    I'm fairly certain my hardware meets the requirements it moreso to get an
    indication on OS support for my Host RAID Controller (is a driver included or
    do I have to wait for Dell) and some other accessories.
    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=, Jun 5, 2006

  2. Windows x64 is currently not supported, as for RAID drivers, yep, still
    needed for Vista (updated ones too). So make sure you obtain those before
    installing Vista.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 5, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

    Graham Guest

    Mark wrote:

    > Apparently it doesn't work on a 64bit system?

    I found that too. Oddly, it is supported if you run it on Vista. Isn't
    it a bit too late by then? I mean, you're going to know whether Vista
    works on your system by the time you can run it with Vista!

    Graham.
    Graham, Jun 6, 2006
  4. Correct. There is no upgrade from XP Pro x64 to any edition of Vista yet
    announced. I don't know whether or not x64's availablity only as an OEM
    edition is a factor, but it might be. In the past OEM editions of Windows
    have always been upgradable but all of those editions were available both as
    OEM and retail. x64 has never had a retail edition.

    So far it looks like you will not be able to purchase a Vista Upgrade sku to
    upgrade any editions of Windows except XP Pro x86, XP Home, Media Center,
    and Windows 2000 SP4. I expect that XP Pro x86 and W2k SP4 will only be
    ugradable to a Vista Business or Ultimate sku.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 6, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

    Graham Guest

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > So far it looks like you will not be able to purchase a Vista Upgrade sku to
    > upgrade any editions of Windows except XP Pro x86, XP Home, Media Center,
    > and Windows 2000 SP4. I expect that XP Pro x86 and W2k SP4 will only be
    > ugradable to a Vista Business or Ultimate sku.

    So you are suggesting that the early adopters of 64-bit Windows will be
    left hung out to dry by Microsoft.

    Graham.
    Graham, Jun 6, 2006
  6. Well, XP x86 upgrades to Vista x86 are lousy anyway, so I can't see any
    difference coming out of XP x64 to Vista x64. I am definitely doing a clean
    install of Vista x64 when it RTMs.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 6, 2006
  7. I would expect to see an upgrade SKU. But it would almost certainly be a
    fresh install version, for one very important reason - all drivers in x64
    Vista must be signed. Trying to upgrade a machine (as opposed to creating a
    new one) when there are unsigned drivers on it would be a major problem.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 6, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Isn't that the same for x86. Won't all drivers have to be signed?

    John Barnes, Jun 6, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Upgrade versions in the past have allowed for either an upgrade OR clean
    install. They just checked to see if you had an acceptable version on the
    system. They even let you keep the old version and dual boot if you wanted
    to.

    John Barnes, Jun 6, 2006
  10. In what way? Don't you expect to get good use out of it? Given the price
    of x64 as opposed to XP Pro x86 full edition I see no problem.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 6, 2006
  11. x86 drivers for Vista do not have to be signed now. x64 drivers do. It may
    stay that way through release.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 6, 2006
  12. I am not as confident that there will be any upgrade for x64. There was
    never a retail edition. Think about it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 6, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You have been able to upgrade previous products from OEM versions to retail
    versions of the new product

    John Barnes, Jun 6, 2006
  14. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks. Sounds like another nail in the 64-bit coffin.

    John Barnes, Jun 6, 2006
  15. Vista is totally different though, I remember doing an upgrade from 2000 Pro
    to XP Pro and it was the smoothest upgrade experience ever, slow, but
    smooth. XP to Vista so far has been Russian Roulette.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 6, 2006
  16. Well, people have been able to upgrade from the trial to the full OEM
    Version, but in a sense its a clean upgrade install. Just preserves your
    applications and settings. :-s

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 6, 2006
  17. No, only x64 has the driver signing requirement.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 6, 2006
  18. The opposite, actually. Even though, at this very early stage, it creates
    issues. In the long run, it will make a significant impact on the safety and
    security of x64 systems. For me, that's actually a compelling reason to run
    x64.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 6, 2006
  19. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    To clarify, I am talking about being able to install an 'Upgrade' version.
    Not whether you do a clean install or 'upgrade' with it.

    John Barnes, Jun 6, 2006
  20. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

    John Barnes, Jun 6, 2006