    Anyone know any more about this? For many this would be pretty good
    reason not to accept Vista.

    Philip

    Philip, Aug 28, 2006

  2. In message <44f25da4$>, Philip wrote:

    > For many this would be pretty good reason not to accept Vista.

    No it wouldn't. Microsoft Can Do No Wrong. The alternative is simply
    unthinkable.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 29, 2006

  3. Philip

    steve Guest

    Philip wrote:

    > I just read on Michael Geist's pages
    > http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/1370/195/
    > a comment saying:
    >
    > "I've just recently read that Microsoft's new Windows Vista will refuse
    > to work with DVD-ROM drives that have their firmware modified to disable
    > region coding."
    >
    > Anyone know any more about this? For many this would be pretty good
    > reason not to accept Vista.
    >
    > Philip

    Why wait?

    Reject Windows NOW...and you'll barely notice (and care less) when the next
    usage-limiting, wallet-emptying, virus-ridden piece of Microslop comes out.

    I dumped WinXP when the SP1 EULA *required* me to give MS access to my
    system when I was connected to the net.

    That was just one imposition too far.....and that was 5 years ago.

    Linux has been my mainstay and it more than lives up to every job i ask it
    to do.

    But then I started early, made the adjustment and have reaped the benefits
    of that freedom and independence from MS slavery.

    No viruses.
    No adware.
    No spyware.

    Nothing but net.

    steve, Sep 1, 2006
  4. Philip

    Phil Guest

    Philip wrote, On 28/08/06 3.03 p:
    > "I've just recently read that Microsoft's new Windows Vista will refuse
    > to work with DVD-ROM drives that have their firmware modified to disable
    > region coding."

    They are dropping support for some old DVD drives. I don't see how
    they'd even be able to check the firmware on every possible DVD drive to
    see if it had been modified.

    See: <http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2005/12/09/502014.aspx>

    -Phil

    Phil, Sep 1, 2006
  5. Philip

    Richard Guest

    Phil wrote:
    > Philip wrote, On 28/08/06 3.03 p:
    >> "I've just recently read that Microsoft's new Windows Vista will
    >> refuse to work with DVD-ROM drives that have their firmware modified
    >> to disable region coding."

    > They are dropping support for some old DVD drives. I don't see how
    > they'd even be able to check the firmware on every possible DVD drive to
    > see if it had been modified.
    >
    > See: <http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2005/12/09/502014.aspx>

    Lets just think back to the last time I put a region protected dvd-video disc
    into my computer for any purpose other then dvd-decrypter/dvd shrinking......

    Nope, cant think when that was.

    However this decision will surely piss a lot of people with laptops off a great
    deal having to mess around changing the region on the drive and resetting the
    counter all the time, with the required reboot for the new region to take effect.

    Richard, Sep 1, 2006