    don't think it is the OS.

    --
    No matter where you go, there you are.
    William, Sep 20, 2003

  2. William

    Boomer Guest

    William said:

    > My computer won't start windows on the first powerup of the day.
    > It gets to where the welcome screen should come up (XP HOME SP1)
    > and just hangs. If I hit the reset it will finally start
    > sometimes after multiple resets. Now after the computer has been
    > started for the day, it will reboot just fine. The problem seems
    > to occur after the thing has been left off overnight. Any
    > thoughts on what I should check? I've already done a zero fill
    > and format on the hard drives and reinstalled the OS and it's
    > still happening so I don't think it is the OS.

    Any of these any help?

    Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 308041
    Resources for Troubleshooting Startup Problems in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q308041

    Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting
    http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    and
    "Windows Shutdown & Restart Center Troubleshooting in 15 Steps"
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm
    Boomer, Sep 20, 2003

  3. Have you tried updating your bios on your motherboard?

    kljkkkkkkkkkk, Sep 20, 2003
  4. William

    Thorney Guest

    Boomer wrote: <Snips>

    > Any of these any help?
    >
    > Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 308041
    > Resources for Troubleshooting Startup Problems in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q308041
    >
    > Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting
    > http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    > and
    > "Windows Shutdown & Restart Center Troubleshooting in 15 Steps"
    > http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

    Thanks, Boomer. I rarely visit this group but my XP was failing
    to turn off when asked so I looked in. I didn't even have to post
    my symptoms as your third link solved it promptly and easily.
    I must admit I'm aghast at the number of things in my
    startup set (in msconfig); I guess I'll have to try turning some
    off to find out what they do. Or is there a guide somewhere that
    helps identify these? (Well, I'll try googling a few of the more
    mysterious ones.)
    --
    Thorney
    Thorney, Sep 20, 2003
  5. William

    trout Guest

    Thorney wrote:

    > Boomer wrote: <Snips>
    >
    >> Any of these any help?
    >>
    >> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 308041
    >> Resources for Troubleshooting Startup Problems in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q308041
    >>
    >> Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    >> and
    >> "Windows Shutdown & Restart Center Troubleshooting in 15 Steps"
    >> http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

    > Thanks, Boomer. I rarely visit this group but my XP was failing
    > to turn off when asked so I looked in. I didn't even have to post
    > my symptoms as your third link solved it promptly and easily.
    > I must admit I'm aghast at the number of things in my
    > startup set (in msconfig); I guess I'll have to try turning some
    > off to find out what they do. Or is there a guide somewhere that
    > helps identify these? (Well, I'll try googling a few of the more
    > mysterious ones.)

    *One* good resource is:
    "Search by category is handy."
    trout, Sep 21, 2003
  6. William

    Boomer Guest

    Thorney said:

    > Boomer wrote: <Snips>
    >
    >> Any of these any help?
    >>
    >> Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 308041
    >> Resources for Troubleshooting Startup Problems in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q308041
    >>
    >> Windows XP Shutdown & Restart Troubleshooting
    >> http://www.aumha.org/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    >> and
    >> "Windows Shutdown & Restart Center Troubleshooting in 15 Steps"
    >> http://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm

    > Thanks, Boomer. I rarely visit this group but my XP was failing
    > to turn off when asked so I looked in. I didn't even have to post
    > my symptoms as your third link solved it promptly and easily.

    You're welcome.

    > I must admit I'm aghast at the number of things in my
    > startup set (in msconfig); I guess I'll have to try turning some
    > off to find out what they do. Or is there a guide somewhere that
    > helps identify these? (Well, I'll try googling a few of the more
    > mysterious ones.)

    Looks like trout gave you an excellent link to start with. :)
    Boomer, Sep 21, 2003
  7. William

    William Guest

    "kljkkkkkkkkkk" <> wrote in

    > Have you tried updating your bios on your motherboard?

    Updated bios today so we'll see if it helps. Thanks to Boomer also for the
    other links as well.
    William, Sep 21, 2003
  8. William

    Boomer Guest

    William said:

    > "kljkkkkkkkkkk" <>
    > wrote in news:bkibn0$f4j$:
    >
    >> Have you tried updating your bios on your motherboard?

    > Updated bios today so we'll see if it helps. Thanks to Boomer
    > also for the other links as well.

    You're welcome.

    Good luck! :)
    Boomer, Sep 21, 2003