Windows wont boot after I deleted user.exe by mistake!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by M.J., Oct 4, 2004.

  1. M.J.

    M.J. Guest

    Hi

    I am posting this in the hope that someone out there will be able to
    help me to sort my PC out after I've made a major f***-up whilst
    accidently deleting the user.exe file (don't ask!).

    I was using BCWipe and it started to delete the file. I cancelled the
    operation almost immediately but not quickly enough apparently to
    allow it to completely scramble everything first.

    Now after numerous unsuccessful attempts to reload windows (98 and 95)
    the computer will not boot up. When I loaded win 98 and it was
    unsuccessful so I loaded up 95 but this too was no good. I have tried
    to reload countless times but every time I try to boot up it seems to
    go through the setup procedure ok. It prompts me to restart but when
    I do I get messages on the screen. The first is:

    Invalid setting in the MSDOS.SYS file: WINVER = 4.10.98 (just before
    the Windows 95 logo appears).

    I have now edited this file (by deleting this line).

    Afterwards it appears to carry on as normal but then I get three
    messages saying that some files are missing or corrupted in the
    registry or SYSTEM.INI file and that some Windows applications will
    not function without them. I am then invited to either re-install
    these files or uninstall the components that will not run (hope this
    makes sense).

    The files are:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\NTKERN.VXD
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\mtm.VXD
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\UDF.VXD.

    After I attempt to start the computer without these files I am finally
    given this message:

    Invalid VxD dynamic link call from ND15 (03) + 00000022 to device
    "004B", service 800B
    Your Windows configuration is invalid. Run the Windows Setup program
    again to correct this problem.

    Unfortunately I get back to this every time I try to reinstall
    Windows.

    I have tried restoring an earlier backup of the registry and
    C:\scanreg /fix but no joy there either.

    If I try booting up in Safe Mode I get a message saying:

    SYSTEM FILE ERROR

    The following files have been replaced with older versions by a
    program you recently ran. These files are currently in use and
    cannot be repaired.

    C:\ WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDEML.DLL

    Windows may not run correctly until you exit and restart Windows so
    these files can be automatically repaired.

    I tried renaming this file and copying from the sysbckup to system
    folder but this didn't work.

    I'm getting the same message regarding these files:

    C:\ WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mcicda.drv
    C:\ WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WINASPI.DLL

    Naturally, when I restart the computer nothing changes. Is there any
    way I can get myself out of this mess?

    Many thanks in advance

    MJ

    M.J., Oct 4, 2004

  2. M.J.

    art Guest

    If you have a windows disc maybe install it ...hopefully it will overwrite
    or replace the broken one ...its an option

    or if two hardrives install to second drive then you can access your files
    on the other drive

    art, Oct 4, 2004

  3. M.J.

    °Mike° Guest

    Install Windows into another folder.

    How to Install Windows 98 Into a New Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902

    On 4 Oct 2004 06:30:57 -0700, in
    <>
    M.J. scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 4, 2004
  4. M.J.

    M.J. Guest

    Hi thanks for your responses.

    I have tried to re-install win98 to another directory following the
    link http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902

    I already have a boot disk so I skipped the first part, but I seem to
    have fallen at the second hurdle i.e.

    Running Setup from the Windows 98 CD-ROM

    First I have changed the drive letter to E, being the drive letter of
    my CD-ROM drive, as instructed.

    I am then told "To prevent other support issues from occurring" I must
    rename the Program Files folder. It says:

    To do so, type the following commands at the command prompt, pressing
    ENTER after each line:

    cd\
    c:\windows\command\move progra~1 oldprog

    This I have done but I receive the message

    Cannot move progra~1 - no such file or directory

    I have looked using the edit.com facility from the floppy and sure
    enough, there it is on the hard drive...any ideas as to what's
    happening?

    yours in confusion

    MJ

    M.J., Oct 5, 2004
  5. M.J.

    Jon Splane Guest

    "M.J." wrote:

    > Hi thanks for your responses.
    >
    > I have tried to re-install win98 to another directory following the
    > link http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902
    >
    > I already have a boot disk so I skipped the first part, but I seem to
    > have fallen at the second hurdle i.e.
    >
    > Running Setup from the Windows 98 CD-ROM
    >
    > First I have changed the drive letter to E, being the drive letter of
    > my CD-ROM drive, as instructed.
    >
    > I am then told "To prevent other support issues from occurring" I must
    > rename the Program Files folder. It says:
    >
    > To do so, type the following commands at the command prompt, pressing
    > ENTER after each line:
    >
    > cd\
    > c:\windows\command\move progra~1 oldprog
    >
    > This I have done but I receive the message
    >
    > Cannot move progra~1 - no such file or directory
    >
    > I have looked using the edit.com facility from the floppy and sure
    > enough, there it is on the hard drive...any ideas as to what's
    > happening?
    >
    > yours in confusion
    >
    > MJ
    >
    > °Mike° <> wrote in message news:<41699300.3864671@localhost>...
    > > Install Windows into another folder.
    > >
    > > How to Install Windows 98 Into a New Folder
    > >

    > > On 4 Oct 2004 06:30:57 -0700, in
    > > <>
    > > M.J. scrawled:

    Try this instead "c:\windows\command\move C:\progra~1 oldprog"

    Jon

    Jon Splane, Oct 5, 2004
  6. M.J.

    M.J. Guest

    Hi Jon

    Tried this; first time I was returned to C:\ prompt. Tried again and
    recieved "bad file or command" message.

    The next step suggested on the MS help page is to move the windows
    directory by typing a similar command i.e.

    cd\
    c:\windows\command\move windows oldwin

    This worked fine and I recieved a confirmation message something like
    "move windows oldwin [ok]"

    Checking with edit.com tells me that C:progra~1 is still there...

    I think things are complicated further by the fact that I have now
    installed win95 over win98. I have two CD-ROMs for win 98 and neither
    is allowing me to load it. The first disk is stating that I already
    have an OS installed and that this disk is for computers which don't.
    It prompts me to use the windows 98se update disk which, when I try to
    load it tells me "this requires Microsoft Windows"

    If I had any hair left to tear out...

    Perhaps I need to try something drastic?

    Cheers

    MJ

    M.J., Oct 6, 2004
  7. M.J.

    Ingeborg Guest

    (M.J.) wrote in

    > I have two CD-ROMs for win 98 and neither
    > is allowing me to load it. The first disk is stating that I already
    > have an OS installed and that this disk is for computers which don't.

    You can bypass this by renaming win.com, which is in C:\Windows,
    C:\Oldwin in your situation.

    > It prompts me to use the windows 98se update disk which, when I try to
    > load it tells me "this requires Microsoft Windows"

    It's an update. You're supposed to be running an older version.

    Ingeborg, Oct 6, 2004
  8. M.J.

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Oct 6, 2004
  9. M.J.

    Jon Splane Guest

    "M.J." wrote:

    > Hi Jon
    >
    > Tried this; first time I was returned to C:\ prompt. Tried again and
    > recieved "bad file or command" message.
    >
    > The next step suggested on the MS help page is to move the windows
    > directory by typing a similar command i.e.
    >
    > cd\
    > c:\windows\command\move windows oldwin
    >
    > This worked fine and I recieved a confirmation message something like
    > "move windows oldwin [ok]"
    >
    > Checking with edit.com tells me that C:progra~1 is still there...
    >
    > I think things are complicated further by the fact that I have now
    > installed win95 over win98. I have two CD-ROMs for win 98 and neither
    > is allowing me to load it. The first disk is stating that I already
    > have an OS installed and that this disk is for computers which don't.
    > It prompts me to use the windows 98se update disk which, when I try to
    > load it tells me "this requires Microsoft Windows"
    >
    > If I had any hair left to tear out...
    >
    > Perhaps I need to try something drastic?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > MJ
    > Jon Splane <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > "M.J." wrote:
    > > >

    > > > Hi thanks for your responses.
    > > >

    > > > I have tried to re-install win98 to another directory following the
    > > > link http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=193902
    > > >

    > > > I already have a boot disk so I skipped the first part, but I seem to
    > > > have fallen at the second hurdle i.e.
    > > >

    > > > Running Setup from the Windows 98 CD-ROM
    > > >

    > > > First I have changed the drive letter to E, being the drive letter of
    > > > my CD-ROM drive, as instructed.
    > > >

    > > > I am then told "To prevent other support issues from occurring" I must
    > > > rename the Program Files folder. It says:
    > > >

    > > > To do so, type the following commands at the command prompt, pressing
    > > > ENTER after each line:
    > > >

    > > > cd\
    > > > c:\windows\command\move progra~1 oldprog
    > > >

    > > > This I have done but I receive the message
    > > >

    > > > Cannot move progra~1 - no such file or directory
    > > >

    > > > I have looked using the edit.com facility from the floppy and sure
    > > > enough, there it is on the hard drive...any ideas as to what's
    > > > happening?
    > > >

    > > > yours in confusion
    > > >

    > > > MJ
    > > >

    > > > Mike <qp mike > wrote in message news:<41699300.38646

    > > 71@localhost>...

    > > Try this instead "c:\windows\command\move C:\progra~1 oldprog"
    > >
    > > Jon

    The first time you entered the correct command it worked and renamed the
    folder. That is why you got the error message the second time you did
    it. Being returned to the DOS prompt after entering a command generally
    means the command executed successfully. It couldn't find the PROGRA~1
    folder the second time. At the C:\> prompt do a "DIR PROGRA~1" and you
    will see the folder by that name is not there. Try "DIR OLDPROG" and
    see if that folder is there now.

    See Ingeborg's advice RE: renaming the file WIN.COM in the C:\WINDOWS
    folder also. You will need to do this with at least some types of
    installation CDs. "REN C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM WIN.OLD"

    Jon

    Jon Splane, Oct 6, 2004
  10. M.J.

    M.J. Guest

    Hi Jon

    At the C:\> prompt do a "DIR PROGRA~1" and you
    > will see the folder by that name is not there. Try "DIR OLDPROG" and
    > see if that folder is there now.

    Actually it is still there and oldprog is "file not found" - curiouser
    and curiouser...!

    > See Ingeborg's advice RE: renaming the file WIN.COM in the C:\WINDOWS
    > folder also. You will need to do this with at least some types of
    > installation CDs. "REN C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM WIN.OLD"

    I tried typing in (at the C:\ and E:\ prompt) "REN C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM
    WIN.OLD" but am receiving "path not found" message. As you can
    probably tell, my knowledge of dos is rudimentary at best so maybe I'm
    missing something, but haven't I already renamed C:\WINDOWS to
    WIN.OLD?

    I am not keen to re-format my hard drive because there are some files
    on it that I do not want to lose but if I can't find another way out
    of this mess I guess that's what I'll have to do.

    Any more suggestions before I nuke everything will be gratefully
    received :-{

    Cheers

    MJ

    M.J., Oct 8, 2004