windows xp and later added the failing drive
    as a slave. I was able to acess the drive on the newly installed system and
    recovered almost all of the information.

    Pedro CR, Apr 2, 2006