Windows Vista SP1 Friendly Advice

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by John Adams, Feb 25, 2008.

  1. John Adams

    John Adams Guest

    I was one of the people who got SP1 for Vista x64 through Windows Update the
    other day. The install went fine and my computer came back afterwards
    without any trouble. However, in the days that followed, I noticed that one
    of my Excel files was corrupted and I had to restore it from backup. I also
    noticed that I had a USB hardware error in Device Manager and once while
    installed Call of Duty 4, I had a BSOD. Also, I noticed that sometimes my
    system would take a longer-than-usual time to read files from my second and
    third hard drives.

    I checked into it and came to the conclusion that my INF drivers were not
    properly reinstalled during the SP1 changes. I have an intel P35 chipset.
    I got the inf auto-installer, ran it with the command-line switch "-overall"
    in order to force it to redo the drivers, and it seems like everything is
    back to normal.

    I just hope maybe this helps someone else out there who has these problems
    too.

    - John

    John Adams, Feb 25, 2008

  2. John Adams

    Seamus Guest

    I forgot to mention two other problems:

    1.) My network connection kept going in and out.

    2.) Windows suddenly reported that my graphics settings should be lowered in
    the Performance control panel app. (Which is ridiculous since all I was
    doing was browsing the internet with an nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512, not even
    playing any games).

    So far, after forcefully reinstalling the Chipset drivers, the system has
    been running better than ever. This makes me think that intel chipset
    drivers are one of the "small number of device drivers" that they are working
    on correcting before the greater SP1 push. It's no wonder they're waiting on
    this. Intel chipsets are practically ubiquitous unless you have an nVidia
    board or an AMD system.

    Now that I've worked this out, my SP1 system is faster, more stable (during
    Call of Duty 4 especially), boots/resumes faster, etc... than Vista RTM was.
    It's great when it works, but it sucks when it doesn't. Be careful out there.

    Seamus, Feb 25, 2008

  3. Hi Seamus,

    I have had DP35DP for three months. I have had 6 bios updates so far! Never
    seen anything like that. I say great work Intel!!
    --
    Lance Frca {497083/1008563} MVP Shell/User
    www.zardoc.com

    Lance Le Claire, Feb 25, 2008
  4. John Adams

    Chris Cowles Guest

    "John Adams" <> wrote in message

    > I checked into it and came to the conclusion that my INF drivers
    > were not properly reinstalled during the SP1 changes. I have an
    > intel P35 chipset. I got the inf auto-installer, ran it with the
    > command-line switch "-overall" in order to force it to redo the
    > drivers, and it seems like everything is back to normal.

    Can you elaborate a bit on the "inf auto-installer"? Thanks.

    Chris Cowles, Feb 25, 2008
  5. John Adams

    John Adams Guest

    Sure. I went to www.intel.com , downloaded the latest chipset drivers, then
    opened a command prompt where I had saved the installer and ran the
    installer like this: "infinst_autol.exe -OVERALL". Your installation file
    may have a different name, but the command line switch "-overall" is what's
    important.

    - John

    John Adams, Feb 26, 2008