    Thanks in adv for any suggs.

    -ChrisCoaster
    , Mar 20, 2012

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > Currently I'm using Reg Clean Pro, has gone smoothly, run once a week.
    >
    > I have searched the web from end to end and want to know: Are there ANY
    > internal Registry cleaning/correction tools within Vista?
    >
    > Thanks in adv for any suggs.
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    No.

    Microsoft did, for a brief time, provide a registry scanner in one
    of their products. That was a standalone package, not considered
    part of the OS, and available by subscription (pay XXX per year).

    But when Vista showed up, they could no longer maintain it. Too
    much work I guess. Or too much damage. Take your pick.

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...download/a2ddd634-c46b-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

    The reason why this distinction is important "Microsoft did make
    a registry scanner", is for all the fanbois of registry cleaners.
    They tout the fact that Microsoft made one registry cleaner and
    provided support for it for a couple years, that registry cleaners
    are absolutely essential. I don't buy it. I interpret the saga
    as described above, as Microsoft discovering that this was
    a support nightmare, and would only get worse when new OSes came
    along. Too labor intensive, handling exception cases, fixing damage
    when it is discovered, and so on. It's just the wrong kind of
    solution.

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 20, 2012

  3. Guest

    On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:45:25 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:

    > No.
    >
    > Microsoft did, for a brief time, provide a registry scanner in one
    > of their products. That was a standalone package, not considered
    > part of the OS, and available by subscription (pay XXX per year).
    >
    > But when Vista showed up, they could no longer maintain it. Too
    > much work I guess. Or too much damage. Take your pick.
    >
    > http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...download/a2ddd634-c46b-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5
    >
    > The reason why this distinction is important "Microsoft did make
    > a registry scanner", is for all the fanbois of registry cleaners.
    > They tout the fact that Microsoft made one registry cleaner and
    > provided support for it for a couple years, that registry cleaners
    > are absolutely essential. I don't buy it. I interpret the saga
    > as described above, as Microsoft discovering that this was
    > a support nightmare, and would only get worse when new OSes came
    > along. Too labor intensive, handling exception cases, fixing damage
    > when it is discovered, and so on. It's just the wrong kind of
    > solution.
    >
    > Paul

    ____________
    I've also heard that such third-parties as the one I'm using are allegedly "no better than snake oil", but so far Reg Clean Pro(which btw bears the MSseal of approval if that means anything) hasn't had any negative impact onmy OS or anything runnng on it.

    -CC
    , Mar 20, 2012
  4. Paul Guest

    wrote:

    > I've also heard that such third-parties as the one I'm using are allegedly
    > "no better than snake oil", but so far Reg Clean Pro(which btw bears the
    > MS seal of approval if that means anything) hasn't had any negative impact
    > on my OS or anything runnng on it.
    >
    > -CC

    I wish there were good tools for generating metrics for the registry.

    Or even registry insert or extract benchmarks, for testing speed
    changes.

    A simple way, would be to drop down to the config folder, with files
    like "SOFTWARE", "SYSTEM" and the like (which are the registry files),
    and compare the before and after file sizes. Let's say Reg Clean Pro
    removed 0.1 percent of the entries. Would the OS become 1/0.999 times
    faster or roughly 0.1 percent faster for registry operations ? That's
    how I rationalize registry cleaning. It's not "snake oil", it's "math".
    Now, if you run it, and one of the five registry files drops
    from 20MB to 10MB, *then* I'd be impressed. But as long as it
    only removes a couple hundred entries, how much good is that
    going to do ?

    (Article on registry repair, will help you find the five files...)
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

    If the registry is really damaged, it's not going to load at boot.

    If the registry just has junk entries, they'll be parsed just
    fine, and walked over OK. The only cost is traversal time, whatever
    the algorithm happens to be. (I don't know how the registry is
    structured, and what O(n) it has.) But if we assumed for starters,
    a linear scaling with size, as an approximation, I really can't
    see a couple hundred registry entries disappearing, making a
    measurable difference.

    And you can do the research for me, by recording the before and
    after file sizes, on the five registry files. Some of them
    are bigger than others (like perhaps SOFTWARE or SYSTEM).

    Paul
    Paul, Mar 20, 2012
  5. Guest

    On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:51:28 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
    > .net wrote:
    >
    > > I've also heard that such third-parties as the one I'm using are allegedly
    > > "no better than snake oil", but so far Reg Clean Pro(which btw bears the
    > > MS seal of approval if that means anything) hasn't had any negative impact
    > > on my OS or anything runnng on it.
    > >
    > > -CC

    > I wish there were good tools for generating metrics for the registry.
    >
    > Or even registry insert or extract benchmarks, for testing speed
    > changes.
    >
    > A simple way, would be to drop down to the config folder, with files
    > like "SOFTWARE", "SYSTEM" and the like (which are the registry files),
    > and compare the before and after file sizes. Let's say Reg Clean Pro
    > removed 0.1 percent of the entries. Would the OS become 1/0.999 times
    > faster or roughly 0.1 percent faster for registry operations ? That's
    > how I rationalize registry cleaning. It's not "snake oil", it's "math".
    > Now, if you run it, and one of the five registry files drops
    > from 20MB to 10MB, *then* I'd be impressed. But as long as it
    > only removes a couple hundred entries, how much good is that
    > going to do ?
    >
    > (Article on registry repair, will help you find the five files...)
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
    >
    > If the registry is really damaged, it's not going to load at boot.
    >
    > If the registry just has junk entries, they'll be parsed just
    > fine, and walked over OK. The only cost is traversal time, whatever
    > the algorithm happens to be. (I don't know how the registry is
    > structured, and what O(n) it has.) But if we assumed for starters,
    > a linear scaling with size, as an approximation, I really can't
    > see a couple hundred registry entries disappearing, making a
    > measurable difference.
    >
    > And you can do the research for me, by recording the before and
    > after file sizes, on the five registry files. Some of them
    > are bigger than others (like perhaps SOFTWARE or SYSTEM).
    >
    > Paul

    ______________

    Finally, how would I get into some of the places you mentioned? And know what to look for?

    Vista seems tighter buttoned up than the Pentagon!

    -CC
    , Mar 20, 2012
  6. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > On Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:51:28 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
    >> .net wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've also heard that such third-parties as the one I'm using are allegedly
    >>> "no better than snake oil", but so far Reg Clean Pro(which btw bears the
    >>> MS seal of approval if that means anything) hasn't had any negative impact
    >>> on my OS or anything runnng on it.
    >>>
    >>> -CC

    >> I wish there were good tools for generating metrics for the registry.
    >>
    >> Or even registry insert or extract benchmarks, for testing speed
    >> changes.
    >>
    >> A simple way, would be to drop down to the config folder, with files
    >> like "SOFTWARE", "SYSTEM" and the like (which are the registry files),
    >> and compare the before and after file sizes. Let's say Reg Clean Pro
    >> removed 0.1 percent of the entries. Would the OS become 1/0.999 times
    >> faster or roughly 0.1 percent faster for registry operations ? That's
    >> how I rationalize registry cleaning. It's not "snake oil", it's "math".
    >> Now, if you run it, and one of the five registry files drops
    >> from 20MB to 10MB, *then* I'd be impressed. But as long as it
    >> only removes a couple hundred entries, how much good is that
    >> going to do ?
    >>
    >> (Article on registry repair, will help you find the five files...)
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
    >>
    >> If the registry is really damaged, it's not going to load at boot.
    >>
    >> If the registry just has junk entries, they'll be parsed just
    >> fine, and walked over OK. The only cost is traversal time, whatever
    >> the algorithm happens to be. (I don't know how the registry is
    >> structured, and what O(n) it has.) But if we assumed for starters,
    >> a linear scaling with size, as an approximation, I really can't
    >> see a couple hundred registry entries disappearing, making a
    >> measurable difference.
    >>
    >> And you can do the research for me, by recording the before and
    >> after file sizes, on the five registry files. Some of them
    >> are bigger than others (like perhaps SOFTWARE or SYSTEM).
    >>
    >> Paul

    > ______________
    >
    > Finally, how would I get into some of the places you mentioned? And know what to look for?
    >
    > Vista seems tighter buttoned up than the Pentagon!
    >
    > -CC

    There's a ton of ways to get in there. And a ton of ways
    to be "denied" :)

    What you can try, is go to the start menu, type "cmd" and
    when the search thing finds it, right click and "Run as Administrator".

    That opens a black MSDOS window.

    Now, in the MSDOS window (running as administrator), you can
    try the following sequence of commands.

    c:
    cd \
    cd windows
    cd system32
    cd config
    dir

    The dir command shows file names and sizes. There is probably
    enough scrollback on the command window, for you to be able to
    see all the files in there.

    That should put you in c:\windows\system32\config . At least,
    that's where the registry is on a WinXP system. And checking
    the file I keep with a listing of my Windows 7 laptop,
    they're in the same place. This listing was actually generated
    from Ubuntu, while looking at the laptop C: drive. I'll
    bet Vista does it the same way, in the same directory.

    C:\Windows\System32\config:
    total 111016
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 ubuntu 262144 2010-10-22 19:57 DEFAULT
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 ubuntu 262144 2010-10-22 19:57 SAM
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 ubuntu 262144 2010-10-22 19:57 SECURITY
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 ubuntu 52166656 2010-10-22 19:57 SOFTWARE
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 ubuntu 18350080 2010-10-22 19:57 SYSTEM

    If you do something like

    dir > output.txt

    that will dump the directory listing into the same
    directory, and then you can open it with Notepad
    and copy/paste as required. That is, as long
    as the permissions don't stop it. If it doesn't work,
    you can try

    dir > C:\users\account\output.txt

    and try and put it in a user directory. Somewhere that you
    do have permission to do it. (Replace "account" with your
    real account name, like "chris" or whatever.)

    Good luck :)
    Paul
    Paul, Mar 20, 2012