    audio switches to Dolby.

    Any ideas?

    , Apr 12, 2008

  2. ded Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am currently running Vista, SP1. Sound chip is a RealTek HD output
    > through SPDIF (coax), run to my AV receiver.
    >
    > How do I get windows to output all audio (including windowd default
    > sounds) to Dolby Digital? Right now it outputs everything to 2.0
    > PCM. I have enabled digital output (spdif), and DD and DTS in the
    > control panel. I have done the test, and heard the tone on all
    > channels (and when it does the tones, Dolby Digital kicks in of
    > course, but then goes back to PCM after the test).
    >
    > I know digital out is working because like I said, it does the test in
    > DD, and also, I have installed AC3 Filter, and when I play movies, the
    > audio switches to Dolby.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    DD is a decoding technique, to extract Dolby Digital audio, the source
    meterial has to be encoded in Dolby Digital. If as an example you play
    a CD or a media file such as WMV or a downloaded music file, if they
    are CDa, or a compressed video clip (in mono maybe), or an MP3 or
    whatever, then there is no DD soundtrack to decode.
    I think what you want is to have 2-channel/stereo etc audio playing
    through all the speakers of your surround setup., then all you can
    do is if your soundcard has the 5.1 analog outputs, then connect
    them to the analog inputs of your surround amp. Configure your
    soundcard to output via all anolog/line level outputs.
    But it won't be Dolby Digital as they were not encoded as such, all
    it will be is five analog channels of a mono mix. (of sorts).

    ded, Apr 13, 2008