Windows Vista SP1 client not getting ip address from 3750

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by news.verizon.com, Feb 17, 2009.

  1. Last year, I configured a dhcp pool on a 3750 switch for a lan party at
    work(I work for a university and part of the students activities). No
    problems all worked fine with Vista.

    It was time for the lan party again at work. I put the dhcp pool back on
    the switch but the Vista clients would not pull an ip address, but when I
    did a sh ip dhcp binds it showed their macs were bound to the ip addresses.
    The Vista client all had auto configure 169.254 addresses. I tried some
    things, googled and got some registry hacks we tried for the tcp system
    parameters but no luck. I took my Helium Spetrum Analyzer running XP and it
    got an address so I know the switch is configured correctly.

    For the work around I made the int vlan ip address 169.254.0.1/16 updated
    the switch settings and the lan party is going down.

    I found some vague references to this problem on my google searches, but
    nothing solid.

    Is there something that needs to be done on the clients to pull an ip
    address from the dhcp pool on the switch? They pulled an ip address from
    their helper address to the QIP DHCP server? XP machines work with no
    problems.

    Thanks,

    news.verizon.com, Feb 17, 2009

  2. news.verizon.com

    bod43 Guest

    On 17 Feb, 00:56, "news.verizon.com" <> wrote:
    > Last year, I configured a dhcp pool on a 3750 switch for a lan party at
    > work(I work for a university and part of the students activities).   No
    > problems all worked fine with Vista.
    >
    > It was time for the lan party again at work.  I put the dhcp pool back on
    > the switch but the Vista clients would not pull an ip address, but when I
    > did a sh ip dhcp binds it showed their macs were bound to the ip addresses.
    > The Vista client all had auto configure 169.254 addresses.   I tried some
    > things, googled and got some registry hacks we tried for the tcp system
    > parameters but no luck.  I took my Helium Spetrum Analyzer running XP and it
    > got an address so I know the switch is configured correctly.
    >
    > For the work around I made the int vlan ip address 169.254.0.1/16 updated
    > the switch settings and the lan party is going down.
    >
    > I found some vague references to this problem on my google searches, but
    > nothing solid.
    >
    > Is there something that needs to be done on the clients to pull an ip
    > address from the dhcp pool on the switch?  They pulled an ip address from
    > their helper address to the QIP DHCP server?  XP machines work with no
    > problems.
    >
    > Thanks,

    This reminds me of something I saw.

    I have 877 router as DHCP server and Vista, not sure
    about SP level when this was happening but now SP1.

    I have extensive experience of Cisco DHCP on XP
    and it just works.

    With vista DHCP was OK on Ethernet but not on Wireless.
    Wireless DHCP worked with other (cheap non cisco)
    WiFi routers.

    I found that changing a registry setting, (something
    about DHCP broadcast reply? if I recall correctly) swapped
    the behaviour round. i.e. worked on cisco 877 but did
    not work on other routers.

    Upgrade router to 12.4(15)T7 from something already
    not too old fixed it.

    So I think that there is something going on
    here but don't know what it is. I do not have
    a wireless sniffer so never figured it out.

    Maybe if you upgrade your 3750 to the latest sw it will
    magically work:)

    I found this today:-
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/sol...nter/App_Networking/extmsftw2k8vistacisco.pdf
    Deploying Microsoft Windows Server
    2008 and Vista on a Cisco Network

    It mentions that if IP V6 is enabled - and on vista
    it is enabled by default - vista does not
    get round to doing IP V4 DHCP for 128 seconds!!!
    after link up. I don't think I see that but maybe
    it has been changed by Microsoft since the Document
    was written.

    bod43, Feb 17, 2009

  3. It might be this technet article I found concerning the broadcast flags. I
    hastily tried these registry edits, but no luck. I might try more tomorrow.
    It seems that others have described this exactly as I have, yet there is
    only vague references on how to fix this.

    I found this to be only happening from a vista client with sp1 getting a
    lease from a 3750. My work laptop does will not get a dhcp address from
    this switch but will from our QIP DHCP server and from my broadband router.

    I am going to contact MS DHCP team tomorrow. I will post any conclusive
    how to fix it.

    Use of BROADCAST (B) flag in dhcp...

    DHCP server or relay agent sending or relaying a DHCP message directly to a
    DHCP client should examine the BROADCAST bit in the 'flags' field. If this
    bit is set to 1, the DHCP message SHOULD be sent as an IP broadcast using an
    IP broadcast address as the IP destination address and the link-layer
    broadcast address as the link-layer destination address. If the BROADCAST
    bit is cleared to 0, the message SHOULD be sent as an IP unicast to the IP
    address specified in the 'yiaddr' field and the link-layer address specified
    in the 'chaddr' field.

    By default, Windows Vista will start with BROADCAST(B) flag set to 1 which
    means DHCP Server or relay agent has to send reply to broadcast address.
    User can change this setting by defining REG_DWORD value
    DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
    registry key.

    As a new enhancement, DHCP client in Windows Vista has incorporated
    intelligence to toggle between the two values of the broadcast flag to
    interop with routers that do not support the broadcast flag. Once the client
    is able to acquire an IP address from the DHCP server, it retains the state
    of flag throughout the lease time.

    The toggle behavior will be controlled by a registry value
    "DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle" under
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}

    In case the registry value is set to 1, the DHCP client will do the toggle
    and only one DORA sequence will be done during the acquisition phase.

    The DHCP client will start afresh and send the broadcast flag in the DHCP
    DISCOVER packet with a value as controlled by the registry key. If it fails
    to get a response from the DHCP server within the allotted 1 min and the
    toggle flag is not disabled through registry, it will restart the DISCOVER
    process, this time toggling the broadcast bit sent in the packet. If the
    server is reachable this time, it will update the interface specific value
    of the flag in its cache to 1. This will be used to determine whether or
    not the flag needs to be set in every subsequent DHCP packet till the next
    DORA cycle. In the next DORA cycle, the value of the broadcast bit will
    again be determined by the registry value configured by the admin (or 0 by
    default).

    Update (November 05, 2008)

    If you run into issues with your Vista installation being unable to get an
    IP Address via DHCP, please send us the following information for further
    investigation:

    Router Vendor, Router/Gateway Model Number, Firmware Version, Your
    Location (Country & State), ISP. You may send this information via
    email to msnetworkteam_AT_live_DOT_com.

    Thanks,

    Ajay

    Team Networking

    Published Wednesday, November 08, 2006 8:56 PM by teamdhcp

    Filed under: broadcast bit, vista

    news.verizon.com, Feb 17, 2009
  4. "news.verizon.com" <> wrote in message
    > I found this to be only happening from a vista client with sp1 getting a
    > lease from a 3750. My work laptop does will not get a dhcp address from
    > this switch but will from our QIP DHCP server and from my broadband
    > router.

    I solved the same problem on two Vista laptops with this command (must be
    executed from cmd prompt in elevated mode):
    netsh winsock reset catalog

    You have to restart your Windows after this. Make sure that your registry
    settings regarding dhcp are defaults, so don't turn on broadcast flag bit,
    etc. Only in the case that above command doesn't works for you proceed with
    registry modification according to MS KB article.
    My Vista has been working ok with all dhcp servers with no problem, but
    after installing drivers for USB 3G mobile internet stick I lost the ability
    to obtain IP address from my home wirelles router and also from Microsoft
    DHCP server in my company if my client is behind DHCP relay (Cisco 3750 with
    ip helper command), but I could obtain IP address if I where in the same
    broadcast domain as MS DHCP server. After reseting some stuff with above
    command I've restored my ability to obtain IP from my wirelles home routet
    and also from my company server even if I'm behind DHCP relay.

    Regards,
    Igor

    Igor Mamuzic aka Pseto, Feb 17, 2009
  5. news.verizon.com

    an63 Guest

    I will try this today.

    Thanks

    "Igor Mamuzic aka Pseto" <-com.hr> wrote in
    message news:gne3ut$q68$-com.hr...

    an63, Feb 17, 2009
  6. news.verizon.com

    an63 Guest

    Tried everything nothing works and won't get a dhcp address from the 3750
    dhcp pool.

    an63, Feb 17, 2009
  7. news.verizon.com

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <qHBml.1098$>,
    "an63" <> wrote:

    > Tried everything nothing works and won't get a dhcp address from the 3750
    > dhcp pool.

    Have you tried any debug commands for DHCP on the 3750? We don't use
    our Ciscos for DHCP so I'm not familiar with what there is. There
    shouldn't be that much traffic so it shouldn't break your terminal
    session.

    Sam

    Sam Wilson, Feb 18, 2009