    compatible with the new versions of office documents.

    Oh yes, one more thing - it supports raw digital camera photos which is good
    for me although I already have the xp Raw add on.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Dec 27, 2005

  2. news.xtra.co.nz

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:35:12 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    <> exclaimed:

    >After reviewing the specs, all I can say is that windows vista is pretty
    >useless.
    >
    >It offers no functional enhancements over xp that I really need, except, it
    >is purported to be 'more secure' .
    >
    >The main changes seem to be the eyecandy userinterface.
    >
    >But, I will have to eventually upgrade since I will need something
    >compatible with the new versions of office documents.
    >
    >Oh yes, one more thing - it supports raw digital camera photos which is good
    >for me although I already have the xp Raw add on.

    Yeah, I don't think many will be upgrading from XP to Vista. Still,
    it's probably a good "next OS" for anyone running pre-XP.

    Fred Dagg, Dec 28, 2005

  3. news.xtra.co.nz

    Steven H Guest

    Hello news.xtra.co.nz,

    > After reviewing the specs, all I can say is that windows vista is
    > pretty useless.

    intresting considering B2 has only been released out to technical beta -
    methinks i can get it through work (dunno if were on the beta program or
    not) so i do find it intresting that you can make a broad statement.

    ok, where do i start

    tcp stack - re-written
    vista machines download at a far greater speed, aproximately 50% speed increase
    (though the dudes saying it also said that it was being a little conservitave
    - when i say the 'dudes saying it' i mean the coders who wrote it)

    print engine - re-written
    MS & major printer manafacturers joined to produce a new standard, much higher
    detail prints

    sound engine - re-written
    that volume thingee in the taskbar, now you got per-app volume, its more
    'user friendly', higher fidielty (sp), surround sound out of the box, yadda
    yadda yadda

    > The main changes seem to be the eyecandy userinterface.

    yes there is Windows Presentation Foundation (avalon) and they have done
    a shyte load of work on it but thoes guys are just a 'small' part of the
    overall team - we are talking about upwards of 1000 active developers, and
    talk that Vista is the largest software project on the planet at the moment
    (Nathan ... got any numbers? ).

    then you have the Transactional File System... well when i say 'transactional'
    i really mean that an 'entire process' can be transactionalized from SQL
    stuff, to File IO to whatever that plugs into DTC (Distributed Transaction
    Coordinator).

    then you have Workflow - as in a framework (.net) to model workflows (state
    machines are cool), Communication - havent done much on this one but its
    orientated around well.. communication, and ... other stuff that i forget.

    one of the things i think is cool is that i can write some software in my
    own format (say a recipie program) and i can provide some interfaces that
    will allow the shell to do stuff to my data, like attribute any kind of property
    (say 'recipies that steven likes') provide thumbnails and even previews of
    my private files content.

    i think this is cool because it allows people (normal people) free reign
    over how to organize their infomation, your not limited to folders, you can
    plug in some keywords and organize anything - this will become more important
    from now on as people get massive hard drives and fill them.

    one demo that i thaught was really cool (i forget its name) but basically
    it was a program that allowed you to visualize shyteloads of data in a timeline,
    you could zoom in, zoom out, drag & drop onto diffrent categorys, expand
    and contract all your 'stuff' into an easy to digest visual form that makes
    it simple to find stuff and visualize relationships between *anything*.

    one other demo i saw (not a part of vista but part of the developer tools
    that will be rolled out for Orcas) was a really cool visual designer (codename
    Cider) that spat out xml and allowed you to do some *really cool* stuff.
    it also enables more of an 'union' between coders and 'user interface people'
    - something that doesnt really happen at the moment and can cause issues.

    > It offers no functional enhancements over xp that I really need,
    > except, it is purported to be 'more secure' .

    what can i say, personally i am looking forward to vista, its your choise
    to use it.

    as for the 'more secure' thing ...

    do you really think that programmers (of any persuasion) sit there and think
    of ways to open up their code to hackers ???

    you will never get a 'bugfree' Operating System - there simply too large
    and complex and often interactions can be unforseen.

    > But, I will have to eventually upgrade since I will need something
    > compatible with the new versions of office documents.

    new versions of Office Documents are xml, so whats your problem ?

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Dec 28, 2005
  4. news.xtra.co.nz

    steve Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > After reviewing the specs, all I can say is that windows vista is pretty
    > useless.
    >
    > It offers no functional enhancements over xp that I really need, except,
    > it is purported to be 'more secure' .
    >
    > The main changes seem to be the eyecandy userinterface.
    >
    > But, I will have to eventually upgrade since I will need something
    > compatible with the new versions of office documents.
    >
    > Oh yes, one more thing - it supports raw digital camera photos which is
    > good for me although I already have the xp Raw add on.

    But for the last comment, you could have said exactly the same thing about
    all previous Windows upgrades.....

    Your existing MS Office should work just fine - on Linux, if not on a new
    version of Windows.

    Problems with file compatiability? Take that up with (or avoid) a vendor who
    does not respect your data or you.

    steve, Dec 28, 2005
  5. On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:35:12 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > But, I will have to eventually upgrade since I will need something
    > compatible with the new versions of office documents.

    Why don't you simply tell people to send documents to you in OD Format?

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    Free software on every PC on every desk.

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 28, 2005
  6. On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:16:50 +0000, Steven H wrote:

    > vista machines download at a far greater speed, aproximately 50% speed
    > increase

    My SuSE box usually sends stuff across to my network server at gigabit
    speeds. Can WinNT5.1 not do that?

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    Free software on every PC on every desk.

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 28, 2005
  7. news.xtra.co.nz

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:44:13 +1300, Mr Undeniably Sluttish
    <> exclaimed:

    >On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:35:12 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >
    >> But, I will have to eventually upgrade since I will need something
    >> compatible with the new versions of office documents.

    >Why don't you simply tell people to send documents to you in OD Format?

    *yawn*

    Maybe because he lives in the real world?

    Fred Dagg, Dec 28, 2005
  8. On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:16:50 +0000, Steven H wrote:

    > new versions of Office Documents are xml, so whats your problem ?

    New versions of M$ Office documents are *mostly* XML. Parts of them are
    proprietary binary additions.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    Free software on every PC on every desk.

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 28, 2005
  9. "Steven H" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > cool* stuff. it also enables more of an 'union' between coders and 'user
    > interface people' - something that doesnt really happen at the moment and
    > can cause issues.
    >

    >> It offers no functional enhancements over xp that I really need,
    >> except, it is purported to be 'more secure' .

    > what can i say, personally i am looking forward to vista, its your choise
    > to use it.
    >
    > as for the 'more secure' thing ...
    >
    > do you really think that programmers (of any persuasion) sit there and
    > think of ways to open up their code to hackers ???
    >
    > you will never get a 'bugfree' Operating System - there simply too large
    > and complex and often interactions can be unforseen.
    >> But, I will have to eventually upgrade since I will need something
    >> compatible with the new versions of office documents.

    > new versions of Office Documents are xml, so whats your problem ?

    Nothing there sounds of interest to me at this stage - except, for the sound
    thing.

    Are you saying office xp will read these office xml documents without
    translation?

    news.xtra.co.nz, Dec 28, 2005
  10. news.xtra.co.nz

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Undeniably,

    > New versions of M$ Office documents are *mostly* XML. Parts of them
    > are proprietary binary additions.

    i wouldnt know (and i wouldnt think you would either) as (iirc) office 12
    hasnt came to beta yet.

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Dec 28, 2005
  11. news.xtra.co.nz

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Undeniably Sluttish,

    > My SuSE box usually sends stuff across to my network server at gigabit
    > speeds. Can WinNT5.1 not do that?

    <woosh> ummm.... call me stupid if you like but your point flew over my head

    as for suse vs whatever.... compare it when it comes out.

    ----------------
    the madGeek

    Steven H, Dec 28, 2005
  12. news.xtra.co.nz

    Steven H Guest

    Hello news.xtra.co.nz,

    > Nothing there sounds of interest to me at this stage - except, for the
    > sound thing.

    really... why...

    do you do something with music ? or sound manipulation software ?

    > Are you saying office xp will read these office xml documents without
    > translation?

    my point was that its 'just xml' even you can write some software to make
    sence of it all.

    As for XP being able to read Office 12 xml format, if history speeks clear
    enough you will find that there will be a converter or something available
    that will let downlevel office versions (nobody knows how far downlevel)
    read the new format.

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Dec 28, 2005
  13. news.xtra.co.nz

    Steven H Guest

    Hello news.xtra.co.nz,

    while i renember about the sound thing...

    there finally getting rid of sndrec32.exe, and now you can finally record
    more than one minute worth of sound (limitation in sndrec32.exe)

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Dec 28, 2005
  14. news.xtra.co.nz

    Jennings Guest

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:21:19 +0000, Steven H wrote:

    > Hello Undeniably Sluttish,
    >
    >> My SuSE box usually sends stuff across to my network server at gigabit
    >> speeds. Can WinNT5.1 not do that?

    > <woosh> ummm.... call me stupid if you like but your point flew over my head
    >
    > as for suse vs whatever.... compare it when it comes out.
    >
    > ----------------

    Steven you have to remember that lennier has only ever used win98.

    WinNT Win200 WinXP are operating systems the twit has never used.

    Jennings.

    Jennings, Dec 28, 2005
  15. >
    >> Nothing there sounds of interest to me at this stage - except, for the
    >> sound thing.

    > really... why...
    >
    > do you do something with music ? or sound manipulation software ?

    No - just that the current sound settings thing sucks.

    eg, I use the inboard sound for some programs, and the sound card for other
    applications - particularly differentiating for voip apps and other types of
    programs.

    This allows me to easily use the headset for voip, and , the external
    speakers work properly for my other apps. Having more flexibility sounds
    good although I'd like to see this in practice.

    >> Are you saying office xp will read these office xml documents without
    >> translation?

    > my point was that its 'just xml' even you can write some software to make
    > sence of it all.

    Gotcha.

    > As for XP being able to read Office 12 xml format, if history speeks clear
    > enough you will find that there will be a converter or something available
    > that will let downlevel office versions (nobody knows how far downlevel)
    > read the new format.

    Convertors suck.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Dec 28, 2005
  16. news.xtra.co.nz

    Steven H Guest

    Hello Jennings,

    > Steven you have to remember that lennier has only ever used win98.

    thats lennier !!!!

    urgh...

    i wish people would stick to names that i can renember, at least i post with
    my real name as well as my alias

    ----------------
    Steven H

    the madGeek

    Steven H, Dec 28, 2005
  17. news.xtra.co.nz

    Peter Guest

    Steven H wrote:

    > new versions of Office Documents are xml, so whats your problem ?

    I want to own my data, which means I can access my data (now and in the
    future) without being reliant on a single foreign corporation. I also want
    public records (ie government) to be in a format that doesn't oblige me to
    buy expensive software from a particular monopoly.

    Peter

    Peter, Dec 28, 2005
  18. On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:12:53 +0000, Steven H wrote:

    >> New versions of M$ Office documents are *mostly* XML. Parts of them
    >> are proprietary binary additions.

    > i wouldnt know (and i wouldnt think you would either) as (iirc) office 12
    > hasnt came to beta yet.

    It is because of those proprietary binary extensions that Micro$oft's XML
    file format did not get approved, as it was not sufficiently open.

    Don't you follow the news?

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    Free software on every PC on every desk.

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 28, 2005
  19. news.xtra.co.nz

    XP Guest

    wrote:

    >After reviewing the specs, all I can say is that windows vista is pretty
    >useless.
    >
    >It offers no functional enhancements over xp that I really need, except, it
    >is purported to be 'more secure' .
    >
    >The main changes seem to be the eyecandy userinterface.
    >
    >But, I will have to eventually upgrade since I will need something
    >compatible with the new versions of office documents.
    >
    >Oh yes, one more thing - it supports raw digital camera photos which is good
    >for me although I already have the xp Raw add on.

    And a loy lot More DRM..

    XP, Dec 28, 2005
  20. news.xtra.co.nz

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 21:29:18 +1300, Peter <>
    exclaimed:

    >Steven H wrote:
    >>
    >> new versions of Office Documents are xml, so whats your problem ?

    >I want to own my data, which means I can access my data (now and in the
    >future) without being reliant on a single foreign corporation. I also want
    >public records (ie government) to be in a format that doesn't oblige me to
    >buy expensive software from a particular monopoly.

    It's free: http://tinyurl.com/64atx

    But that's not what it's really about, now, is it?

    Fred Dagg, Dec 28, 2005