Windows will not open - help please

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ECLiPSE 2002, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    This morning I started my Athlon PC running Win98se and it booted up
    without any problem. I did two things - burned a CD-R and went to the
    McAfee update web site and downloaded and installed this week's dat
    files.

    When I attempted to open and read my email messages in Outlook Express
    6, I got an error message that said ..."Cannot initialize ressource
    DLL. Press OK to Exit" After doing this I was able to download and
    read my messages.

    I shut down the computer and later in the day I started the PC and it
    progressed as far as the Microsoft Windows 98 screen and hung there.

    Possible contributing factors:

    1. the ressource DLL?

    2. Earlier in the week I had a virus which McAfee detected and I was
    able to delete it - the virus detection screen indicated that program
    affected was C:\Program Files\Agent\Temp\Tmp and the virus name was
    Exploit-Dcom Rpc.gen. After deleting it there appeared to be no
    further problems.

    3. I was able to boot up in safe mode which I believe indicates that a
    driver or program is causing the start up problem, does it not?
    In safe mode when I went to msconfig I noticed that none of the start
    items were checked and when I attempted to start MaAfee Virus Shield I
    got an error message that said ...this program has committed an
    illegal action and will be terminated.

    Based upon the above, does anyone have any thoughts on what might be
    at play here and whether any of the above factors may be in some way
    responsible for the problem and what steps I might be able to
    undertake to identify and remedy the problem?

    Any assistance would be greatly apprecitated.

    Mary
    ECLiPSE 2002, Jun 18, 2004

  2. ECLiPSE 2002

    RJK Guest

    McAfee software was always, and still is, a DISASTER waiting to happen. IF,
    doesn't upset your machine from the moment you install it, it'll do it a
    little later on!

    Uninstall McAfee, replace it with something else such as Norton, and you'll
    be fine.

    Note: there will always be a few people with cluttered and/or poorly
    maintained systems that refer to Norton software as "bloatware." This is
    simply because their hardware is inadequate and/or their system was on the
    point of collapse when they installed Norton.

    regards, Richard

    ....unashamedly and obviously a Norton fan :)

    RJK, Jun 18, 2004

  3. ECLiPSE 2002

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "RJK" <> wrote in message
    > > McAfee software was always, and still is, a DISASTER waiting to
    > > happen. IF, doesn't upset your machine from the moment you install
    > > it, it'll do it a little later on!
    > >
    > > Uninstall McAfee, replace it with something else such as Norton,
    > > and you'll be fine.
    > >
    > > Note: there will always be a few people with cluttered and/or
    > > poorly maintained systems that refer to Norton software as
    > > "bloatware." This is simply because their hardware is inadequate
    > > and/or their system was on the point of collapse when they
    > > installed Norton.
    > >
    > > regards, Richard
    > >
    > > ...unashamedly and obviously a Norton fan :)

    And McAfee basher extrordinaire - as in there is no truth to the above
    statement either. Norton is large. McAfee is large. They *both* have tried
    to add so many features to their software that they sometimes cause
    problems. I have run both for years on as many as 45 different systems. I
    have *one* that McAfee is causing some trouble with, and I've had several
    where Norton caused trouble.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
    Toolman Tim, Jun 18, 2004
  4. ECLiPSE 2002

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > I have run both for years on as many as 45 different systems. I
    > have *one* that McAfee is causing some trouble with, and I've had several
    > where Norton caused trouble.

    Working in support, I talk to people every day who's norton internet
    security crapped out and they can't connect to anything. I also take calls
    from people who's mcafee suite crapped out and won't let them connect to
    anything. I don't see any noticable difference between the two, other than
    more people have norton these days and thus I get more norton calls.
    Jim Berwick, Jun 18, 2004
  5. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Many thanks to all responders - your input is appreciated,

    Mary
    ECLiPSE 2002, Jun 18, 2004
  6. ECLiPSE 2002

    optikl Guest

    ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:
    > This morning I started my Athlon PC running Win98se and it booted up
    > without any problem. I did two things - burned a CD-R and went to the
    > McAfee update web site and downloaded and installed this week's dat
    > files.
    >
    > When I attempted to open and read my email messages in Outlook Express
    > 6, I got an error message that said ..."Cannot initialize ressource
    > DLL. Press OK to Exit" After doing this I was able to download and
    > read my messages.
    >
    > I shut down the computer and later in the day I started the PC and it
    > progressed as far as the Microsoft Windows 98 screen and hung there.
    >
    > Possible contributing factors:
    >

    > 1. the ressource DLL?
    >
    > 2. Earlier in the week I had a virus which McAfee detected and I was
    > able to delete it - the virus detection screen indicated that program
    > affected was C:\Program Files\Agent\Temp\Tmp and the virus name was
    > Exploit-Dcom Rpc.gen. After deleting it there appeared to be no
    > further problems.
    >
    > 3. I was able to boot up in safe mode which I believe indicates that a
    > driver or program is causing the start up problem, does it not?
    > In safe mode when I went to msconfig I noticed that none of the start
    > items were checked and when I attempted to start MaAfee Virus Shield I
    > got an error message that said ...this program has committed an
    > illegal action and will be terminated.
    >
    > Based upon the above, does anyone have any thoughts on what might be
    > at play here and whether any of the above factors may be in some way
    > responsible for the problem and what steps I might be able to
    > undertake to identify and remedy the problem?
    >
    > Any assistance would be greatly apprecitated.
    >
    > Mary

    There's a process one goes through when Windows won't start. I'd suggest
    going to the microsoft web-site and seach the KB for articles that have
    key words "when Windows will not boot" plus "Windows 98".

    It's not clear from your description what exactly McAfee found. You may
    have some kind of malware problem that is causing this.
    Since you have WIn98, did you create any emergency boot disks with
    McAfee that you can run in DOS mode to determine whether or not you have
    a malware issue?
    optikl, Jun 18, 2004
  7. ECLiPSE 2002

    PCR Guest

    Your situation is more complex than mine. But McAfee did not update well
    for me last night. I was only able to reboot to Normal Mode by undoing
    McAfee's update in Safe Mode. I replaced the 13 McAfee files that were
    updated from my clone. (Soon, I will try the update again.) If you
    cannot do that, then...

    In Safe Mode, perhaps un/re-install McAfee, to start.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    PCR, Jun 19, 2004