"Windows was unable to find a certificate..." problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by harry.wj, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. harry.wj

    harry.wj Guest

    I have had a wireless network set up between a laptop and my PC which has
    worked smoothly for a couple of weeks. Today when I booted up the laptop I
    got the message "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you into
    the network " on top of my sys tray icon which now has a yellow triangle and
    exclamation mark on it!

    I browsed about and discovered this was something to do with encryption. Up
    until this problem occuring I hadn't changed any of my router's (SpeedTouch
    585) settings whatsoever or on the laptop. I tried putting in a brand new
    WPA-PSK key into the router then put it into the laptop, but still the same
    problem happens. I don't know is this is related but when I input the new
    key into the laptop in Wireless Network Connection Properties>wireless
    networks>properties>association hit ok then return to that window it has
    gone back to the router's default key, a 10 digit key which doesn't work. I
    also tried to repair the connection but that hasn't worked either.

    I also read that if, in the network properties>authentication, the "enable
    IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" box is enabled it can lead to
    connection problems. But it is unchecked. In fact, even if I wanted to
    enable it I can't because the entire box is greyed out. Can someone verify
    if this is where I can fix the problem, how this window came to be greyed
    out and how to fix it.

    So how has this problem occurred and how do I fix it?

    Help gratefully received.

    Harry

    Toxic language creates a hostile work environment"
    - Art Bell
    harry.wj, Feb 28, 2006