Windows Wireless Client Won't Connect WPA/AES

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ben, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Hi,

    I'm having problems setting up my Wireless connection. We have brought a
    3com OfficeConnect 108mb Access Point, and I'm trying to setup the security.
    I have configured WPA2 & AES with 802.1x Radius & PEAP.

    I have an Acer Aspire laptop, with built in Wi-Fi, if I use the Broadcom
    Wi-Fi utilty to configure the connection & security, I can connect to the AP
    without problem. However if I disable the Wi-Fi utility and use Windows
    Network Properties to configure the connection, it won't connect, just pops
    up with Wireless Network unavailable. The same happens on a collegues
    laptop, and his is a Dell Inspiron using a Dell True Mobile Wi-Fi card.
    I've played with the settings, and if I drop the AP security to WPA & TKIP
    with 802.1x Radius & PEAP, then the Windows Config tool works, and the
    connection to the AP is made. It just seems to be Windows & AES. We're using
    WinXP SP2, which should support WPA2/AES
    If we were just setting this up on a few laptops it wouldn't be a problem,
    however, we will be setting this up and a large number, and I'd like to roll
    it out via Group Policy, which uses the Windows Configuration method.

    Is this a known problem? If so is there a fix, or patch that will fix it?

    Cheers

    Ben

    Ben, Jan 16, 2006

  2. "Ben" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm having problems setting up my Wireless connection. We have brought a
    > 3com OfficeConnect 108mb Access Point, and I'm trying to setup the
    > security. I have configured WPA2 & AES with 802.1x Radius & PEAP.
    >
    > I have an Acer Aspire laptop, with built in Wi-Fi, if I use the Broadcom
    > Wi-Fi utilty to configure the connection & security, I can connect to the
    > AP without problem. However if I disable the Wi-Fi utility and use Windows
    > Network Properties to configure the connection, it won't connect, just
    > pops up with Wireless Network unavailable. The same happens on a collegues
    > laptop, and his is a Dell Inspiron using a Dell True Mobile Wi-Fi card.
    > I've played with the settings, and if I drop the AP security to WPA & TKIP
    > with 802.1x Radius & PEAP, then the Windows Config tool works, and the
    > connection to the AP is made. It just seems to be Windows & AES. We're
    > using WinXP SP2, which should support WPA2/AES
    > If we were just setting this up on a few laptops it wouldn't be a problem,
    > however, we will be setting this up and a large number, and I'd like to
    > roll it out via Group Policy, which uses the Windows Configuration method.
    >
    > Is this a known problem? If so is there a fix, or patch that will fix it?

    The WZC client is SP2 does NOT support WPA2, it is only a WPA client. You
    need to get the KB893357 package which adds WPA2 support to the WZC client.

    Here is a link (watch for wrapping...):
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...4d-e7c1-48d6-95ee-1459234f4483&displaylang=en

    Philip Doragh, Jan 17, 2006

  3. Ben

    Ben Guest

    "Philip Doragh" <> wrote in message

    > The WZC client is SP2 does NOT support WPA2, it is only a WPA client. You
    > need to get the KB893357 package which adds WPA2 support to the WZC
    > client.
    >
    > Here is a link (watch for wrapping...):
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...4d-e7c1-48d6-95ee-1459234f4483&displaylang=en

    Hi Philip

    Thanks for the reply. I too found this article on MS site, and downloaded
    the update, however it didn't seem to fix the problem. I also found
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826942 which is a
    wireless update rollup, but I think this may hav already been applied via
    our WSUS server.
    I've fallen back to WPA & TKIP, until I can figure out the problem.

    Cheers

    Ben

    Ben, Jan 18, 2006