    to look at. I have to leave my computer for long periods for classes during
    the day and would prefer not having to turn it off every time. Any help
    would be awesome!

    =?Utf-8?B?SWNla29waA==?=, Jan 20, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SWNla29waA==?=

    Rick Guest

    Is this problem occurring in Windows x64? If not, you're in the wrong
    news group. This is specifically for 64-bit Windows operating systems.

    What is your hardware configuration?

    What software do you have running when this happens?

    Rick, Jan 20, 2006

  3. Are there any messages in the Event Viewer, any unusual processes running in
    the background? (Right Click Taskbar > click Task Manager > Processes (tab)
    to see if this is the case). Its possible that your video drivers need
    updating. Please also give us some more details on your system specs so we
    can be a little bit more accurate suggestions and answers.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jan 20, 2006
  4. I do have x64 yes.
    My hardware is:

    Gigabyte i-DNA GeForce Motherboard (GA-K8N51GMF-9)
    AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ Processor
    2.01 GHz
    1 GB RAM
    2 100 GB Maxtor SATA Hard Drives

    Running Windows XP x64 SP1

    Yes I have an error in the event viewer.

    The description for Event ID ( 19011 ) in Source ( MSSQL$MICROSOFTSMLBIZ )
    cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
    information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer.
    You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see
    Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:
    (SpnRegister) : Error 1355.

    I don't see any weird processes as far as I know, but x64 has a few new ones
    that I don't know about from 2000. So the only one I could suggest that
    looks a little new to me that is taking up processing power is nSvcIp.exe.
    But I doubt that that's the problem.

    Anything else you need let me know.

    =?Utf-8?B?SWNla29waA==?=, Jan 20, 2006
  5. I think changing power state configuration in bios setup may help.
    on my machine it has options for keyboard/mouse wake option. it used to be
    disabled before and I had similar problems.

    let us know if this helps. thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?dGFoc2lu?=, Jan 20, 2006
  6. it didn't help...the computer isn't going into standby (even though those
    settings you are talking about were already on), it's just flat out freezing.
    it's not just related to the screensaver or when I leave it for awhile
    anymore...it did it while I was playing a game yesterday and again once while
    I was browsing the internet. I am really getting annoyed now because there
    is no true interval for the freezes and they always require a reboot, so I
    lose any messages that I received with instant messenger. any help here
    would really be appreciated...I'm also waiting for a reply from gigabyte
    about their download manager (web-based) as that's not working either
    (active-x controls), and I enabled all of their settings, because I thought
    that the problem could possibly be a driver issue with the motherboard,
    although this wasn't happening until I actually started "using" my computer.
    When I was installing everything at the beginning (OS, drivers, software,
    etc) nothing wrong was happening. Since I came back to school the problem
    has started. You don't think the fact that I'm on a different network is
    part of the problem do you?

    Jake

    =?Utf-8?B?SWNla29waA==?=, Jan 21, 2006
  7. Hey you might want to look into possible over heating... it's a bit of a long
    shot but it's a possibility. I know gigabyte has a hardware monitor you might
    want to looking into installing that, if it isn't already and monitor your
    temps for a little while just to see how hot the CPU / System is getting. I
    was also going to suggest turning off any power managements options /
    features that might put the HD into standby after a certain period of time,
    but then you reposted and said that it is not only happening with the PC is
    left idle so I would say it's safe to scrap that suggestion. You might want
    to look into your resource settings and review your current IRQ assignments.
    Even though the device manager doesn't show IRQ conflicts and that everything
    is working properly, that’s not always the case. I've see windows misbehave
    and not like to share IRQ's. You can review your IRQ assignments by going to
    start and run and then typing msinfo32 and then hitting enter or clicking ok.
    I'm not sure if that cmd will work under the 64-bit environment so in that
    case you can always go to start and all programs and then accessories and
    then system tools and selecting system info. Once you get into there you can
    click on hardware resources and then on IRQs you might want to see how many
    devices are on each IRQ if it looks like there are an abundance of devices on
    one IRQ you might want to try disabling that device in the device manager and
    use the PC for a little while to see if that cures the problem. Obviously if
    it's a system critical piece of hardware you can't disable it so try you can
    try going into the BIOS and disabling that IRQ or reserve that IRQ in the
    BIOS and see if windows will redistribute the hardware on to different IRQ's
    if this doesn't work then just go back into the bios and unassigned or re
    enable that IRQ #. From what I've read so far you haven't mentioned anything
    that represents a certain time when the system locks up, is it just random?
    For kicks you can go ahead and go to Start and run and then msconfig and
    under the general tab select diagnostic start up and just boot the PC up like
    that to see if you can get away with it not locking up. After a day or so if
    the PC doesn't lock up and it seems to be fixed you might want to look into
    what you have starting up on boot up when the system is booted into normal
    mode and not diagnostic. I would imagine you are using virus protection? I'm
    not too familiar with the x64 environment but I would imagine there is a
    virus utility out there. If you haven't scanned already I suggest you do so.
    Also you might want to look into installing some Spyware / Adware detection
    programs, a few good ones are, Microsoft Anti Spyware, Lava soft USA's Ad
    Aware or Spy Bot Search and Destroy. If you currently do not have programs
    such as the ones mentioned above you should run your initials scans with all
    three of these Applications just because I have yet to see one Spyware /
    Adware program find all the problems on a PC it always seems to take a
    combination of programs to clean a system. Hope on of these will help. If not
    post back and I'm sure someone here will try to help you out. BTW as far as
    another network causing your PC to lock up is very unlikely. You mentioned
    something about Active X control problems. What is going on with that? I also
    don't believe that is your problem here. If it was an Active X control
    problem then the system would only lock up when an Active X control was being
    utilized. Good Luck!

    Best,
    --
    Jordan

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9yZGFuIFBldHJvbmU=?=, Jan 23, 2006
  8. Paragraphs would be nice and helpful too. :)

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 23, 2006